Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CTX3030 and 10x5" Coiltek

Posted by scoopjohnb 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
CTX3030 and 10x5" Coiltek
October 27, 2014 05:54AM
Yesterday my mate and I hit a harvested field.
Me with my new Coiltek elliptical for the CTX and my hunting partner for the day with his trusty GMP 18kHz and 11" coil.

Still getting to know the coil it took me a while before I settled down on a setting.
Relic pattern was the mode of choice and at a sens of 18, 2/3 open it started to high tone on the square heads of the horse shoe nails.

I like this as it will throw a high tone on a nail, but dead center it and the nail will throw an iron tone.

I muddled along at a snails pace, and got a handfull of good finds and a pouch full of scrap.

Simply amazed at the tempo he was going over that field. Also had a handfull of good stuff, buttons, buckles, coins, etc.

Maybe the fact that he's had the machine for 10 years plus, maybe the fact it handles iron a lot better.

Anyway this coiltek coil is wicked sensitive, it picks up targets the garett pinpointer has a hard time locating.
And it even had me searching and sifting for a boot eyelet with the dirt in my hand at 2/3 sensitivity.

Thank you Coiltek, I had a great time. Especially because it rewarded my efforts with a French revolution 2 Sol coin, a whopper!!

Compared to my F19 it's heavy,... however I like it!!

Kings aren't depicted on coins like that any more.

HH
Johnb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2014 08:33PM by scoopjohnb.
Re: CTX3030 and 10x5" Coiltek
October 27, 2014 11:00PM
That’s an interesting find. The date looks like 1792.

From which state did you find it?

Detecting since Feb, 2010
E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
CTX3030 with 17"x13" DD coil, 11" DD coil
October 28, 2014 05:11AM
I'm based in Europe.
You're wright about the date 1792, French revolution.
Over here the find is nothing special except it was found on a field frequently hunted by other brand users.

Can't say the signal was "difficult", actually a fairly large signal in between Iron. Probably guys have been fooled into thinking is was
large Iron breaking through the discrimination.
I like to dig large iron and now and again dig small iron as well, just to get a feel of the place.

HH
Johnb

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2014 05:13AM by scoopjohnb.
October 28, 2014 09:28AM
Do you think the Coiltek coil can do anything the stock coil can not do?
October 28, 2014 01:04PM
goodmore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you think the Coiltek coil can do anything the
> stock coil can not do?

The 5 x10 will get you closer to iron structures as in fences , playground equipment , etc.
I hunt with a friend that uses one and he has yet to demonstrate a real significant advantage over the stock coil I use when one considers the stock is deeper than the 5 x 10.
On the other hand , the 17" not only covers a great deal more ground than the stock ,it leaves you with cannon ball shoulders as well.
October 28, 2014 03:53PM
Having never used the 5x10 I can't comment on depth. I know the 6" minelab is deeper than what its size suggest. I surelly cannot see the coiltek sepperating any better because of its length. So with that reasoning I can't see any reason whatsoever of spending $350.00 plus on a coil.
October 28, 2014 06:28PM
goodmore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you think the Coiltek coil can do anything the
> stock coil can not do?

It feels as if it's in between the 11" and 6" with regards to sensitivity.
The 11" would be my choice for coins, simply because it "ignores" the small iron a little more.
I was digging horseshoe nails with flat and round heads if I worked the signal, rotated around till it had enough flatness to induce a medium tone.

I was using 4 Tones ferrous and relic pattern with a little more iron disc added.

It really is a dig anything but small iron kind of hunt, very similar to my wet beach hunting style.

Stubble is a real pain with the stock coil, as are freshly harvested fields. The coiltek elliptical simply fits in between maize stubble and glides better over uneven terrain.

HH
Johnb