Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I found my first half dime today.

Posted by goodmore 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I found my first half dime today.
August 23, 2014 05:44PM
This coin has eluded me and tormented me for years. The CTX did me a solid today.

[metaldetectingforum.com]
Re: I found my first half dime today.
August 23, 2014 06:27PM
Nice find..good to get one crossed off the list...

down this way in camps we dig more half dimes than dimes..there always around the early 1850s too...

I know what you mean about taking along time to find a coin you want...it took me forever to get a 2center..always wanted one and still only have one...

might be another one there....what are you doing home already LOL...

Keith
August 23, 2014 06:28PM
Sweet

Discrimination is the root of all evil.
August 23, 2014 06:44PM
Cute little things aren't they....glad you saved it and brought it back into circulation...... although a much, much slower one.
August 23, 2014 07:11PM
WTG Goodmore!

The first of more to come! They ID lower than a silver dime around Indian/zinc penny range, Glad to see you didn't pass this signal up!

Congrats!
Paul (Ca)
August 23, 2014 07:33PM
Thanks guys. I have been hunting some old territory lately. The finds are few and far between. So to pull a keeper like this it was worth the digging of all that junk. I was hunting not to far off a well traveled road. You know the wheel weights, tabs, can slaw, anything that can fall off a truck type items. I even found a gas cap. There is more to hunt here I just need to wait for the cold weather to kill the vegetation. Then I can hunt the other side of the property. Plenty of neighbors too. I just need the courage to knock on doors.
August 23, 2014 10:30PM
Nice part of hobby...never run out of first finds....congrats and perhaps over the next hill ???
August 23, 2014 11:01PM
Hey goodmore---Congrats on that sweet find.-----That's one that has been on my "wish list" for years!---------Del
August 24, 2014 12:20AM
Great looking coin!Personally like the way it looks now,dont care for the polishedones. Congratulations!!!!!
August 24, 2014 12:29AM
Beautiful coin Goodmore! Congrats to you.
August 24, 2014 01:08AM
Big congrats goodmore. Gotta love finding those halfdimes.
Corey
August 24, 2014 01:48AM
Stunning condition. Looks like it was lost around the summer of 1854. Congrat's!
August 24, 2014 02:17AM
Just wondering why they stopped making half dimes and started making the nickel? Anyone
August 24, 2014 02:26AM
Thank you guys again. I have dug coins and gold items worth much more than this half dime. But this was a killer monkey and I'm glad it is off my back. Such a small coin. No wonder people lost them.
August 24, 2014 03:52AM
SUPERB find! I love seeing those old Seated coins. My ONLY half dime is ALSO an 1853, and I saw a friend dig an 1853 also. Strange!

Great dig!

Steve
August 24, 2014 11:46AM
Keith I had to call it quits early. The darn insects were chewing me up. This has been one weird Summer here in PA. Very cool at night. Last night I nearly froze in bed with my windows open. And it has been like that many nights. I am one of those guys that doesn't like putting repellent all over his body. I think that some day it will come back as something I don't even want to talk about. My season starts in the spring until the vegetation blooms. Then I am done until it dies back. With these cool temps I rushed it. I think the bugs were cold. They sure liked my warm blood.
August 24, 2014 12:30PM
The Half Dime, Trime and One Dollar gold coins were hated...... because too many people were losing them. (To us detectorists..... that's an awesome feature!).

The silver 20-Cent coin was not liked....... because 'mistaken identity' with the Quarter.

The $3 Gold coin and the $4 Stella gold coin were not liked......... due to irregular denomination value. (((The $3 Gold coin was designed to purchase 100 U.S. stamps))).

The Half Cent was liked......... until inflation ridded its denomination value.

The 3-Cent Nickel was 'mostly' liked; yet, was the exact size of a dime......... and was still a case of 'mistaken identity'.
August 24, 2014 03:40PM
Goodmore, you just have to spray a little Deep Woods Off on your clothing, hat and boots, not skin....it works. I keep two cans in my truck, one in each door compartment. I see the pests all around me, but they don't move in for the taste. I have noticed some people are mosquito magnets, like my wife. For some reason they don't bite me as much....smart alack comments welcome.
August 24, 2014 07:08PM
Nice condition too ;-)

I found the same one/date in the spring!

Always a welcome find.

Congrats goodmore ;-)

MRH
Wayne
August 24, 2014 08:43PM
I was just funning with you ........

yes those insects can be awful at times....

I dont have a problem with Mosquitoes for some reason they dont bother me.....but those dang yellowjackets can sniff me out a mile away...Or what usually happens is I dig into their inground nest...2 weeks ago I I was clearing a site off to hunt way back in the woods...I was using a sling blade....it was grown up pretty bad in briars ..it was an old house site that I got some civilwar relics out of and this one spot had produced a nice Confederate button..So I was going to use the DEUS in there to sniff out another I thought...

Right at the end of the last corner I was clearing...it was about 20x20 spot.....I go into a nest...I really got eat up !!!....one got me in the vein on the back off my hand it it swole my arm up to the elbow.....I got about 25-30 stings I guess but that was the one that caused me the problems...My chest tightened up and I felt nausea....The heat index was right at 100 so I did not exert myself to take the long walk back to the truck.I had done waded through head high briars to get in here so I did not want to take a chance on getting snake bit to....rattlesnakes pretty bad around here I wear snake proof boots but did not want to take a chance and compound the problems if i had to stop and set down where i could not see the ground well....So I got into the shade next to a creek and laid down for awhile with my hand it the water......after awhile I felt better so thought I would hunt some but those bees were still all over the site...I had to go back a few days after to get my sling blade thought I would hunt it did not see any bees ....first hole I dug here they come...So that site is on hold now till about October....The target I was digging sounded good too!!!

Bugs dont bother me Bees DO!!!LOL!!!

Keith
August 24, 2014 11:17PM
That's a lot of stings Keith. Laying down in a fire ant nest would have topped things off.
The most aggressive bees around here are those bald faced hornets. They build that paper ball with one hole, commonly called a hornets nest.
August 25, 2014 12:15AM
I hate them suckers Keith.Couple weeks back I was prospecting.There was a large boulder in a low spot on the bedrock. I figured it to be a good nugget spot, so with all my might I rolled that sucker on its side toward me...was prepared for a rattler...but not the big dang hornets nest I was eye to eye with. Im 48 man,but I can still haul ass! None got me,but I look back and they are swarming around the detecyor,pick,sunglasses and hat that I left behind. Took patience and stealth mode to recover my stuff,lol.
Glad you made it out ok dude,thats a big dose of stings.
August 26, 2014 10:13PM
Half dime, 3-cent, Peace dollar, seated dollar, and of course, the elusive gold coin.

Congrats on your 1st U.S. half dime find.

Those yellowjackets can sting you in one place, swing around and sting you in another.

Detecting since Feb, 2010
E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
CTX3030 with 17"x13" DD coil, 11" DD coil