Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

If detecting, etc. is causing you pain - Remedies

Posted by earthmansurfer 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
If detecting, etc. is causing you pain - Remedies
October 19, 2014 06:23PM
Hey guys, I see it mentioned all the time around here (just read Keith’s Deus Sound thread and saw it in there a few times.) I used to be a weightlifter and hurt my shoulder and came across some supplements that REALLY help and are SAFE. That last part is key for me. I won't take harmful pharmaceuticals unless the pain is unbearable. Since that time other hurts have surfaced and I’ve mostly stayed on top of them.

This is a bit complicated, but I'm just gonna run through my experiences and 100's of hours of research to share with you what I have done. I'm not going to give all the evidence here, I'm just sharing. Feel free, of course, to chime in and share your experience (dosages would help) and remedies. I'm not a doctor, so take what I say as just a friend sharing with you.

If you have arthritis, missing cartilage, meniscus, etc., giving your body the support to heal itself can really surprise you. If you have bone on bone in your knees, or near, the body can still heal itself. If you have muscle pain (e.g. back pain, as I do) it is a bit more tricky as there are many causes for that. I will say since supplementing with Calcium AND Magnesium, my muscle cramps completely stopped and my back pain (from a nearly healed ruptured disk) has gone down a lot. Just using Magnesium didn't help.

Here are some supplements I've used and usually find that using them with one another can allow for a lower amount (and hence less money):

First I want to say that having a great vitamin and mineral supplement to go along with the following are KEY. Your body will just function better and the supplements to follow will just work better (though they work on their own as well, if you happen to be broke). I eat organic but know I can't get all I need from my food as the way we have been farming has just removed too much from the ground and we don't back in enough (at least not most farmers.) For years I didn't believe that and NEVER took vitamins/minerals. Then I experimented with them and the results trumped my original thinking. The vitamins and minerals MUST be in an absorbable form. Avoid the cheapies.

Not to push a brand, there are many good ones out there, but I really like Tangy Tangerine 2.0. (If you don’t like this one, find one that works for you.) It has just about everything you need and the ingredients, as far as I have researched, are almost all in a very absorbable form, but like with most, extra Calcium and Magnesium are needed (in near a 2:1 ratio I've heard, ideally.) I take additionally app. 1000mg of Calcium and 500mg of Magnesium daily, divided up. I recommend the forms that end in "ate", as those are much more absorbable. I have heard to avoid the oxides (e.g. Calcium oxide) as the absorbability is near 10% or so (not to mention it might be dangerous).

If money is tight, eating organ meats is a GREAT way to get lots of essential things. Liver I hear is great. When we were nothing but mostly meat eaters, we started with the organs and fatty cuts of meat (as do carnivores) first as that is where the nutrition lies.
I enjoy watching Dr. Glidden's videos on the net and have learned a lot about health, diet, etc. from this ND. I take his the before mentioned drink but not what is to follow (I search these out.) [www.youtube.com] (They are an MLM company, but I don’t take part in it.)

I am sure you have heard about glucosamin sulfate and chondroitin sulfate for arthritis. The studies and personal experiences abound, but you got to get the dosage right.
The other supplement that I take compliments the above, and that is MSM, it is a form of sulfur. It acts as a natural anti-inflammatory for starters but has a host of other benefits regarding soft tissue.
Collagen and Gelatin also are helpers and have a long history of successful use.
Some lesser known supplements include hyaluronic acid and cissus quadrangularis.

I'm currently not taking mega doses, I take around the following daily, divided up:
1500mg glucosamin
600mg Chondroitin
600mg MSM
600mg Collagen
100mg hyaluronic acid
1600mg cissus quadrangularis

I spend around 50-75 bucks a month on this. You can very safely double, triple or more the first 4 ingredients. The last two I am unsure about. But they all are very safe. Do your homework and listen to your body.
When I was a weight lifter I took, with ZERO health problems, 3,000mg glucosamin and 6,000mg MSM, that is all and it worked incredibly for my shoulders. I'm just experimenting with complimentary supplements.

I've read great things about making Beef Soup Bone Broth and just started using it a few days ago. It really pulls out the natural ingredients, (e.g. glucosamin, Chondroitin, Gelatin and Collagen for starters). So if money is tight, just make some beef bone broth (preferably from grass fed cows) and cook it low over 1-3 days, add in some Onions, carrots, salt, pepper, bay leaves, etc. and it tastes plain GREAT. It is VERY dense in things your joints need. VERY CHEAP and EFFECTIVE. Some info: [whole9life.com]

Acupuncture has worked GREAT for my back pain (old 10mm ruptured disk, mostly healed it through yoga though. MRI's to prove that, shocked the MRI guy. Got it down to 2mm or so, he said too small to need an operation.)
I've also had success with Chiropractic and Osteopathy (a bit similar.)

That is a start, hope it was of some health, I mean help (real mistake at first, lol ;-) .
Albert

Note - Keith, thanks for telling me about the word filter here. I had to figure this one out, it was the word "glucosamin" with an "e" at the end. lol
Re: If detecting, etc. is causing you pain - Remedies
October 19, 2014 06:48PM
Quitting Explorer helped me a lot.

You know, detector manufacturers and designers read this.

You know you are helplessly hooked on detecting when you have 40 different painkillers in your drawer.
October 19, 2014 08:11PM
I'm a keen cyclist, so I'm prone to over-do things, and end up stiff and aching if I didn't take measures to lessen this. One product that I have found that speeds recovery is a dedicated sports recovery drink. The one I tend to use is a UK produced one, Science In Sport's "ReGo Night", but I guess with a bit of research, a similar product should be found in the US, maybe Weider? MaxiMuscle? They're not that expensive, it depends on how much you buy, I guess, big tubs will be cheaper, but small sachets are convenient, cheaper individually, and more suitable for a trial. This product is taken shortly before you go to sleep, when your muscles are resting/recovering. Be warned, they tend to taste, ermm....'unusual'.

I would also recommend sports stretching exercises: gentle, but enough to to keep your body able to move easily in all the directions it's intended to. I'm sure on-line / in your local library, you can find such guides - anything that suits a racquet-sport player would be a decent starting point.

And don't use heavy, un-ergonomic detectors, learn to swing your detector with either hand, alternating every 10-15 minutes, and ease off if it's too much.

ReGo Night:
[www.scienceinsport.com]
[www.scienceinsport.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2014 10:09PM by Pimento.
October 19, 2014 09:25PM
I have had my shoulder issue's and tried the MSM,CHONDROITIN,GLUCOSAMIN route for about 6 months and didn't work for me. I'm not sayin' it isn't any good it just doesn't work for everyone. I had my best result's with a good multivitamin, 1000 mg. Vita D,500 mg. of C,and a Fish oil tabelet every other day. I also do a cable routine working the rear deltoids more than the front as most shoulder injuries happen due to overdevelopment of the front from Bench pressing everyones favorite lift. Anyways this works for me as my shoulder is about 90% what it was. That is not bad considering 2 years ago I had trouble lifting my arm over my head and didn't want to go under the knife which so far I have avoided.It amazes me how quick people are to get cut on when with a little work and supplements you can avoid surgery all together.
October 19, 2014 09:55PM
Great Info, thanks.
October 19, 2014 10:16PM
I think people end up doing what works for them when they finally are confronted with not being able to move without severe pain.
For me it came in the form a back full of cortizone delivered with surgical precision that solved the issues 15 years ago after enduring the pain and suffering only partial loss of feeling in one leg.
I managed to keep that fateful day at bay for years by simply putting a packet of KNOX gelatin in the first cup of coffee every morning and gulping it down before it turned to coffee JELLO ---all the glucosimin and chondroitin you can handle in a cheap package. I don't even want to think about where it came from but I always had a problem with eating the organ which is filtering the blood of animals which are being pumped full of Dr. Poundage's formularie's---liver and onion can actually be tasty but I didn't like them when my Mom forced me to eat them and now that I think about what that thing is full of ---nnnaaaaaaaa! You can eat my share sad smiley
October 20, 2014 12:10AM
Interesting timing earthman...Ive been thinking about natural ways to improve my health. Got a question for ya...any recomendation on something to provide energy? Being a roofer,I need to be able to hump it all day. Been drinking Rockstar and red bull for years...that cant be good,so decided to stop drinking them...but folgers just doesnt have the same kick. Ray
October 20, 2014 09:03AM
Pimento - Interesting points, reminds me of the information coming out about athletes dropping dead on practice fields. It is becoming clearer if you work hard, you need to replace that sweat with more than water. Having minerals and such is a life safer! I will look into that drink, thanks.

Harold - Great tips on balancing ones workout, I learned that the hardway (shoulder impingment from too much chest work and not enough back.) You speak the truth!
I am very curious, what dosage were you taking that didn't work? (MSM, Glucosamin, Chond)

shoveler - You hit the nail on the head with the KNOX gelatin! A cheap cheap way, as is the beef soup bone broth (and it probably has a bit more in it.) Funny, when I make it and put it in the fridge, it becomes just like gelatin! I was trying to pour it out and then it hit me, lol! I've heard of GREAT liver and onion recipes but they are few and far between. But for sure ,if it comes from a healthy grass fed cow, it is good stuff. Look up the difference between naturally fed grass fed cows and grain fed. The grain is not natural for them and it changes their fat composition (a near complete loss of Omega 3's.)

deathray - There are many supplements and natural things that provide energy. First, I would look into a mineral drink (like Pimento mentioned) or the like, cause you are losing more than the average person. The Rockstar, Red Bull, etc. is a recipe for adrenal burnout. Just too stimulating in that way (for the most part). Not against them occasionally, but you are more than likely burning yourself out with those. I would honestly make sure I'm getting vitamins, minerals AND Trace Minerals first, you have your foundation there. Your body can heal itself at least. Then move into some foods and supplements that give energy. Ginseng comes to mind, but I don't think it is going to touch what the red bulls and such give you. Off the top of my head I can only think of a few, I'll get back later when I have more time, but I have to run. Something that you should look into is taking in more fats. I've changed my diet and my body is used to it now, I eat 3 tablespoons or so of coconut oil a day and it gives me A LOT of energy. A bit much to go in here, but just look at the benefits of it online. Look at the people who have used it and have ZERO heart disease. Yeah, saturated fats are not what Kies told us they were (Just get them from a good source and don't cook your beef fully and too hot!). I read that coconut oil increases the metabolism substantially! Back in the 50's I think, they tried feeding it to pigs to get them fatter. Well, it made them eat more, be more active and lose weight, so much for that theory!

Best,
Albert
October 20, 2014 10:53AM
To embellish on the coconut oil; Buy the "unrefined organic". I take about two tablespoons a day. I also give it to my dog, mixed in his food, he actually likes it.
Depending on the air temperature, it will be a solid or a liquid or somewhere in between....It will melt in your mouth if you eat it when it's solid.
It's not a strong taste, but yes, look it up to see the benefits.....good stuff!
October 20, 2014 12:43PM
I will check out the coconut oil...thanks!
October 20, 2014 08:05PM
Earthmansurfer, I don't remember the exact amount's,But I was taking the Tri-Flex supplement at the recomended dose. I think it was 2 Tablets a day?
October 20, 2014 08:13PM
deathray - I just did a search on energy drink replacers and there is lots out there. I found this one interesting as it is much more naturual. [wellandgood.com]
Not really my expertise. I usually have 1 coffee a day and mix it with grass fed butter and MCT or Coconut oil. That charges me hardcore for 4 hours. The recipe is here: [www.bulletproofexec.com]
But I had to quite the coffee and lots else as I found I have Candida and Leaky Gut Syndrome. I am a healthy guy but must have gotten a parisitic infection years ago while in Peru. Anyway, at least now I know why my health has been up and down the last few years. I already feel better after a few days on anti-fungals, but the die off is hard - liver pain (gone after taking milk thistle) and left kidney pain, they are having to remove all the toxins those little buggers leave behind when they die is the reason and I had it bad, 5 of 5 on the "severity" scale.

Just changing my diet to a more fat and protein based diet has helped me immensely. Try some different things out at a health food store, you never know what you find. But again, I'd start with a good base in your everyday diet. Be careful with longterm use of the energy drinks my friend.

Agree with what Ozzi said. I actualyl buy virgin coconut oil which is not refined. I have tried the old method where they slightly ferment the coconut oil for a few hours first as it increases some beneficial things (forget!) inside. A bit stronger in taste but very nice. I always try different brands. The energy you get, once you can handle it is INCREDIBLE. Really noticeable. Start with a teaspoon, work up to a tablespoon, then 3 or more.

Best guys,
Albert
October 20, 2014 11:49PM
One never knows years ago developed an arthritic neck and one of my co-workers wifes sold various vitamins etc.and to make a long story short got me on alfalfa tablets which after a while never has a problem
Doc had me on meds but said if I took them too long would burn a hole in my stomach so I guess the American Indian didn't have a drugstore and found his own cures is a truism...
By the way if you try expect to be burping hay for the first two weeks....