Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Fors CoRe Thoughts and Testing Videos

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Fors CoRe Thoughts and Testing Videos
October 17, 2014 08:42PM
Shot this to show the CoRe..

[www.youtube.com]

Keith

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2014 09:38PM by Keith Southern.
Re: Fors CoRe unpacking Video
October 17, 2014 10:10PM
Ok Keith. I am holding my breath. Waiting on the test video....lol

Tom in SC
October 18, 2014 03:26AM
You make good unpacking videos also

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
October 19, 2014 03:35PM
Nice video Keith ,like always cant wait to see what the outcome on Fors CoRe will be,could be interesting. thanks for all the videos.
October 19, 2014 04:16PM
Nice video Keith. Haven't heard much about those detectors. What attracted you to it?

Best,
Albert

edit - I can't seem to create a new thread, get this message
"Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /discussions/posting.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

Any ideas?
October 19, 2014 05:08PM
Looking forward to your take on the fors CoRe Keith, Think you'll like it allot.

Paul
October 19, 2014 05:14PM
Good video Keith. Look in the pocket where the stock coil was stashed. Should be an extra scuff cover in there, closed instead of open.
October 19, 2014 05:15PM
Your using a questionable word ...could be any word..the server blocks it...I had dam problem a couple months ago..my word was po K er

keith
Update for in field thoughts..
October 20, 2014 03:05AM
Ok Got a few hours on the FoRs

This machine is extremely Powerful....

it blends the two tone's in a VCO audio report.......Also breaks the low tone to high tone at 40 yet is more bleedy on the low tone......The blend is very advantagous....

the Two tone mode is in hyper gain....and is sparky yet not erratic type noisy ..just sizziling type audio...

I have to run the sens around 50-60 out of 100 mostly while in Two tone...in 3 tone its using a different programing and is stabel at times up to 100 ....it punches through ground cover very well even using the unique sized small coil...

The small coil (4.7 x5.2) is AWESOME in iron...it sees stuff that no other machine I own or have used can see....It finds the smallest of items in iron...I mean small...never dug so many 40-50 targets in nails ...and some quite deep...6-7 inches using small coil..I tested it on one site I can not get signals in...and found a handful of small items in just 2 hours...I feel the machine is a Gold Machine with a Discriminator while in two tone....

The Stock coil is also good at separation and Punch....

Havent got to use the big coil in a real world hunt yet...test garden is very deep though...

I have alot of comparison testing to do....

I can aslo say at first i thought the Flashlight was a bit of whatever....but I can say wiht ti getting darker earlier i have enjoyed having it the last few evenings....it really lights up the area in front of the coil...

also machine is built like a tank...Yet is light...feels indestructible...

Its still a pure relic unit ....it does have a three tone mode and to be honest I have not used it much yet...yet it breaks tone from mid to high at 79/80 and zincs come in at 82 so does indians and .58 caliber minnie balls..

Flying Eagle comes in at 63

Nickle 56

Shot gun hull 52

Double Pull tab 59

all these are mid tone..

Foil dead on 40...

Unit blends the 3 tone just like the two tone...a target like a flattened bullet will read 79/80 with the Blending of the tone into a roll tone..

Unit is very talkitive...like to use the High Ohms killer bs type...

You can set your high tone pitch on two tone...

Freq shift works well in EMI prone areas...

Unit has the gain really turned up into no masn land.. and if your nto used to runnig a very powerful machine it can give faslel readings at dpeth till you learn the nuances...If you want power you have to be ready to learnt he units language..

Again what it sees in iron nails is quite above avaerage...and can see things others cant because of the unique small coil,, loads of power and target tone blending....

I see now that the DEUS has to have a Small coil...

This small coil pushes the envelope in nails and even weird shaped iron...it is very centered/narrow/tight and 'not hot' off the edges...can hear micro targets right next to say a large bolt size iron...

Keith
Re: Fors CoRe unpacking Video~~~~~~~~~~ Update for in field thoughts..
October 20, 2014 04:00AM
It may be that the Deus is going to have to design a small coil or has...lets see what the next update brings to the table. I think when they added the 3.2 to fix a few problems they may have been working on the next big update but needed time to disign it. I think Paul is hunting with the detector you are using and the Deus and likes them both...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

October 20, 2014 07:19AM
I have the Fors Gold Lawrenzo,

Both are similar with the exception the Fors CoRe having an extra mode for beach and the Fors Gold 2-tone boost mode may be designed more for nugget hunting. We'll have to wait and see until someone compares both, Think Keith or I may switch for a spell or something to that effect see what the differences are. Both 2-tone modes may be the same?

True, I do like them both (Fors Gold and Deus)

Paul (ca)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2014 07:19AM by Old California.
October 20, 2014 09:28AM
When the FoRs first popped it's head on this forum many said it was an a re wrapped F75. So how does it compare to the F75?
October 20, 2014 11:32AM
I would have kept my Deus if there had of been a small coil for it.
I never understood XPs claim that the Deus would not benefit any by having a small coil. With all the options available on the Deus with a 6" coil it would be unstoppable.

Updates that would make me come back.
Small coil would do it.
Improved ID at depth would be icing on the cake.

Pac Man
October 20, 2014 02:33PM
goodmore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When the FoRs first popped it's head on this forum
> many said it was an a re wrapped F75. So how does
> it compare to the F75?

Most mid-frequency detectors are a rewrap of a 15 kHz Groundhog.

The F75 and FORS Gold are very similar. I spent a couple hours in the park with both comparing found targets, and did not get a clear advantage with either. These are a couple of my favorites now so will be working with both a lot in the near future to help me provide a better answer. The F75 obviously has more features and far better access to on screen functions. The Nokta for prospecting at least has a big edge with the optional automatic ground tracking.
October 20, 2014 03:29PM
I feel the Fors CoRe is more along the lines of the T2 istead of a F75...

4AAs
40 two tone break
VCO audio

But also it has the Audio of more of a AT-PRO but faster....more like a GMP/AT blend

But one thing that is unique is the POWER tha machine has in dirt....

I wanted to try it for Depth using the big coil but the small coil Caugth my attention with the unique slightly out of round shape...

What I see wiht it in Iron trash is the features combined with the small coil sees targets .....not that the other's could not too...But they dont have this coil size..

That's what really got me on the AT-PRO,,, EXCELLENT machine...but it needs more punch and a powerful small coil...the 5x8 is a great coil but that sniper 4.5 they have is dead on depth....If Garrett would get a small coil with depth coupled with there audio in iron it would be awesome....

First texas has powerful small coils but the audio does not roll blend on the unit so a fasle from a legitimate hit is hard to tell..

Ive requested from First Texas a Tone break and Blendy tone roll Audio....if they had these tow things installed and did nothing else their I feel their units would unmask as well as any units made...You have to hunt by sound nuance in carpets of nails. maybe one day...

The advantage I see with the CoRe is the UNIQUE styled small coil that's powerful and well desinged to not be hot off the sides coupled with blendy Audio...Its sees tuff the DEUS/GMP does not as well as the FT's T2 F75's in iron...albeit its small targets...but then again the DEUS sees stuff they cant and the T2s/F75s have advantages too...

Im just reproting the things I see as I go...and the small coil is the first thing that grabbed my attention upon running it...

Keith
October 20, 2014 03:57PM
Regarding ground tracking versus ground grab on the F 75 – I found the following in a post by Jim Hemingway one another forum. The DJ he referrs to is Dave Johnson at FT.

"BTW, I did write to DJ about a year ago encouraging him to incorporate autotracking on his next flagship / prospect unit, but no dice. I suppose he's never nugget hunted in really bad variable ground where the ground phase can shift dramatically in a few yards. Still, in a pinch you can push the trigger forward on F75, it works fine but there is a very slight sensitivity loss here. Same holds true for MXT unless you lock it. Absolute best depth performance sometimes takes a back seat to dealing with ground first, and MXT goes to the front of the class in that department."

Someone then pointed out you could use a rubber band to hold the switch forward.

Anybody tried it?

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
Nail Deck Test Video
October 20, 2014 06:07PM
how about the same test but also with the Deus...

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

October 20, 2014 06:31PM
lytle78 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Regarding ground tracking versus ground grab on
> the F 75 – I found the following in a post by
> Jim Hemingway one another forum. The DJ he referrs
> to is Dave Johnson at FT.
>
>
>
> "BTW, I did write to DJ about a year ago
> encouraging him to incorporate autotracking on his
> next flagship / prospect unit, but no dice. I
> suppose he's never nugget hunted in really bad
> variable ground where the ground phase can shift
> dramatically in a few yards. Still, in a pinch you
> can push the trigger forward on F75, it works fine
> but there is a very slight sensitivity loss here.
> Same holds true for MXT unless you lock it.
> Absolute best depth performance sometimes takes a
> back seat to dealing with ground first, and MXT
> goes to the front of the class in that
> department."
>
> Someone then pointed out you could use a rubber
> band to hold the switch forward.
>
> Anybody tried it?

I have not. What is interesting is Dave designed some of the best ground trackers made, and now does not think we need it. From an engineers standpoint, sure, it has issues. But the benefits as Jim said well sometimes outweigh the costs. The thing is, let me decide! I can turn it on or turn it off and that should be left up to me, not decided for me. All VLF prospecting detectors should have a ground grab, a manual ground balance override, and an automatic ground tracking option. Right now that is GMT, X-Terra 705, and the Nokta units. I also want on screen target id while in all metal plus the option of two tone ferrous, and now you are down to just the Nokta models.
I believe the Deus is already on my youtube channel Lawrenzo..might have to search..sure it's on there..

Keith
Going from a hit or miss memory, I don't believe D.J. is a detectorist.....please, correct me if I'm wrong.
The switch is a 3 position sprong loaded both ways to retirn to center. If the "trigger forward" switch really produces a usable tracking mode, then perhaps the switch could be changed out for a normal 3 position switch. I guess the first step would be to test and characterize the performance with the switch forward as far as changimg mineralization, hot rocks, detecting depth, etc. Would be nice if Dave would share his thoughts.

Rick Kempf
Keith,

Out in the open areas up in gold country away from iron ran with tracking on the Fors Gold, Smooth as silk no issues what so ever with mineralization a joy to use.

I feel these are one of the strong points with the Fors Gold, Great detector for under a grand!

Paul
Yes Paul it has alot to offer for 999.00..auto tracking is one..

Smooth all metal mode coupled with that in bad ground can be a godsend ...

The extra coils added and its a very good universal machine...

I think they call your 2 tone mode Boost..

but on mine it's called DI 2 and it's also juiced up the manual says this is the hottest disc mode Vs DI3...Ill bet the same modes.. different label..

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2014 10:54PM by Keith Southern.
I guess that I'm a little confused. It seems like all the reviews of the MXT, Gmt, etc. I read included the preference for operating with GB locked to avoid "tracking into" a weak target. Is the Fors gold somehow better at avoiding this problem than previous ground tracking detectors like the GMT, MXT, Lobo Super Trac? Or is it just that it's nice to have the option - in which case I guess i'll find a rubber band and try my "auto ground tracking" F-75 in some ironstone.

Always something new to wonder about and learn - I guess that's why these machines fasicinate me so much.

Rick Kempf
Rick I actually find the MXT Ground track to be to how should I I say AGGRESIVE...

when it jumps from one value to another it at time over tracks and becomes to positive...I always wanted the MXT to have a manual ground mode so I could off set it when needed..

I'm not a huge fan of Auto Tracking but in a lot of dirts especially prospecting where it's required to have a constant update in severe minerals to hear the small stuff the CoRe does admirably. ..the 705 does too...

nothing whatsoever wrong with an MXT just at times it can get ahead of itself in certain dirts...

yes there's alot of great units available nowdays...no excuses to not give it your best when hunting..

Keith
Unmasking video Test
October 21, 2014 02:40AM
Re: Unmasking video Test
October 21, 2014 03:01AM
I like that you use standardized test objects like the 12d nail,and the nickle.

"Rolley - Blendy audio" - the Navy lost a great Sonar man when you didn't sign up! LOL!

Rick Kempf
October 21, 2014 03:56AM
Rick, I always prefer locked or fixed ground balance when it makes sense. When covering ground for hours however the worry is not tracking out a target but in finding a target. Auto keeps the unit at optimum level over changing mineralization with less worry over monitoring and updating the ground balance. Minelab in meetings makes a good case for many people simply not being as good as their automatic tracking and they recommend most people use it, and given the proficiency level of people that only get out but rarely that is good advice. For me, it helps the most in places where the rocks are so mixed up, like a cobble pile, that there really is no one good setting, and tracking just smooths it all out. In, the best thing is to have it available, and use it or not as needed or desired. I would rather have it and not use it, than need it and not have it.
October 21, 2014 04:04AM
Steve,
Thanks for your usual clear explanation.

Rick Kempf