Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

F75 - Interesting Observation

Posted by jckays 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
F75 - Interesting Observation
September 20, 2014 11:44PM
I buried a Civil War bullet at a measure depth of 10" in a plowed field. I was running in All-Metal mode, Bp, Sensitivity at 60 (due to EMI), Threshold +1. When coil was swept over the coil, it registered 6-7 on the VDI.

Audio was good, but the field was littered with nails registered the same with good audio response.

Switched to Discrimination, same result.

So, I likely passed over bullets.

Suggestions?
Re: F75 - Interesting Observation
September 21, 2014 12:00AM
10 inch bullets in plowed fields are tough..

yet you see now what you have to deal with...

in the all metal mode look for subtle clues to help you...you will notice nails sound weird not round in allmetal..sort of wa wa hits...minnie balls buttons etc will have a round sound in all metal...also the i.d.s form different angles of approach on a minnie ball with sweepspeed adjustment can throw up some different numbers..look for 11/12 to be the breaking point to dig or not...

Try other detectors...Try plowed field mode on yours....use boost...

10 inch bullets in distrubed or even at time natural dirt will come down to user skill level and also keep in mind you can only get what you can get..

Limitations abound in depth and i.d.

Welcome to the realization..

Keith
September 21, 2014 12:24AM
Thanks Keith. Great tips. Always enjoy your posts. Keep them coming!

I will try the suggestion of digging 11/12. Also, I will try varying sweep speed/changing angles. I did some of that, but not as much as I probably should have.

Friends I hunt with have an XLT that is killer on bullets at 10". It gives a Low Growl/No Bars on the screen. It's not 100% as deep nails can sometimes give the low growl/no bar.

The bullets where we hunt are deep (just under normal plow line). I did try plowed field, and same result.

I have an AT Pro on the way, so I will try that machine as well. I prefer the F75 on relics as I think it will have more depth. But, I will give the ATP a shot.
September 21, 2014 12:29AM
In all metal mode you should be able to max out the sens with acceptable ear strain. Not sure the ground you're in, but the 75 hits hard on lead with proper id....and deep....even with the Fe meter up a few bars. Did you have the 11"dd coil on it?
September 21, 2014 12:50AM
Yes. I had the 11" coil on the machine.

I am used to AM as that is all I ever used on an XLT.
September 21, 2014 06:11PM
bump for the op