Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Deus deeper than I first thought ......

Posted by silverhound 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Deus deeper than I first thought ......
October 23, 2014 12:13AM
Was doing some depth testing and was able to hit a freshly buried .69 three ringer with both 9" and 11" coils in all four frequencies . Same test with my CTX 3030 and 11" coil was a no go . I realize the FBS machines do poorly on fresh targets but still an eye opener for me .
Re: Deus deeper than I first thought ......
October 23, 2014 01:52AM
How mineralized is your ground?
October 23, 2014 02:00AM
Yes freshly buried targets are not fair to FBS or BBS machines.
October 23, 2014 02:00AM
DEUS can be quite deep In certain dirts...

It also works well in bad dirt for mineral masked target's..

3030 does not do well though on planted targets...

Keith
October 23, 2014 02:15AM
Mild soil. GB at mid to low 70"s .
October 23, 2014 04:40AM
You didn't say how deep. And did you try different TX powers and sensitivities on the Deus? Results for each Deus setting?

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
October 23, 2014 02:40PM
Sorry the 3 ringer was a measured 12" deep and the Deus was maxed out to hit it but did so with a solid high tone in two tones with disc at 6 .
October 23, 2014 10:22PM
What settings did you use in this mild soil to get this depth?
October 24, 2014 12:11AM
Silencer -1, reactivity 0 and 1, manual GB and sensitivity at 95 . Two tones with disc at 6 . TX 3

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2014 01:52AM by silverhound.
October 24, 2014 01:34AM
Was out today with CTX 3030 and deus with 9" coil. I hit 2 pennies with deus that CTX 3030 with 11" coil wouldn't touch in search mode with manual sens set to 26. The dirt in this particular yard was real loose/soft. No iron around either coin. And I actually dug more iron junk today with CTX than with deus. The deus is a killer machine for sure. The gent with me was using a fisher F5 and hit a supposed target. His detector was all over the place while over target and he wasn''t going to dig- he thought iron all the way. I ran the deus over it and pinpointed. I told him it wasn't a coin but it sure wasn't iron either. Turned out to be a large Boker pocket knife with both handles still intact, all a bit rusty though. The deus is the go to machine for searching those sites that are supposedly wiped out using other detectors. I've had my deus a while and have posted a few times indicating how this baby does in the nail pits. That's exactly where the deus belongs. The more iron the merrier. You folks starting out with the deus head for the nastiest site you can think of and dive in. In short order the deus will start rewarding you with the goods. I'm not much into french cars but sure do like their metal detectors.
October 24, 2014 08:21PM
what program did you make these changes to?
October 24, 2014 10:45PM
Did the knife have brass trim or something? Otherwise it's pretty much all steel and,the F-5 was pretty much right, alloy steel tends to ne "all ober the place"

Still the Deus is great in a lot of ways, but I get tired of all those '90's numbers for iron and steel. I found enough beer bottle caps in Denmark to last me the rest of my life - those Danes sure like their beer!

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
October 25, 2014 12:22AM
If you really want to see how deep the Deus is plant a gold band at say 15 inches in sand, dry sand at a beach. You know where it's at so start scanning the area and start dropping the GB one number at a time negative. You WILL be shocked when it hits it. Good dirt it will do the same thing, not trashy dirt as much. That's with the nine inch coil too. It gets a little chatty but not unusable.
October 27, 2014 07:40PM
No 3 ringers around here but at my deep silver park, I can hit silver dimes at 9 inches on real, live hunts. For the longest time (around 2.5 years) I hunted at 12KHz and 18KHz with 90 sensitivity, GB 85 and TX3. About 6 months ago I decided to learn to hunt with the 4KHZ and haven't looked back since. This morning, for the first time ever, I upped my gain to 95 and wow! I pulled targets (no silver unfortunately) from my test spot at the park, where I have cleaned all but the smallest foil. 3 wheats and a button. All 4 targets were at 8+ inches deep with the 11" coil. Deepest target with the Deus was a silver walking liberty at 10.5 inches. My normal settings are:

Sensitivity - 90
GB - almost always 85, manual
Reactivity - 2 or 3 depending on trash.
Audio response - 1 or 2
Iron volume - 1
Disc - 5
Silencer - 1
full tones.

I have a sense that I can go deeper on a silver dime but I haven't yet figured that out.

Pinpoint twice, dig once
October 27, 2014 09:16PM
Pulltab. Don't know where you live, but around here, 8 - 9 inch holes are deep man, deep, for any detector. Keep us posted if you figure the deepest settings out on your Deus.
October 28, 2014 01:32AM
I have dug a lot of dimes and pennies over 9" deep with the CTX 3030 and 17" coil in black mild Eastern KS soil.
October 29, 2014 02:13AM
While hunting Sunday my buddy called me over to check a deep target with my Deus and the 11" coil. He was using his E-Trac (running wide open) with the 13" Ultimate coil and he had a very, very faint signal (I listened) but jumpy numbers. When I checked the target with my Deus I only got ONE faint, trashy mid / high tone audio signal and nothing at 90 degrees (no VDI). I basically had nothing and therefore wouldn't have dug it. Well, after digging nearly 10" deep he pulled out a '46 Mercury dime. I verified the depth with my Whites TRX as it has a ruler on the side; nearly the entire Pinpointer was in the hole. I was running the Deus fairly hot with the Reactivity at 1, Silencer at 0, Disc at 7, half point negative GB and Sensitivity at 97 and I couldn't get a signal. We were hunting in the ball field of an old school when he got that signal. The ground was very hard/compacted with some clay mixed in. One thing I have noticed is the harder the ground the deeper the E-Trac seems to be vs. the Deus. I seem to get more depth in loamy based soil vs. hard / compacted clay based ground. Now comparing apples to apples my buddy said there is no way he would get that signal with his E-Trac & stock 9" coil and probably wouldn't have had a signal with his 11" coil. He said the 13" coil is clearly deeper than the other two and he barely had a signal with it. Even though his Trac was a little deeper on that day and in that dirt vs. my Deus, I wouldn't trade my Deus for any other detector. Thanks for reading.
Duke
October 29, 2014 02:51AM
You should have dropped reactivity to 0 and silencer to -1 and tried. Like you said he was running etrac wide open unlike your deus. Just curious what was your audio resp level? If it was 2 or 3 maybe 4 you would have had a faint tone. You should have had it at least moved it to a setting of 5 and listened. And what kind of signal did your bud get on his machine when he turned 90 degrees??? You never mentioned what freq you had deus in???Should have tried 8 or maybe 4khz setting. The faint sound you heard could be considered a learning experience with deus at the settings you were using at the time. Was the faint tone you received pretty consistent when sweeping say like getting it 3 out of 4 or 5 sweeps and was it hitting in the same spot? If so you didn't basically have nothing you had a target under your coil. And to be fair a disc of zero could have been employed just to see if it helped the signal or maybe 3-5 at the very least. I love my deus as well and do use the bicep building CTX just not as fun as deus.
October 29, 2014 04:48AM
I was using 12 kHz. I go to 18 kHz in heavy trash. The more I use 18 kHz the more I like it.

3 out of 4? 4 out of 5? Rest assured I'm digging if I get 3 out of 4 faint audio signals over a target! No, as the post said I had ONE faint trashy tone. Only one out of multiple sweeps. Non-repeatable even from the same position. One. As the post said, I had nothing.

Yes, that wonderful Deus audio signal on a deep coin; I know it well. I've written about that signal several times on this forum. And I've encountered that signal on multiple deep Mercurys, Rosies, and Wheats that ended up in my pouch since getting the Deus four months ago. But, I only have about 300 hours on my Deus, so I'm still learning.

Disc setting at 2 or 3 (or 0?)? 0?? I think I'll pass; I value my sanity too much.
Thanks,
Duke

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2014 03:22PM by tnduke.
October 29, 2014 09:13AM
tnduke Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Disc setting at 2 or 3 (or 0?)? I think I'll pass;

Don't forget to remove the coil cover!