Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

XP Deus & coils question

Posted by D&P-OR 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
XP Deus & coils question
August 18, 2014 03:17PM
Has anybody used both the 9" and 11" coils on the Deus?-----What are the "pluses & minuses" in operation/performance of these two coils (in actual in-field use)?
Re: XP Deus & coils question
August 18, 2014 10:45PM
Yes I have. When we normally compare coils in different sizes we always assume that the larger coil will get more coverage and depth and the small coil will be better at unmasking. That sure was the case with the 13" Deus coil. It gets the coverage and maybe a little more depth than the 9 inch coil, but it was unbalanced and just not as useful in the iron. It was also a pain to pinpoint with. Something that is very important to me in well manicured lawns. Maybe a coil for Open fields? The 11 inch coil in my opinion is something special. It is on my Deus and it doesn't come off. It is about 1 to 1 1/2 inches deeper in my opinon which is right on par with the coil measurements. And it has the ability to unmask targets that a normal 11 inch coil would never see. If I had to choose between the 9 and 11 I choose the 11 easily. Some guys have swayed towards the small coil their entire detecting time. They buy a new detector and automatically get the small coil to go with it. You will not be upset with the 9 inch at all if you decide on it. I just prefer the deeper penetration and ground coverage. If I am giving up unmasking ability I can't see it.

And while we are at it I will say that I currently have the WS5 headphones. On my other Deuses(2) that I had I used the WS4 backphones. The WS5 headphones are great sounding and very comfortable. But I prefer the versatility of the WS4's. Hook the puck to one of the many headphones out there designed for it. Use the backphones, or use an adaptor and a pair of earplugs. I miss he backphones in the Summer heat.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2014 10:56PM by goodmore.
August 18, 2014 11:42PM
Well said,

The 11" coil is well balanced, light for it's size and separates within a fraction of the 9". If your going to have one coil the 11" would be the best choice.
August 19, 2014 02:53AM
Great analysis Goodmore. I've had my Deus for two months and own both the 9" and 11" coils. The 9" coil performed better at an old home site that was full of iron but for general use around parks, schools and ballfields I would choose the 11" coil every time. In my experience, the 11" coil runs a little deeper and allows more coverage per swing. To sum it up, get the 9" coil if you are going to focus on really trashy / iron infested sites; otherwise, choose the 11" coil.
August 20, 2014 12:30PM
Great info guys, thanks.----I'm getting (it's on its way) the Deus (3.2) with the 11" coil & WS-5 h.p.'s.-----I'd like to have the 9" coil also--too bad they are SO expensive.
August 20, 2014 01:28PM
Hi D&P, glad to hear you ordered the Deus. I would also recommend that you read Sabisch's Deus handbook and NASA Tom's Deus/GMP reviews on this site; both have greatly helped me since getting my Deus two months ago. Additionally, make sure you ground balance the Deus properly for added depth. In my area tracking GB doesn't work that well as the ground is VERY dry, hard packed in places and full of clay. I get better performance using the pumping or manual GB methods and running slightly negative. Best of luck to you.
August 20, 2014 03:34PM
The 11 coil is so light and it is not that big. Yeah in tight iron I would use the 9" but if the ground is not full of iron I would use the 11 or clean the area witht the 9 and then hit it with the 11

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
December 08, 2014 07:09PM
You know the old adage a fool and his money are easily parted ,the two inch deferential that Xp are saying on a gain of two inches .may be possible in perfect conditions in a laboratory ,but not in natural ground conditions ,.
Here's a strange thing I've had and sold on the 11x13 semi elliptical shaped coil which was a badly designed coil ,there's a lot of them gathering dust ,but if you've have one measure the outside of the coil and the do the ellipse formula ,and it comes down to an outer circumference of 37.79 just over eleven inches .
Then they bring out the lighter better balanced circular Eleven inch coil ,so which is the most efficient, all Deus coils are the same configuration , of course there will a depth gain but come on two inches for two inches not scientific ..IMO ...
December 08, 2014 09:20PM
I am not sure which one you are arguing for Rallymaker. NASA Tom says in his DVD that the volume difference between an 8 inch and a 10.5 coil is 1 gallon vs 5 gallons. I would say on that basis there can be a huge difference between the 9 and 11 inch coils.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
December 08, 2014 11:35PM
Goodmore made some good points. If have to choose one coil for Deus =11" coil. It's just more versatile overall. Deeper, larger, good weight. TID will ID deeper generally with 11" coil. There are only 3 reasons I can think of for the 9" coil. Above average ground to even hotter ground, the 9" will be deeper. Those sites were nails/iron bits are tremendous in quantity. And using the deus inside of towns with large amounts of EMI. Will the 9" coil find stuff the 11" coil won't?? You betcha. Will the 11" coil find stuff the 9" coil won't? You betcha. In trashy sites using 11" coil one will see a need to run reactivity=4 and maybe 5. With 9" coil I've never seen a need to run reactivity any higher than 4. D&P-OR you are in for some real fun with your deus. It's an easy machine to setup. Your biggest challenges will be these 2 things. Learning how to recognize iron, and learning what a deep signal sounds like. The deepies most of the time don't give a so-called beep tone, rather they sound a lot like a cat purring with the pitch of the cat purr varying slightly in pitch as you come across the target with the coil. Throw a little iron bit in close and the signal can be chopped a bit on the edge(s). I highly recommend an audio response setting of 5 or higher. I don't have any books on how to use a deus. I just got out and detected. I was fortunate enough to have a site that was the worst of the worst- iron and nails, and nail bits and I knew it had to have the goods. And I'd pounded this baby with some good units with various sized coils. You will love how the deus handles EMI especially if you have used a F75 machine. I don't know what other detectors you have, but I have a feeling most if not all of them will start collecting a little dust.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2014 11:50PM by tnsharpshooter.