Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tom why relic hunting?

Posted by sonny(IN) 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Tom why relic hunting?
March 18, 2010 11:49AM
For relic hunting...........if I could not have
> another LTD for a back-up unit...........the Omega
> 8000 would be my choice.

Wonder if you think these are better for relic hunitng ,more so than coin hunting???? just curious as most people refer to the fisher line for relic hunting as compared to COIN hunting.......especially the f75 series. I am using the omega at this time and due to the frequency of it it should be better for coins? If the frequency is that impt of an issue.? What is your opinion on the frequency issue???? thanks in advance.. the quote above was Tom's!
Re: Tom why relic hunting?
March 19, 2010 01:39PM
Both the Omega & F75 are spectacular coin hunters. . . . with the F75 being the deeper of the two. This is important for hunting 'old' coins. Depth matters very much. Yes, Freq is very important.......with the higher freq unit lending a large edge IRT relic hunting; however, the Omega is exceptionally quiet in iron infested sites, making it a fatigue-reducer (blessing)........if your ears need a break. F75/LTD is steroids; a trade-off. The F75 is a fairly high freq.....less resonant to silver, yet, gain is boosted to high.......what is lost on silver depth....is regained right back.
March 22, 2010 04:20AM
hi tom!
does the omega 8000 have an extremely quick processor much like the f-75?
if it does,will the 5"dd coil available for the omega perform similarly in the trash to the 5"dd coil on the f-75?..thanks!

(h.h!)
j.t.
March 22, 2010 06:59AM
You know Tom, it's always hard to get a handle on honest depth from a detector that one hasn't used...

I know it's hard to quantify, but what would you say that depth difference on deep coins would be from the F75 to the Omega? And am I correct in assuming the F75 would have an even greater depth advantage on nickels than higher conductivity coins?
March 22, 2010 03:29PM
Fro me the 8000 is vary fast but it is not chatty like the LTD so you hear less but when you hit a target or targets it seems to be as fast with the 11DD. I have not used the 5DD but I would think it would have the same effect with speed. The 8000 is not as deep as the LTD but in my ground it is as deep as the F75. I seem to have better luck in iron I dug out a rusted gun that the LTD missed even at a disc of 4 on the ltd I use 16 on the 8000 to start and then lower my disc after I have cleaned an area a bit.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
March 22, 2010 03:31PM
I find on deep coins the LTD tends to be more broken up on the tone less I am in mono tone. The 8000 hits with a cleaner tone but it is not as deep as the LTD in boost mode but as deep as the F75. Same coils 11DD.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

March 23, 2010 01:18AM
Correct.......on low conductive nickels...the F75 is MUCH hotter (vs Omega).....but with all other higher conductive coins.....the F75 has a approx 1-1/2" to 2" depth advantage over Omega.... in most situations. Yes, the F75 can be 'bouncy' on some coins.....because they are partially masked. And yes, the Omega processor is just as fast on the Omega.
March 23, 2010 02:27AM
It just shows that the 8000 is a great backup it runs really quite and fast and is great in iron. I have wanted a backup like this ever since I got the F75 and now the LTD. So far EMI is not a problem and when it is it really hurts my LTD but I can run the LTD way hotter then the F75 and I can run the 8000 as hot as the LTD!

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

March 23, 2010 04:13AM
thanks for the insight tom!...it would appear that the omega 8000 is "close" to the f-75's performance on coins without all the drama associated with the f-75!..at least that is what i have been able to ascertain form various posts!..maybe it is a true "sleeper" as others have suggested!

(h.h!)
j.t.
March 23, 2010 10:55AM
jmaryt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hi tom!
> does the omega 8000 have an extremely quick
> processor much like the f-75?
> if it does,will the 5"dd coil available for the
> omega perform similarly in the trash to the 5"dd
> coil on the f-75?..thanks!
>
> (h.h!)
> j.t.

Haven't used the 5" (yet) but when hunting in high trash areas (especially iron) that require a smaller coils my guess is the Omega and 5" DD would be superior at picking out the high conductive coins. The boost modes of the LTD's may level the playing field a bit but the lower response to high conductors combined with the enhanced response to small low conductors of a small coil equipped high frequency detectors is hard to overcome.

Tom Z

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2010 10:59AM by Jackpine.
March 23, 2010 11:55PM
Even a standard F75 (or a LTD in the old 'pf' or 'de' mode) will still trump the Omega on higher conductive coins. This is not to berate the Omega. It certainly has some usable/unique attributes.
March 24, 2010 12:52AM
I'm certainly not doubting any of your observations and resulting convictions, Mr. D (since there are two Toms in this thread)....but mine have been different in dealing with old modes on the F-75 and the Omega with common coils. Guess that just falls under the ol' "results may vary" heading and again, might be more of a resultant of your being able to run wide open down your way.
March 24, 2010 02:08AM
In my ground the 8000 rings real clean on a old coin and on the LTD it will be more broken up

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

March 24, 2010 09:16AM
BuckeyeBrad Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm certainly not doubting any of your
> observations and resulting convictions, Mr. D
> (since there are two Toms in this thread)....but
> mine have been different in dealing with old modes
> on the F-75 and the Omega with common coils. Guess
> that just falls under the ol' "results may vary"
> heading and again, might be more of a resultant of
> your being able to run wide open down your way.

Brad,

In my area I seldom have to drop the sens below 70 on the Omega. Most places I can run in the 90's easily. The only time I have to back it off is when the target density is so thick that higher settings make it impossible to wade thru all the signals.

The quality of ID on deep coins (actually all target categories) continues to impress. The last 'down under' detector I used had a tendency to read deep tabs up into the penny/dime range which was a major PITA when I wanted to just cherry pick the oldies. With the Omega the vast majority of upscale readings are iron co-locate targets, which is a good thing.

HH Tom
5" coils a must in heavy trash
March 24, 2010 12:33PM
I'm currently cleaning out a small baseball field complex. Its a newer park. When the targets get too thick for the 10", I drop down to the 5 coil, and it is awesome in trash. The 10 coil is great for pinpointing and seperating coins next to trash, but sometimes the targets are just too numerous, in a small area. Once I get the area cleaned out a bit, I'll try the 11 coil, to do the final clean up. I've pulled out hundreds of clad so far, with alot of ground to still search. The omega is a fun machine to use.
Re: 5" coils a must in heavy trash
March 25, 2010 12:50AM
Brad,

Yes, ground conditions can certainly change the equation.