Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Why not an "Auto" mode/program on the Deus?

Posted by ncwayne 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Why not an "Auto" mode/program on the Deus?
October 23, 2014 05:04AM
Seems to me the Deus programming could provide an automatic setting where the user chooses a value somewhere between maximum depth and maximum target separation (for example), and the Deus selects the values for the various programmable attributes such as TX power and reactivity based on ground balance readings and mineralization levels. Perhaps frequency selection could be automated, as well, based on some selection criteria. Sensitivity and audio levels could be set by the user to his liking after the automatic program has done its thing.
I see an auto mode as something in addition to the user selectable programs currently featured.
Comments?

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
Re: Why not an "Auto" mode/program on the Deus?
October 23, 2014 05:27AM
Very interesting but I guess for now it's up to us to make the changes. I don't mind and in fact I like to tinker a bit with this machine. They allowed us to be able to do that with the info we are given by the machine.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
October 23, 2014 03:08PM
For a seasoned detectorist, I like having full manual control..... so as to be able to adjust to exacting conditions/intent.
October 24, 2014 05:52AM
The "auto" mode/program as I envision it, will not take away full manual control. That would be available as it is now. The "auto" mode/program would just be another program selection where the machine sets some of the program attributes based on ground conditions and user's preference for depth and/or target separation. The assumption here is that the machine may be able to interpret ground conditions better than the user can.

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

October 24, 2014 03:20PM
But that is why we have ground balance? I can see maybe you are saying it may adjust your reactivity and sens and power but I as many do like to do that myself and have found auto ground bal to not always work. Good idea I guess it is like cars that park for you but what happens is then you forget how to park we need to keep using our brains...and out smart the machines

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
October 24, 2014 07:05PM
The deus does have auto programs installed. One example deus fast. Just pick which one you want to use. Refer to your operators manual to find out which one suits your fancy. The defaults for the loaded search programs are listed in the deus manual. For seasoned detectorists, sure one can modify as they please. From my use of the deus the only shortcoming the machine has is it's not waterproof. But I figure that would add weight so I can live without it. For all on land detecting and if one only wants one detector the deus fills the bill better than any other I know of.
October 26, 2014 03:12AM
Much as I like tinkering with detectors my perfect detector would have a power switch, great depth, and accurate target id. Having control for controls sake - well, let's just say I would rather go detecting than go controlling.

The main reason most of us like manual control is we feel we get better performance that way. I stuck with manual shift in my vehicles a long time for that reason, and manual camera controls. Now my truck is an automatic, and the auto settings on my camera are great. Give me simplicity AND power.
October 26, 2014 03:40AM
I've got a Deus - i've also got a Whites Eagle Spectrum. Both are identical in one respect. Both have several "Factory programs". These are combinations of the multiple settings available for the detector arranged to give a specific advantage under certain circumstances. Both detectors also let you set any of those variables independently and save any such combination as a user program.

So what's the difference? Well the Deus has a lot of features the Spectrum doesn't and was introduced in 2012 or so. The Spectrum is simpler, but was introduced in 1990!!! In fact other then lower power consumption, lighter weight and wireless connection from the coil to the control box to the headphones – not really all that much difference.

What's lacking in the Deus is the same thing that was liking the Spectrum 20 something years ago – adaptive behavior – The ability of the detector to learn from the data it's receiving from the ground and the target - and to modify its operating parameters in accordance with priorities the user has set for depth, discrimination, etc.

Automatic transmissions and cars date back to the 1930s I think. But it's only with modern computer controlled engines and transmissions that we have full electronic control of the performance of the vehicle automatically taking account of altitude, fuel octane, drivers previous habits etc.

Our cars have gotten a hell of a lot smarter than our metal detectors have. But again there are tens of thousands of automotive engineers and in this whole wide world there are probably not many more than a dozen competent metal detector engineers.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
October 26, 2014 07:07PM
Better yet just get a robot to run this space age wonder machine and retrieve the targets as well while we set on a park bench and wait for it to check in once and a while so we can pocket the goodies .
October 27, 2014 02:50AM
So far, we have some respondents who would like a detector that automatically configures for better performance, some that don't understand what "automatic" means, and some that prefer to manually configure even if it may lead to sub optimum performance?

Pleasant Garden, NC