Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Deus and EMI VS other Machines

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Deus and EMI VS other Machines
September 27, 2014 03:32AM
Okay guys

we've all seen just about every topic on the Deus there is to discuss

except EMI

I don't believe anyone's touched on this one yet??

I'd like to hear others experience/s with EMI and the Deus

personally I have found it to be relatively EMI prone even when hunting open fields out in the country side (more so in the city/suburban areas) but have had my share of it in rural areas too and that's no matter which freq. used.

In fact - there are certain areas where you can't even use it without turning the sens down so far that you have no depth left at all and can not tell falsing VS real targets (at least I have encountered this) and it doesn't matter if it's city or rural area/s either...

There's a few places I've hunted out in BFE that I just couldn't use the machine no matter what I did/tried but luckily (well - not really as I don't believe in "luck") but - I had my etrac or CTX with me at those times and had to use one of those in place of the Deus due to so much/excessive EMI (which FBS machines seem to deal with much better)(almost as well as a CZ)...

Anyone else have this problem?

Any suggestions (beyond changing freq. or turning sens down)?? Been there/done that and none of it worked and if it weren't for having an etrac or ctx with me at those times - I would have had to move on to a different spot altogether (and I mean like a mile or more) away...

PS

I also know there's times when EMI is present and affecting the machine but you don't hear it... the way you can tell is by not finding much in an area that you know has a lot of targets but your depth is being affected/hindered so much so that you're going for long periods without getting alot of signals when in reality - you should be hearing machine gun fire (or close to it anyway)...

What say you??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2014 11:49AM by MichiganRelicHunter.
Re: Deus and EMI VS other Machines
September 27, 2014 11:31AM
There will be times when EMI can't not be controlled, but I've found the following to be very productive on the Deus. Keep the iron volume low, just enough to hear it if you like. Then adjust the audio response level to 4 or even 3 will help with the EMI chatter. Pay close attention to the silencer, it self adjust when you make reactive adjustments. At a silencer setting of 4 you will loose a lot of depth, but the machine will run very quiet. It will not sound off on the small iron fragments found at old sites. I might also add silencer 4 makes a huge difference in EMI problems. This machine has opened up some sites where I thought for sure there was nothing left, but it takes a little practice to learn what to adjust and when.

Just my thoughts.
September 27, 2014 12:16PM
ive ran mine under power lines. Still find coins at 4", its noisy but will still hit targets
September 27, 2014 12:29PM
Yes the Deus sure can get chatty with EMI. With a little manipulation you can usually get it to settle down so you can detect. One of the things I found is that a pair of ear buds plugged into the remote can take a big chunk away. Elimination of the wireless signal to the headphones or use the WS4 adapter and eliminate the remote. But elimination of one of the broadcasts can do wonders. Sometimes frequency change helps, and like you already said sometimes it doesn't. Turning down reactivity also helps. I find running a low frequency and high reactivity is very chatty anytime. Regardless of EMI.

I once detected a mid 1800's house at a now very busy intersection. The place was loaded with iron and it produced some real great finds. I heard through my headphones every time the traffic signal changed. And that was on top of a constant hum. It was maddening at times. That is where I tried the ear bud trick and it really cut it down. Not all the way, but it made it manageable.

Sometimes I just use the CTX! I never had an EMI so far with it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2014 12:34PM by goodmore.
September 27, 2014 05:36PM
I have only encountered EMI issues with the Deus once and that was while detecting directly under power lines and with a friend who was using his CTX and was having EMI issues of his own.
4khz on the Deus was unusable but EMI decreased marketly at 8and was reasonably quiet at 12 and 18. You can not run in 4khz near a Minelab , either 3030 or etrac( nor an Explorer I would assume), as they are low frequency machines---I have tried to run both of mine to compare targets and have to shut the Minelabs off or provide plenty of spacing to mitigate the EMI/interference.