Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Audio on the DEUS is everything

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Audio on the DEUS is everything
October 13, 2014 04:03AM
Ive been working through some more modern trash this weekend and yes the DEUS is still amazing in the modern stuff...

but get your headphones right..

Im trying a ton of different speakers and styles, and the backphones still sound the best on it...

A note: the backphones are 17 OHMS...not 8 16 or 32 but 17....I find that really interesting....the DEUS can use any ohms but the tonal clarity is happening on 17 ohms...weird number...could it be this way on purpose???Hmmmmm,,,

Keith
Re: Audio on the DEUS is everything
October 13, 2014 09:48AM
I enjoy the back phones myself. Cool to hunt with. No sweating around the ears. I made a big commitment to the Deus yesterday. I dumped the CTX. Part of the reason is the weight issue. My shoulder is shot from being a working man. The other reason is the performance of the Deus. I feel I can take the Deus to any site that has been hunted to death and still pull a few keepers. I just didn't have the same experience with the CTX. I think the CTX is one of the best out there and in the right hands it can be down right lethal. Just not my hands. I click better with the Deus. I did have a final hunt with the CTX that got me an Indian and a V nickel yesterday. But those two coins were not worth the pain and Advil swallowing I had to endure last night. I will keep my eye on those AKA units. If they come out with a multi frequency unit that can hunt wet salty sand I'm afraid I'll have to visit Paypal again. Until then the Deus will fill my needs in the dirt. Keith another Deus thread! I think you sold quite a few of them.
October 13, 2014 12:54PM
I think Gary's videos/coops and this forum sold a Deus to me for sure. I liked the CTX too, but agree, the weight was tough to endure for 4+ hours of detecting and walking around in the woods with....that plus the fact that I would never submerge the thing in water..too risky.
October 13, 2014 01:43PM
Everybody is different, but I hate my backphones...they dont fit on me comfortably and I think they sound terrible. Just got a pair of CP6 Chef phones off a member here (thanks buddy!) and they are night and day better than my backphones. JMHO
October 13, 2014 03:21PM
So these are the phones that come with the detector..I got a pair of Vance headphones I will have to compair the sounds to see if they sound different...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2014 03:35PM by Lawrenzo.
October 13, 2014 03:28PM
sekypaleo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Everybody is different, but I hate my
> backphones...they dont fit on me comfortably and I
> think they sound terrible. Just got a pair of CP6
> Chef phones off a member here (thanks buddy!) and
> they are night and day better than my backphones.
> JMHO

I agree and use the backphones more out of convenience than quality. I think ambient noise has a lot to do with it but , as I've said before , the clearest and best sound seems to come from plugging headphones directly into the jack in the remote.
Keith , I would like to know what tone setting you are referring to or are you implying this to all settings. I find more "blending" of tones in the 4 or 5 tone settings than in full tone which is counter intuitive. I still find the full tone setting to be inferior to the Minelabs but I suspect that has a lot to do with the high reactivity and speed of the Deus.
October 13, 2014 04:03PM
goodmore Wrote:
> I enjoy the back phones myself. Cool to hunt with.
> No sweating around the ears. I made a big
> commitment to the Deus yesterday. I dumped the
> CTX. Part of the reason is the weight issue. My
> shoulder is shot from being a working man. The
> other reason is the performance of the Deus. I
> feel I can take the Deus to any site that has been
> hunted to death and still pull a few keepers. I
> just didn't have the same experience with the CTX.
> I think the CTX is one of the best out there and
> in the right hands it can be down right lethal.
> Just not my hands. I click better with the Deus. I
> did have a final hunt with the CTX that got me an
> Indian and a V nickel yesterday. But those two
> coins were not worth the pain and Advil swallowing
> I had to endure last night. I will keep my eye on
> those AKA units. If they come out with a multi
> frequency unit that can hunt wet salty sand I'm
> afraid I'll have to visit Paypal again. Until then
> the Deus will fill my needs in the dirt. Keith
> another Deus thread! I think you sold quite a few
> of them. Hey Goodmore I hear you loud and clear on the bad shoulder as I swung a hammer myself many a year. I also thought the CTX 3030 a beast to swing eventhough supposedly well balanced? For myself the E-trac is a lot easier to swing especially with the Sunray x-8 coil which I use the most. I've been thinking about the Deus though for the weight and it breaks down so easy and fits into a back pack for detecting in the woods. We are loosing a lot of are open area sites at an alarming rate so the woods in my area is the last frontier. If this keeps up I will have to move down south to sweet home Alabama as my family has a house and and plenty of Civil war sites to detect. I was wondering do most of you Deus guys use the 11'' coil or the 9'' coil? Thanks.
October 13, 2014 04:25PM
Speaker/headphone impedance is a nominal value. The actual impedance varies widely over the audio frequency range. The Deus Backphones probably have a little more going on, electronically, in the audio-processing department.
October 13, 2014 10:37PM
I got the 11 with mine. I like the extra coverage.
October 13, 2014 11:08PM
I like the 11 inch for coverage and more depth. But the 9 in iron is just great. Either one will have you smiling.
October 14, 2014 12:18AM
Oh I hate the way the backphones fit....but I like the way they sound...

Im thinking of pulling the speakers out of them and building me a set with them....put them in my own muffs...

Actually the DEUS speaker in the control unit sounds the best but I would need 2 of those to build my own....wonder if you can buy those speakers in the module..

What are chefphones??

Keith
October 14, 2014 12:30AM
Im reffering to the way the edges of the targets report...from tight to raspy...

The headphones and the quality are not appealing the speakers are...I beleive the machien may be dialed in to them or they are special made...never seen headphones listed as 17ohms...

I hear the Ws5 phones sound good too..hate to spend 400.00 on a set of those...but then I could grab another coil and have a extra machine...

Not sure on the Vance phones what he is using for speakers...

I dont like the way the gray ghost and killer bs sound on the DEUS...Sound tinny..

I have some koss that do ok...at 16 ohms... the 8 ohms are no go ....

I have some phillips that I got with a Nokta...not sure the ohms but they sound sort of ok but have a bit of muffling....probably low ohms..

Ive never been fond of bassy sounds or high ptich sounds...middle of the road works well on the deus....Some say the Ws5 are bassy...

Same on the GMP I think the XP wired backphones sound the best.....17Ohms..

Keith
October 14, 2014 02:26AM
I've used

Koss (didn't/don't like them) at all (too deep/bassy sounding) and are too big/bulky

the backphones (they're ok) but a bit high pitched -- don't have any outside noise reduction and are flimsy

the ws5's --- very good compared to the above aforementioned (sound way more clear/crisp) and fit comfortably but also lack outside noise reduction (you expect more for $400) for sure
(are very good phones if you're hunting where there's no background noise) ie (cars/trucks passing by, people talking/kids playing, industry noise, etc.)

now use the Vance phones -- they are a bit different sounding (I'd say more in the mid range) --- the modulation comes thru very well and they reduce outside noise extremely well to let you focus on your signals coming thru
(very good phones for the $$ --- $100 or so)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2014 02:36AM by MichiganRelicHunter.
October 14, 2014 07:23PM
Keith:
[www.chefphones.com]

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
October 14, 2014 08:07PM
thanks Sven!!

Cheaper than Vance phones....look the same .

Keith
October 14, 2014 08:24PM
theres always the xp backphones with the wires connection and theyre cheap too .
October 14, 2014 08:30PM
There is also the WS4 adapter that can be used to hook up a pair of headphones. The XP people have made the unit very versatile.
October 14, 2014 10:37PM
Might want to double check on shipping time on the Chefphones before ordering as they were very slow to deliver a while back. I have a set that can be used with a chord also and love them .
[www.chefphones.com]

Much more comfortable than the others to me.....
October 14, 2014 10:55PM
Any usa dealers of these chefphones?
October 14, 2014 11:56PM
fsdigital12 Wrote:
> Any usa dealers of these chefphones?

Strictly a UK product. Will ship most places.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
October 15, 2014 02:08AM
Keith,

I've tried several different type and my two favorites are chefphones and the one cup RattleSnake from Detector Pro, Modified the Rattlesnake set and replaced the speaker with a more crisp one and of course mounted the wireless module clip to the left side.

My chefphones have never been used out in the field, Only for testing purposes. Prefer one cup headset for my hunting but with winter around the corner may spring for the chefphones.

Ordered mine from the owner across the pond, When I ordered mine he was back to full swing after an illness. Understand that was the reasoning for orders not shipped on time, But as far as I know he's back in full swing.

Paul (Ca)

October 15, 2014 02:31AM
Paul: Your headphones look just like the Vance headphones I have Howard Leight are on my phones..

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

October 15, 2014 08:32AM
Hi Guys a bit unimportant but the Vance headphones look like Chefphones and not the other way around the CP6 have been on sale since November 2012.
On the subject of speakers you have got to forget the ohms the 17 rating just happens to be what these speakers are which have been chosen for there "sound" but this sound is only applicable when used on the backphones ie no reverb as there is no actual headphone, no metal detector manufacturer actually makes their own headphone and so all are a "best fit" off the shelf. As said if making your own the important part is matching the speaker with the shell, the larger the shell the more bass you will have and therefore you have to start with slightly more treble than would normally be acceptable.
An example is Grey Ghost, KillerBees, Nugget Busters and Sunray Pro-Golds are internally all exactly the same, the same speakers, same potentiometers and same switches and wiring but all have a slightly different sound because of their shape.

Chefphones

PS. still in and out of hospital but back in 80% production.
October 15, 2014 09:15AM
Thanks for posting Chefphones, And sharing the headphone cup/speaker information wasn't aware cup size effects audio.

You get better now, Thoughts and prayers are heading your way.

Thanks again,
Paul
October 15, 2014 10:26AM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
> Paul: Your headphones look just like the Vance
> headphones I have Howard Leight are on my phones..

Exactly the same!
October 15, 2014 11:44AM
Sure looks like the same phone Lowboy, Maybe the differences are speaker size/ohms? Think Chefphones had them out first, Still a nice set with outstanding audio.

Paul (Ca)
October 15, 2014 08:12PM
Good info Chef..

Did not think of the accoustics in the design...

I may well be in touch with you to try a pair.....yours are a good bit cheaper than the U.S. counterpart ...Maybe the shipping would equalize the cost though not sure what you charge to ship to the U.S.

thanks for giving insight...Very curtious

good luck on your medical issues..

Keith
October 15, 2014 11:11PM
I'm only guessing on the speakers that are in the Vance model but given that they are 150ohm then possibly they're Audiosears speakers the same that are used in Grey Ghosts etc I did try these but found them a little "tiny" for my liking as I was looking to get as much information from a two or three tone program as possible but as I tell people headphones are very subjective and if you've learned the tones from something like an Etrac using a $10 pair of headphones then to you that's how the machine is meant to sound and who am I to tell you otherwise.
Shipping is the same worldwide from around the corner to Australia, $8.50

Many Thanks for the well wishes.

Take care and good hunting.
October 18, 2014 12:58AM
I made an adapter to use my Killer Bees head phones with my Deus. They are perfectly matched with the F75 and Gold Bug, the audio is excellent in every way. Small nuisances can easily be detected, but.
On the Deus they lack a tremendous amount of clarity. Even though the Deus back phones hurt my ears the audio is far superior when it comes to the small and very unique audio nuisances many targets can give in the ground. As I mentioned in another post, I can almost, 100% of the time identify a steel pop pull tab with my Deus. So that said, I'll use the killer bee phones in the winter when I need my ears completely covered to keep me warm.
October 18, 2014 03:39AM
The vance muffs are so tight and you can't really bend them...also I am going to try my other phones with the adaptor and see how they sound they are the Uniprobe a probe and headhones all built into one unit

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]