Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

hunting with a partner

Posted by Rod-PA 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
hunting with a partner
August 19, 2014 03:14AM
I am looking for common etiquette when detecting with a partner. I have always hunted solo up to this point, so I am just looking for how folks deal with finds. I assume it can be very different if you have a steady partner versus a one time engagement. I am also curious how things work if one person is primarily a digger while the other is searching.

I know a solid answer is "just decide before you start", but I am looking for examples that work well for you, or failed badly, etc.

Thanks.
Re: hunting with a partner
August 19, 2014 03:24AM
Well I have a friend that he and I go detecting fairly regularly, each with our own detector and digging equipment. We divide the property into halves or four quadrants that are equal in sized any features that look promising such as huge old trees or sidewalks, clothes lines and such we make sure we each get half of the area to hunt so that it's equal. Then we take turns choosing first who wants which half. Works out fine, our finds at the end of the year are usually very equal. That's the fairest way we know to do it. Now trying to hunt with only one detector, I wouldn't like that at all but a couple ways to do that would be alternate the keepers him the first you the second and so on then vice versa next site or at the end of the day take turns picking the keepers until they are all divided up, deciding beforehand who chooses first. I would say the guy that owns the detector gets first choice but that's just my opinion. Good luck.
August 19, 2014 10:13AM
The most difficult thing i found about hunting with a partner dirt digging was visiblity. It was hard to get permission or places like parks made you very visible to the public. Thats why i really enjoy beach hunting now. Its a lot more acceptable and people dont think twice about seeing several people hunting.

I cant say id enjoy hunting where there is only 1 detector. When i have hunting with a partner we planned what part of the area we wanted to hit. We did our own thing.... but often came together to check finds. Finders keepers..... they kept their finds.

Dew
wjs
August 19, 2014 12:47PM
I usually hunt alone but when I do go out with someone, which is usually the same person, we will hit an area and usually just do our own thing. We try to stay close to each other so we can compare finds, cross check signals, etc. We do not split what we find or anything like that. What you find is what you get. It helps to have someone that has a similar style as you. I like to stay out a long time usually and the people I hunt with are the same way.
August 19, 2014 02:12PM
Hunting alone ...your call....getting a reliable partner(priceless)....had one for 8 years and lost him to physical problems...no set etiquette...just what works best for you and your partner...
Advisable to hunt with different units and just can't beat that backup and of course sharing supper together after a day in the field...a good partner will enjoy your finds and likewise and of course sharing traveling expenses also...its not about the finds its about the friendship....
August 19, 2014 03:08PM
Very good responses. I've had quite a few different hunting buddies over the years, as I prefer the friendly competitiveness, banter & learning that detecting alone cannot provide. A few words to the wise however, that nobody has yet touched upon...

Just as in every other facet of life, the people in this recreation are made up of INDIVIDUALS. Every individual has a unique personality & makeup. Why is this important? Well...

Unfortunately, jealousy CAN and DOES get the better of people. I've hunted with guys that were very good & able, yet, find more than them on a hunt or two, and you may not have future phone calls or emails returned. Edge them out on a hunt, and be ready for moaning, groaning & some sarcasm. I can go on, however, I think you get the point. I'm as competitive as a person can be, and yes, I've had my ass handed to me on many hunts over the years. I however, choose to be graceful about it, and use the ass-kicking as a motivation to ramp up my game. The ol' 'I'll get'm next time' attitude. Sadly, not everyone takes this stance. So...

Unless you find one of those rare individuals who can take a lickin and keep on ticking gracefully, from time to time, after a bad hunt, you might have to get creative on your hunts. Few ideas...

If you're out with someone and you've found a couple of good items, and your buddy hasn't, consider simply 'pocketing' the next finds and not saying anything. Or, at least until your buddy starts to pull some keepers. It IS frustrating to be out with someone who's kicking ass, and you're falling flat. Again, getting outnumbered doesn't bother ME, but, I'm not most people.

If you're out with a buddy and are cleaning up the goodies, and they're not, consider not doing somersaults & backflips when finding stuff, as it might just make your buddy more irritated. Yes, it sucks to have to perform all of this fakery & sleight of hand, but, if it helps the other person save face, it's worth it.

I have a VERY cool hunting partner now, but, I've had to cycle through several 'friends' to find him. This post isn't meant to be negative in any way, shape or form, I'm simply sharing something that I've seen a LOT of in this hobby. It's childish. It's dumb. It's unfortunate. It exists however.

And I haven't even touched upon hunting spots. That's another possible 'fly in the ointment' when it comes to hunting with others. Sadly, I've met mostly takers in this hobby. The givers are far & few between. If you're hooking up with a detectorist (unless he/she is new to the hobby), there should be a SHARING of hunting spots. I've swung with others that were like leaches, simply on the take for killer places to hunt. Another unfortunate reality nobody ever seems to talk about.

Hope you're lucky enough to find a 'good one' smiling smiley

Joe

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2014 03:15PM by njnydigger.
August 19, 2014 03:16PM
I used to have a hunting partner regular. We didn't have any problems getting permission to detect. We hunted in a competition. We each kept what we found. We didn't spit finds. It was like we were each hunting on our own. Whoever found the best find had to buy all the ice cream sundays when we were done.

Rick, N. MI
August 19, 2014 03:19PM
My hunting partner is my best friend Rybo we have hunted for about 15 years on and off. We don't even have to think about how we want to hunt an area we both know how the other thinks.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
August 19, 2014 04:27PM
I don't think we have addressed Rod's actual question yet which was when one hunts and the other recovers how to divide the finds. I have not done it but I have given it thought. Best I came up with is negotiate what they want to do. Help for free, hourly rate of pay, assess the value of finds and pay half or try to split finds taking turns picking (not very satisfying if one real special item is found). The personality of the partner will always drive how well any arrangement will work. IMHO no one way is perfect and will depend on individuals character and maybe mood that day. Hope this helped.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
August 19, 2014 08:10PM
Pardon me for missing the point at first....My idea of hunting with a buddy is both have a different unit and both hunt and dig....I did know of one husband who hunted and his wife dug but all in all doubt if you would find many diggers....in any case to me digging or retrieving the target after swinging is what the hobby is all about...of course some may think differently...in other words different strokes for different folks....
Unless one has a physical disability seems like odd sort of initial post...
August 19, 2014 08:30PM
I have two guys I hunt with occasionally, but I'm mostly on my own. One guy is very easy going and not competitive, the other is very competitive, but I've known him many years so I'm use to it. I enjoy hunting with both. The laid back guy will stay out as long as I, the other gives up in a couple hours. We don't hunt much grid work, just meander about. We don't split finds. If the other guy has gotten permission, I will stay away from the possible hot spots until I see that he has gone over them...like around an old house etc. We don't plan much. We will call each other over to check signals occasionally. I have looked up to see my buddy a couple hundred yards away, sometimes out of sight. No real rules, just courtesy, respect and fun. I get a thrill seeing them dig good old coins..it pumps me up...like having a good cup of coffee.
August 19, 2014 11:50PM
Dew brought up a good point about visibility. Back in the 70's, most detectorists hunted public areas early mornings , evenings, when very few people were around. The fewer the onlookers the better. Fewer problems that way. I don't hear much about that type of hunting anymore, or maybe its just not mentioned? To this day I usually hunt when there are no , or few onlookers near by.
August 23, 2014 07:00AM
it IS the main reason i hunt alone! don't feel comfortable "sharing"
sites i have purposely sought out to hunt!..i'm in it for ME!..i admit this!
getting jealous is indeed childish,HOWEVER,i do..so,because i do,
no hunting buddies...

(h.h.!)
j.t.
August 23, 2014 07:13AM
i have learned over the years that this is an excellent
idea!..as i have progressively gotten older,i find that i have less
patience with people who act like morons,idiots,and as*holes!
hunting at sites during "less peopled" hours makes damn good sense!
i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.