Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Considering Garrett AT Pro - Thoughts?

Posted by jckays 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Considering Garrett AT Pro - Thoughts?
September 17, 2014 03:44PM
I have a Fisher F75 LTD and White's XLT. I mainly hunt for relics, but occasionally coin hunt to keep up my skills!

I am considering the AT Pro and would like feedback. My only concerns centers on depth on land. I am sure with practice, depth will increase. My observations from You Tube (and I don't trust Diggers smiling smiley) is that the items found tend to be 6-8" deep. Where we hunt, relics are deep just under the plow line in good (non-ferrous) soil.

The problem with my XLT is that it is beginning to show age. It has been a trusty machine killer on bullets and frags. With my XLT, we run a very sensitive program in All-Metal that can detect Civil War bullets 12" deep with Frags up to 18".

The Fisher I know can do the same, but still coming up to speed on it as I have only relic hunted with it 2 times. I believe my machine had a coil issue and have sent it in for repair. Hence, the sudden need for a back-up machine to replace my trusty XLT.

The Waterproof capabilities and positive aspects of the machine are quite intriguing. Thoughts are greatly appreciated!

PS: I have had an eTrac in the past, witnessed the V3i in action, T2, Tejon and other machines. I would like to limit my consideration to the AT Pro. Thanks everyone!
Re: Considering Garrett AT Pro - Thoughts?
September 17, 2014 04:27PM
There was alot of discussion on this last year. Try the search.Alot of good info/settings and videos from Keith.
September 17, 2014 08:38PM
I think if you like the XLT, then a MXT would be a good choice. I just don,t like the AT Pro, to much like the ACE. Good luck
wjs
September 17, 2014 08:44PM
I was able to get coins down to about 9 inches in my ground. There are some pretty impressive videos on youtube using the larger NEL coils.

[www.youtube.com]
September 17, 2014 09:51PM
I've an early MXT(bought it just after they came out), also have an atpro, I'm certainly no xpert (but have detected since 1988). The atpro has a rather quick target response,and is rather good at unmasking in trash with the stock coil and even better with 5x8 coil. I feel the mxt has slightly better visual id and slightly better depth with the 950 coil(also use the 3x9 jimmy sierra hot foot coil- which is out of production) than the atp with the 8.5x 11 But its apples & oranges for me, because Me & the atp cool off in july & august in Lake michigan and can't do that with the MXT. I wouldn't let go of either. The ATP is good on land also, but it's the rainproof &water use that caused me to buy it.
September 17, 2014 11:21PM
My personal opinion is that the AT Pro is a good detector for the price. But I don't think all AT Pros perform the same. The last one I had was a dog. Even in dry sand (why I bought it) I thought that it was poor in depth. The one I had first and sold to a buddy works well for him. For it's size the darn thing gets tiring to swing. It must be the balance. I also think the shaft system is poor. I hunted one time at the beach with mine and the shafts seized together. A couple grains of sand raised hell with the two shafts. It is not a wet salty beach detector. The adjustments you need to make for stability cripple the depth. It has nice audio. It does well in the iron. It is backed by a good company. If money is a factor then it could be a nice choice. But you will never see the depth numbers you quoted from an AT Pro. Maybe the Gold with a true all metal mode? But I never used one.

Like I said. For the Price. I think there are better detectors out there.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2014 11:34PM by goodmore.
September 17, 2014 11:51PM
My main machine for land is the XLT, I also have a AT Pro, I been using the XLT for about 12 years, the Pro for 4 years, I ussually hunt the fields with the XLT, then I go over it with the Pro and always find stuff I miss, 52 to 60 is where I find a lot of buttons, I wished they had the same VDI #s, when hunting with the Pro, I'll dig a 25 some time, thinking it's a nickle
September 18, 2014 12:10AM
JC... I've been concidering selling my AT Pro with both coils and headphones. Need to do some remodeling next month! It needs a new arm cuff. If interested, PM me. Probably in the 425 range plus shipping.

connortn
September 18, 2014 12:18AM
Save up and get the Deus for relics it is very advanced but easy to program very powerful and has one of the best unmasking detectors. It is super light super fast great depth once you start reading about it you won't want anything else. I have the At Gold and the only reason I kept it is because its has a great all metal mood. Also when I was hunting in Virgina last fall I was digging three ringers at 13 inches...but with the deus and how it works in iron I wonder how many keepers I missed...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
September 21, 2014 06:08PM
bump for the op
September 21, 2014 11:55PM
a new detector that is a competitor for the at-pro is the whites
mx-5..it would appear few guys are taking this detector seriously!
it is great on coins,and a super fast processor.believe it will be the new "sleeper"
in whitey's line up..

(h.h.!)
j.t.