Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Coinshooting with the Deus

Posted by fsdigital12 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Coinshooting with the Deus
October 27, 2014 10:52PM
Wondering if this would cause issues

If I setup a 2 tone program in 8khz...

8-70 Low Tone ( I know I'm missing copper nickel indians..)
71-95 High tone

Will deeper signals get down averaged and give a low tone?
Re: Coinshooting with the Deus
October 28, 2014 12:22AM
This may not answer your question but I will give my experiences. I don't run a setup as your suggesting. I usually run a disc around 6 give or take and 3 tone. Just the other day I got over what turned out to be two very old wheats. Both different targets were flashing 94 on the screen. Reactivity was 1 silencer -1 freq 12. After I took maybe 3 inches of dirt off the top of both targets they started reading 82. The tone I got with the 94 reading was indeed a high tone. I didn't see any iron around either target. That brings up the scenario of coin mixed in with iron. Will the deus up average or down average?? I think it will do both, depending on the targets orientation to the iron/iron bits and the size of the iron. This question you have may in a way reflect on just why the deus is so good. Lots of detectors when the depth becomes overwhelming the targets goes into the iron range. The deus with version 2 I know for a fact I dug at least 3 good pre civil war era militia buttons that all showed 98 on the screen. These buttons were in the worst of iron discovered with reactivity 3 and 18 khz. I haven't run version 3.2 a whole bunch but from what I've seen so far the new version causes the deus to say go to 94 just like the targets mentioned above. This may be the reason a lot of folks are notching 98/99 with version 3.2 to get rid of most big iron. . I think if I were you get some old rusty square nails and mix them with say a dime at 5-6 inches buried and experiment with your settings. Good luck on your what seems like a cherry picking quest.
October 28, 2014 12:47AM
This was a great post my friend and I appreciate the time you took to write it. I think I needed this in a big way...I'm prob the worst cherry picker there is...and I have to say...using an E-trac for 2 years has spoiled me rotten. It got so bad..I would only dig 12-30 (indians) and up and prob what got me to post this question originally LOL.. my habit has been to cherry pick the good "signals" and ignore the bad.... Sometimes I would push it to 12-40+ and at least 3 inches deep.. LOL.... I think I need to stop focusing on a primary target and completly forget what the E-trac so wrongly made me do...by trusting the numbers.....

I know they say the Deus is a tone machine...and a totally different animal. I just need more time with it....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2014 12:48AM by fsdigital12.
October 28, 2014 01:56AM
The deus is a tone machine but not to my ear and I have been hunting hunted out areas with iron and trash not the best place to test a new machine. I am starting backwards going to the worst and then working to the best...after 15 years of doing this I know I'll get the hang of it. Iron, well I like horse shoes and axes and tools so I like to dig iron. I was at a old park and got a 98 hit clean and dug a huge silver piece. Must weigh about six ounces. So I'm still going back to the worse of places to relic hunt and digging just about everything because I can't tell the difference yet. You have a control that can give you the same VDI for any freq or you can turn it off and each freq will read the coin at a different VDI number. I like the dig targets at about 40 and above but I still dig it all till I can learn the machine more.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2014 04:49AM by Lawrenzo.
October 28, 2014 02:22AM
The deus is a sneaky machine. Some things to keep in mind. Watch the meter. It gives more clues than some might think. A nice clear tone with say a 94 reading is usually a fairly deep target. And junk is not usually fairly deep. If one is finding good coins i.e. at a site in 12khz with 2 reactivity, try running lower number reactivity and lower freq to get a little deeper. If real trashy or lots of iron go higher in freq and reactivity. This is what makes the deus so good. It's really about 3 detectors in one. Very versatile to say the least. I have only 9" coil experience, this will change thursday as I have an entire another unit with 11" coil coming. The 9 inch coil is no slouch. I have found coins, not many mind you in places that I have killed multiple times with ETRAC, CTX, V3i and F75se. And funny thing is most of the coins weren't that deep and these particular sites were small. Once a person learns how to recognize large iron with deus the fun begins. Go to the nastiest places iron wise and hunt with the deus. That's were the good stuff is and not as deep as you might think. Ask your buds where their detectors has given them the most fits. Determining target size will also speed your detecting up alot by not digging junk. The silencer setting is important not to high is key and remember it will change on its own when setting reactivity at times so be sure and look to see where it is, -1 setting is supposed "off". I have also read depth detection can be affected by coil battery charge level. Charge your deus after all medium to long hunts or if its been idle for a while at home. The ole horseshoe will lie to you but only on the right side. If the left side lights up or your target is alternating right to left or vise versa it's iron. The right side can light up on iron so beware. Also I believe you have to have some disc to get the horseshoe to work. A little thingy I'm also seeing is sometimes the first sweep over iron will give a tone that grabs your attention, but additional sweeps over it and the deus will quieten or be real sparky/broken somewhat of a high tone. Swing speed is critical in heavy iron. You can't go too slow. You see everyone knows the deus is fast and this is true but your ears and brain have to catchup, plus the deus coil separation needs a chance to work. I have found buttons in iron I could hear in reactivity 4 with (version 2) I could not hear with 3 reactivity no matter what the swing speed or angle of sweep. Hang in there with your deus. Every will most likely take as licking from their buds on group hunts when using a new/different detector. I do quite a bit of gun hunting and use to target shoot quite often. There was an old saying which is "Beware of someone who only owns one gun". I believe most will agree that its tough to get real good with multiple detectors even the seasoned detectorist. Just a machines balance can alter the quality of swing you're performing to find the elusive treasure. If I had to pick one detector with a premise that no additional detectors would be made by any manufacturer for 10 years the deus would be my pick. The CTX is second on my list. I own both and boy the CTX will build biceps. I will bet the next white's flagship detector will be software upgradable via internet, same for minelab. And don't expect these to materialize for about 3 more years. White's should have done it with their V3i. I don't think they were very smart. They thought the process would scare people off and it probably would have some, but an option would have been to get it done at their dealer. You see it would have gave folks a reason to visit their dealer and what usually happens in these cases- they purchase additional detecting equipment. A good move from a business perspective. Shame shame White's.
October 28, 2014 05:06PM
Wow. Great info and tips. Thanks guys. This really is the only forum I know where you can get this type of detail Thanks
November 30, 2014 03:41AM
tnsharpshooter, thanks for taking the time to write the two posts above. Great info & very much appreciated.

Duke
November 30, 2014 04:53AM
It will up and down avarage your find so you never really know when you have more then one target in the hole. I love two tones because the higher the tone the more buzzy it sounds or should I say tinney. I like a mid tone (and low for anything under my Disc and that is set to about 6.5) I have heard a lot about three and full but I don't care for them. If you get a good tone you have to dig it.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
November 30, 2014 05:52AM
Didn't find anything worthy of mention today but will share experience on one find, an overall button. Running 3 tone with breaks at 30 and 70 in 12 khz, reactivity 3 silencer -1. disc 6.9 with 11" coil. Got a squeak of a high tone, reswept spot numerous times and with what seemed like the best sweep speed, signal only improved slightly. Screen was showing 3 to 18 on various sweeps with very broken high tone. Every sweep once speed was adjusted seemed to provide scratchy high tone. Dug the button at approx 4 inches. I usually hunt with iron vol off in familiar sites such as the one today. I got curious and swept the area after button recovery and whew, holy batman there was iron bits all over the area where the button was recovered. I posted this because some have asked what the deus will do if say the deus screen reports lower than the higher tone cutoff. Trust the audio, not the screen numbers. Something else I noticed today is when the iron gets heavy and you plan on using the 11" coil you'd better pull the bridle back on your deus sweep speed. It is very easy to swing too fast with the 11" coil installed as opposed to the 9" coil. Funny thing about the deus is you can actually once in a spot with heavy iron just stand still and start sweeping and turning your body in a circle and actually hunt for several minutes. You'll find yourself resweeping the same areas with varied sweep speeds depending on what your hearing. This is a lot easier to do with a 2.2 pound detector versus the 4 plus pound bicep building detectors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2014 05:54AM by tnsharpshooter.