Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Sunday morning posse!!

Posted by scoopjohnb 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Sunday morning posse!!
September 29, 2014 06:00AM
This week on my local forum, there was a bounty hunting thread.
Farmer had lost several pieces of his plow and the local dealer posted a thread if anyone was up for the job at hand.

Well,... yesterday morning the posse (LOL) gathered up at the side of the field while the sun just edged up over the horizon.
2 XP GMP's, 1 XP Goldmaxx, 4 Deus with the 9", 1 Deus with the 13x11" and me,.... with the CTX3030 and 17x13" "The Henry Rifle"

Just being roughly plowed in hard dry clay soil,... well it was hard going,... this stuff is as hard as concrete, loose big chunks of it.
Keeping your balance while walking is one thing, sweeping and digging is another!

Lowered the sens, opened up the disc, I started hunting for big iron. The kind that grunts at you and gives the occasional higher tone, has a fairly large pinpoint signal.
Several hours later we regrouped, farmer had arrived and we wanted to show him some finds.

A seasoned veteran with his XP Goldmaxx had found a part the farmer had lost during the week, also had several large pieces of historic iron.
I myself had some weight in the pouch consisting up of historic iron and a piece of his tractor he had lost in previous years.
The other guys had the usual targets if you're out hunting for coins and such.

Farmer was pleased with the result, we had one final sweep over the area and called it a day.
It was high noon and we settled into the local Saloon for some much needed refreshment.

As usual detectorists talk detectors, some attention was thrown my way,... being the odd one out usually does this.
Why such an odd choice in detector? That thing is freaky heavy!!
"Well",... I stated
" it would do for the job at hand and I'm fairly proficient with it"

The seasoned veteran with his XP Goldmaxx just smilled at me and said. "Give it another 20 years or so!"
Not sure what he meant,... guess I'll find out in another 20 years or so :-)

HH
Johnb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2014 06:09AM by scoopjohnb.
Re: Sunday morning posse!!
September 29, 2014 12:34PM
Great post John and thanks for sharing the beautiful picture with us.
Duke
September 29, 2014 10:03PM
Nice post that " statement " had me scratching my head also, will look for the follow-up in 20 years? HH
September 29, 2014 11:29PM
I would think he was saying it would be too heavy for your tired older body in 20 years. Great story. Reminds me of hunting with some of the grizzled old guys when I was much less old (Not that I will admit to being that old yet)...Stuart
September 30, 2014 06:31AM
Good call Stuart, just hit me like a ton a bricks, the kiss principle.Now where have I heard that? ha ha p.s.
'much less old" now I'm scratching my head again? lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2014 06:37AM by rapidroy7.
September 30, 2014 10:15AM
I guess when you really get to know a detector, you get to a certain point that a sensitivity control, a fine ground balance and a few tones is about all you need.

Off course you'll be familiar with all things detecting by then.

No amount of software driven gimmicks is probably a match for plain old experience.

When I got the CTX, I was always looking at the screen. More and more do I make the dig decision based on sound.

In 20 years or so, that lump called a CTX will probably be standing there gathering dust.

HH
Johnb