Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

100 mW maximum transmit power?

Posted by Ed-CZ 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
100 mW maximum transmit power?
October 13, 2014 05:43PM
I have seen many quote that the maximum TX output power allowed in a detector, due to Part 15 FCC compliance, is 100 mW. The reason I ask is because if indeed detectors are included in FCC's definition of a Part 15 compliant intentional radiator, the detectors would require an FCC compliance label. I've never seen this on any detector. Also, the other thing that has me wondering is the extremely low frequency the metal detector operates at. Albiet the output waveform is rich in harmonics, no radio services exist in that frequency range that any detector could interfere with.

Is there actually a 100 mW limit on metal detectors?

Ed
Re: 100 mW maximum transmit power?
October 14, 2014 12:12AM
No theres no limit..

The freq a detector transmits on would require a huge antenna to travel...the 10 inch or 15 inch coil you use is of little effect on transmitting great length's..

I beleive they are labeled unintentional radiators...

Update::::: I just did a goodle search on the subject and heres what Carl had to say on the same question you asked..

"There are no FCC regs that apply specifically to metal detectors. The old "100mW" limit is a myth. Detector coils are horribly inefficient "antennas" and do not support far-field EM transmission."

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2014 12:33AM by Keith Southern.
October 16, 2014 06:45PM
typically detectors only need to worry about FCC Part 15 Subpart B is for unintentional radiators. Fortunately for them this is just manufacture stating compliance (9kHz+). However some have paid for testing to verify compliance. If you do and OET search on FCC website you can see entries from FTP for F75 and G2. Whites has recently tested the TRX.

There is an entry for Minelab for the CTX due to wireless phones not UR. I don't see entries for the V3i or Deus. Most be proprietary wireless not needing FCC regulation/authorization.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2014 06:46PM by detectingMO.
October 16, 2014 06:56PM
Now that I look, Minelab has a new detector in testing! Using wireless. They have some pictures, manual, schematics hidden with confidentiality for 3 months but check this out.

gpz7000 metal detector

Wonder if it's just a gold detector with wireless phones.

[apps.fcc.gov]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2014 07:04PM by detectingMO.
October 16, 2014 07:31PM
Quote:"I don't see entries for the V3i. Must be proprietary wireless not needing FCC regulation/authorization."
True - the transmitter in the main unit is an off-the-shelf module, which will be compliant in its own right.