Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Incredible video of some Civil War coins being dug

Posted by Daniel Tn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Incredible video of some Civil War coins being dug
October 29, 2014 02:45PM
For those of you that don't follow the Diggin in VA hunts, this will be new to you. They just wrapped up DIV 28 up in Culpeper, VA this past weekend and one lucky hunter made an incredible find. He actually dug a Civil War breastplate first....and gave out a warhoop for that. The guy came over with the camera to film him recovering the breast plate....and then what happened after that is what you see in the video. Incredible. You can cut the excitement from him with a knife...it's that good. It's unedited with a little bit of adult language but understandable. I've been around this stuff a long time and I don't think I've ever seen anything of this magnitude dug.

[www.youtube.com]
Re: Incredible video of some Civil War coins being dug
October 29, 2014 03:15PM
Amazing video. Thanks for sharing with us.
Duke
October 29, 2014 03:38PM
Like we died and went to heaven

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
October 29, 2014 04:06PM
That is the best recovery video I've ever seen. By far. I don't believe it's possible to show more enthusiasm.
Had to watch it twice, then show it again to the wife.
smiling smiley
mike
October 29, 2014 04:49PM
Yes indeed very incredible!

Thanks for sharing,

Paul (Ca)
October 29, 2014 05:37PM
wow, awesome! What detector was he using?
October 29, 2014 06:11PM
That is sooooo cool. What an awesome dig and it's great it was on film.

Looks like he was using a Whites TDI.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2014 06:14PM by therover61.
October 29, 2014 07:07PM
Jeez, I needed something to calm my nerves after watching that. What a day for that fellow.
October 29, 2014 08:38PM
Super nice thanks for the share..

UNREAL!!!!!

One of the most historic finds Ive seen caught on film...

No words to describe what the guy was feeling...

Now we see why we HAVE to have more DEPTH>>>

I can only surmise that theres more there than that.. the breast plate is what he heard .. the coins he did not hear at that depth in that dirt..

I HOPE he dug that area out aaround that hole for at least 5 foot diameter to a depth of at least 2 foot....

I believe he is on a CACHE ...The breast plate just happened to be in the RIGHT spot...

That spot needs to be Geo referenced...its needs to be excavated... He's I feel on the tip of the Iceberg...

That's PAYROLL money...100%

Keith

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2014 12:17AM by Keith Southern.
October 29, 2014 11:20PM
WOW!!!! I bet that was is payday he lost.
October 30, 2014 12:14AM
I would faint.
October 30, 2014 12:21AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Super nice thanks for the share..
>
> UNREAL!!!!!
>
> One of the most historic finds Ive seen caught on
> film...
>
> No words to describe what the guy was feeling...
>
> Now we see why we HAVE to have more DEPTH>>>
>
> I can only surmise that theres more there than
> that.. the breast plate is what he heard .. the
> coins he did not hear at that depth in that
> dirt..
>
> I HOPE he dug that area out aaround that hole for
> at least 5 foot diameter to a depth of at least 2
> foot....
>
> I believe he is on a CACHE ...The breast plate
> just happened to be in the RIGHT spot...
>
> That spot needs to be Geo referenced...its needs
> to be excavated... He's I feel on the tip of the
> Iceberg...
>
> That's PAYROLL money...100%
>
>
>
> Keith

I agree Keith

that's "payroll" money that an officer (or the like) was carrying.

No way was that "1" troops pocket spill --- they just didn't have that kind of cash --- way too much for a common infantry/etc. troop to be carrying.

I'd have a backhoe out there!
October 30, 2014 01:52AM
My gut says........... too small (in volume) to be 'Payroll'; but, rather...... individual/very senior officer.

Good thing it was a coin spill......... otherwise none of these would have been detected....... most probably not even the breast plate.

AND FOLKS CONTINUE TO THINK THAT "DEPTH" IS REALLY NOT ALL THAT IMPORTANT!!!

Imagine if you could scrape off ..... say...... the top 9" of soil in that entire field........ THEN detect it. (((And that's just 'one' field...... in this entire world))). To this day.......... no one seems to have (hardly) any idea... just how much is being missed/not detected.... due to depth. Yes.... 'unmasking' is CRITICAL. So is greater depth!

Food-for-thought = If these 1863 drops are at approx 16" depth strata.............. at what depth do you need to ascertain to find 1700's Colonial implements.
And what depth for 1500's - 1600's Spanish implements.
....... What depth for 2000 year-old Roman artifacts.... in European countries.

I shall reiterate: A little more depth will turn this world up-side-down. (You don't know....what you don't know).
October 30, 2014 03:03AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> I shall reiterate: A little more depth will turn
> this world up-side-down. (You don't know....what
> you don't know).

Makes me wanna buy a GPX 5000!
October 30, 2014 03:32AM
way cool!!
October 30, 2014 12:26PM
Understand from several of my fellow club members that were there that the guy that found this is from the Charlotte area and the 2.5 dollar gold coin was minted in Charlotte. Rare coin and worth a lot. A lot of plates found this year with a new field opened for hunting. Some were found by VLF MD's that had been plowed up to 6" or less. I'm borrowing a Garrett Infinium to use and test to see if that is the one I want to get for DIV and the beach. That video will pack the hunt next March.
October 30, 2014 02:35PM
ShovelNose Wrote:
> Understand from several of my fellow club members
> that were there that the guy that found this is
> from the Charlotte area and the 2.5 dollar gold
> coin was minted in Charlotte. Rare coin and worth
> a lot. A lot of plates found this year with a new
> field opened for hunting. Some were found by VLF
> MD's that had been plowed up to 6" or less. I'm
> borrowing a Garrett Infinium to use and test to
> see if that is the one I want to get for DIV and
> the beach. That video will pack the hunt next
> March.

I was reading a bit on the finds at MyTreasureSpot and apparently the finder gave the 1861 2.5 dollar gold coin to John and Rose Kendrick (the event organizers). Quite a gesture!
October 30, 2014 02:38PM
He was using a Whites TDI. Not sure what coil he had on it though but was not the stock TDI coil. No doubt, he heard the breast plate signal loud and clear. I dug one up there with the TDI that was past the hilt of my shovel and thought it was a shallower bullet when I started digging it. From the tip of shovel to the hilt is 12 inches. I have dug caches of bullets up there. Dug one, and more and more just keep coming out of the hole. Pretty fun stuff. I couldn't imagine all those coins coming out like that. My thinking was that the soldier might have been carrying the coins in his cartridge box...and who knows what happened to him. The farm it was found on, was also the site of the battle of Brandy Station. Maybe he was wounded in the battle and then made it to an off part of the battlefield where he died, and wasn't discovered. Maybe he wasn't in the battle at all, and was simply winter camped at the many sites on the property. We'll never know for sure but man oh man what a story. I've hunted that farm at one of the past DIVs. Not sure what part of it that it was found...when I hunted it, we had access to nearly 2,000 acres if I remember right. 2,000 acres is a lot of land to try and put a coil over in just 3 days. I didn't hunt no more than 2 camps the weekend I was there...spent all my time digging in those and still left a lot in the ground when it was time for the hunt to end. I was digging signals of Civil War relics until the last minute of the last hour, and hated to leave because I knew how much was still there.

The 2.5 dollar gold coin....he gave it to the John and Rose, the people that put on the hunts. I've met the guy that found them out hunting at the previous hunts, but didn't really know him. I understand he gives a lot of his finds away to those that haven't had much luck over the weekend. I know he gave away a Mississippi button and I think it was a Georgia button that he had found too. He gave the coin to them because that's just the way he is. He felt like that if it weren't for them, he wouldn't have ever had the opportunity to have dug on these sites in the first place.
October 30, 2014 03:14PM
Thanks for sharing Daniel. A once in a life time hunt although some are more than once. Thanks again .

El
October 30, 2014 04:49PM
Good heavens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If that don't put grist in the mill and get one motivated....nothing will!!!!! That is absolutely spectacular.
This video brought to mind a story that I read where a man found a priceless piece of jewelry (a pearl, if I read correctly) and in his joy and happiness, went and purchased the entire field.
Thanks for the sharing that video Daniel!!!!! That was awesome!!!!
October 31, 2014 01:15AM
looks like a nuggetfinder coil...14" I think...Steve H. would know for sure, but it looks like the one thats most popular in my neck of woods among the nugget crowd.
November 03, 2014 02:57AM
And my wife asked why I want to get back into it so much!!! Vid's like this don't just light a fire....the throw jet fuel on it LOL

Great vid and deff. great times with friends there, thx for sharing
November 04, 2014 02:53AM
That is why depth really matters and it seems the over the pond detectors are trumping our U.S. product. But if he had a PI than he did have an advantage and I think that is coming our way soon a cross between both

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

November 04, 2014 03:26AM
buy my tdi Lowrenzo.
November 04, 2014 03:28AM
Looks likes the gent might have paid for his detector and coil on a one hole dig. Not too bad. And I agree with Tom, the coin spill is what did it. Did you notice the plate was on edge??? All that silver had to have helped the detecting scenario. I have no experience with PI machines. There is a good lesson to be learned from video. I wonder how many good coins have been left behind in hole after maybe 1 was dug??? The ole pinpointers aren't that strong.
November 04, 2014 04:06AM
A hibird is coming that is all I can say maybe 2015 but hey the Deus with the 11" coil and my setting is really deep for the gold country. I have dug small targets at 11" and I am still learning the machine it is small changes that make a big difference if you have the right ground...And there is an update for the Deus coming..

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

November 04, 2014 04:34AM
Hey Lowboy, what size targets you getting at 11 inches??? using 9 or 11 coil?What frequency? I ask, because while I do like the Deus, Im not overly impressed with its depth ...my Tejon kills it so far.
November 04, 2014 04:37PM
I am using the 9" coil and the freq is at 12-18..when starting up the machine keep it out in front of you at the level of your waste when the green light stops blinking at the fast startup then turn your vol on or off and then switch your headphons on. Ground bal after you select your program and changes..make sure the bottom number is at least three points higher then the above number...the best way to ground bal is manual...set your sens to 99 and your ground bal to about 65 pump the coil and then raise your ground bal till the detector is quite..then lower you sens to what ever you use. That is the most stable way for me and more depth.. I use a reactivity of 1 less it is really full of iron and trash you have to slow down a bit but its deeper..the detector that Keith is using seems to be really deep...I have a place we can hunt this late fall in Dec if you want to hook up let me know...

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

November 04, 2014 09:20PM
Really enjoyed that..... Brilliant stuff.
November 04, 2014 10:12PM
Makes me want to buy a back-hoe and grader.