Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

1st Fall Field Hunt with New CTX ;-)

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
1st Fall Field Hunt with New CTX ;-)
September 27, 2014 09:54PM
Hey all,

got out to an old Brothel site with the new CTX I got from T-Manly (this is the 2nd ctx I've owned) --- but this is the 1st field hunt of the season with this one ;-)

Had to stay on the outside fringes of the field but still managed a few goodies -

nothing earth shattering but still a good hunt with a few nice finds including a Fatty 1864 and a 1841 O Seated Dime ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2014 10:08PM by MichiganRelicHunter.
Re: 1st Fall Field Hunt with New CTX ;-)
September 28, 2014 12:32AM
Nice going there.
September 28, 2014 01:03AM
Nice digs! What settings were you running?
September 28, 2014 03:01AM
Nice dude!!
September 28, 2014 03:18AM
Crosby Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice digs! What settings were you running?

Hey Crosby

Pretty simple,

today I used a wide open screen to hear it all and so that there's no nulling taking place (relic mode #2) and then modify it to run both Fe/Co audio, sensitivity auto +3, target trace on, high trash on, deep off, and the rest set to user preference (threshold, volume, etc).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2014 07:57PM by MichiganRelicHunter.
September 28, 2014 03:22AM
Nice Indian and seated...

Congrats...

Keith
September 28, 2014 11:56AM
What comes to mind is:

Those targets in that big open field..... are few.... and far in-between; yet, quite significant.
September 28, 2014 01:10PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> What comes to mind is:
>
> Those targets in that big open field..... are
> few.... and far in-between; yet, quite
> significant.

Yes and no Tom

there's a concentration area approx. 75 yrds x 150 yrds just full of iron (machine gun type/sound) where 3 buildings once stood (brothel, Gen. store, and Blacksmith shop)

but

as you move away from the main area/s the targets become more and more sparse

yet at the same time -- I know there's deep stuff there that I'm walking right over as I've dug larger stuff at 14"+ (things like big iron, hunks of alum. chunks of copper broken off of whatever, etc.)

so -- coin size objects at that range aren't even being detected by my machines (especially because of the iron infestation)

That seated dime sounded mostly like junk mixed in the iron but I kept getting a mostly solid target trace on the screen and a good higher tone every other sweep so it got dug ;-)

The type of machine you proposed in your thread/post the other day would be a welcome tool out there though!
September 28, 2014 03:57PM
And THAT'S the kind of hunting that is 'educational' and rewarding. A unsuspecting open field...... whereby, you swing a coil..... and hear nearly nothing for 100's of yards........ then..... you hit a hot-spot of iron. Sampling it.... you find (early generation) square-nails....... indicating good age. Then..... you find a couple more 'hot-spots' loaded with more iron. Two types of detectors are needed! (Yes, there are plenty targets well beyond detection range).
September 28, 2014 05:39PM
Congrats on the finds. Makes me happy to know you are getting a lot of good use for the CTX.. Keep us informed of the next hunt also.

Tom in SC
September 29, 2014 10:13PM
It’s very good to pull out some mid-1800s coins from a large field.

Congrats on the finds.

Detecting since Feb, 2010
E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
CTX3030 with 17"x13" DD coil, 11" DD coil
September 29, 2014 11:27PM
Digs_alot Wrote:
> It’s very good to pull out some mid-1800s coins
> from a large field.
>
> Congrats on the finds.

In Michigan no less. Most people don't realize that in the early to mid 1800s most of Michigan was still Indian territory. Anything pre 1850 is pretty impressive in our state unless you are in Detroit or Sault Saint Marie. Nice finds.
September 30, 2014 01:58AM

triplehooked Wrote:

> In Michigan no less. Most people don't realize
> that in the early to mid 1800s most of Michigan
> was still Indian territory. Anything pre 1850 is
> pretty impressive in our state unless you are in
> Detroit or Sault Saint Marie. Nice finds.

Yes and no to that one too

yes - Detroit and Sault St Marie are the oldest territory in the state as for being settled and you're much more likely to find something far older in those areas (colonial, etc.)

but

the entire southern border from a line starting in Detroit heading west but slightly south to Chicago (Hwy 12) was an old military trail/road that was used and settled all along the way far before the mid 1800s unlike most of the rest of the lower peninsula between the UP and Detroit which was later

I've seen Draped Bust (1803 / 1806) and Reale's (1700s) plus colonial tomback buttons and buttons from the war of 1812, etc. dug in certain areas down along that way all the way over here on the west side of the state in places like Sturgis, Constantine, White Pigeon, Etc.

Also -- most areas here in mid/west MI were settled in the 1830s during the logging era (pre early 1830s is when it was still wild with Injuns) in the middle of the state!

The township I'm working in where I found this 1841 seated dime was "established 1832" but that's when it was "established" - there were white men living in the area before then trading with the injuns, surveying tracts of land, etc. and I've only just begun to scratch the surface as for places to hunt there...

TREATY OF DETROIT, 1807
In 1807 President Jefferson thought it desirable that the entire eastern half of Michigan should be released from the Indian title, and he commissioned General Hull, then governor of the territory, to negotiate a treaty for that purpose. A council was accordingly held by him at Detroit with the sachems, chiefs and warriors of the Chippewas, Ottawas, Wyandots and Pottawatomies, which resulted in a treaty concluded on the 17th day of November, 1807.
By this treaty the United States acquired the Indian title to that portion of Michigan which lies east of a line drawn north from the mouth of the AuGlaize river in Ohio to a point due west of the outlet of Lake Huron and thence northerly to White Rock on Lake Huron. This line follows the dividing line between the counties of Lenawee and Hillsdale, and thence through Jackson and Ingham, along the line between Shiawassee and Clinton counties to near the middle of the same, and thence by direct course to White Rock near the southeast corner of Huron county. The territory covered by this cession embraces the present counties of Monroe, Lenawee, Wayne, Washtenaw, Macomb, Oakland, Livingston, St. Clair, Lapeer and Genessee, and a portion of Jackson, Ingham, Shiawassee, Tuscola and Sanilac.
It will be observed that the boundaries of this cession embrace the entire tract lying along the Detroit river and the west end of Lake Erie, which was ceded by the several treaties of Fort McIntosh, Fort Harmer or Muskingum and Greenville, thus making the fourth purchase of the Indian title thereto. Within its limits are also embraced the settlements of the Wyandots along the borders of the river and lake, a people who had made further advances than any of the other tribes towards the sedentary and industrial habits of civilized life.

TREATY OF CHICAGO, 1821
The next important treaty of cession was negotiated by General Cass and Solomon Sibley at Chicago with the Ottawas, Chippewas and Pottawatomies and was concluded August 29, 1821.
This cession covers that portion of the State which is bounded on the south by the south line thereof, on the north by Grand river, on the east by the west line of former cessions and on the west by Lake Michigan, excepting a small triangular parcel of land lying in the southwest corner of the State south of the St. Joseph river; and this tract was afterwards ceded by the Pottawatomies by treaty made at the Carey Mission, which was on the same, September 20, 1828, and then again by them in conjunction with the Chippewas and Ottawas by treaty made at Chicago, September 27, 1833. These treaties cover the southwestern portion of the State and embrace the counties of Berrien, Cass, St. Joseph, Branch, Hillsdale, Van Buren and Allegan, and also a part of Ottawa, Kent, Barry, Kalamazoo, Calhoun and Jackson.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2014 02:09AM by MichiganRelicHunter.
September 30, 2014 02:07AM
Great finds I have not had a dig like that in a few years but I plan on going over my dug out areas with the Deus

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!