Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Picked up a New GPX 4800 last week.....WOW!!!!

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Picked up a New GPX 4800 last week.....WOW!!!!
November 09, 2014 03:16AM
Stellar machine...was on the fence between the 4800 and 5000 but the price they have going right now on the 4800 was the breaker....and Ive heard for relics you dont need the extra small gold timings....

I must say the most powerful machine I have ever ran...

Keith
Re: Picked up a New GPX 4800 last week.....WOW!!!!
November 09, 2014 03:34AM
crazy huh! I got a gp extreme.
November 09, 2014 03:50AM
Keith you should open your own store...I wish I had areas to hunt, the places I do hunt, I only hunt a few hours each week so I can make the area last...But I think it is the iffy targets that really are some of the
targets I want to hit after I clean a site. I like finding iron somtimes I find some nice iffy targets that turn out keepers. So this fall and winter and spring are the times I hunt every weekend I get even on Thanksgiving and Xmas...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
November 09, 2014 12:46PM
Keith you do need a detector store!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2014 12:59PM by Jack Flynn.
November 09, 2014 01:08PM
I look forward to hearing how you use it. it's ability to ignore shallow iron has always been pretty much ignored by gold-seekers, your take on how it works and what it is useful for will be veryninteresting.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
November 10, 2014 03:50AM
Heres a great deal from a good guy if someone is looking for one! Ray
It's my Baby and she has found me lots of excitement, relaxation and stories for a lifetime. This GPX 4000, be it your first GPX or for a backup unit to your current model is a Home Run. She has the experience to find you, your next nugget next week or years from now! Comes with stock equipment, headphones, battery, harness and chargers. Extras are the swing arm, pocket rocket system with chargers (no batteries). Not pictured is stock 11" DD coil, 11" Mono Coil, original GPX 4000 manual and a DVD with JP The GPX Factor. $2500 for everything (includes shipping CONUS). Includes a day of training if you need it too!

LuckyLundy
November 10, 2014 03:53AM
Wow will she massage my feet after a day of detecting??

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

November 10, 2014 05:08AM
You should buy it Lowboy and go nuggetshooting with me. Hell,you live smack dab in the motherlode...and dont detect for nuggets???
November 10, 2014 06:16AM
I don't detect for nuggets but I like chicken Mcnuggets and I am happy with the Deus and the learning curve it is an interesting machine that has some great adjustments that make a big difference. And with a new upgrade coming all I can say is I am spending my money to hunt in South Carolina this winter on a sight that dates back to the 1765-1865. That cost a few bucks to pull that trip off. And I keep my eye on Keith and what interests him since he has just about every machine on the planet earth.

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

November 10, 2014 02:42PM
Oh man you've gone and done it now!! I had the GPX 5000 and the info you were given was absolutely true. Between the 4800 and 5000, there's not a lick of difference unless you are hunting the salt flats or for smaller type gold...in which a high frequency VLF will find smaller gold than the GPX will. Where the GPX machines shine is finding "larger" metal items at extreme depths in ANY soils, including the rough red mineralized crap we hunt in....be it nuggets, gold rings, civil war bullets, buttons, coins, etc. With items of that size, you had best bring a bigger shovel.

You can get by with just a couple of the timings on the GPX for what we do....the Normal and Sensitive Extra were the two I used most of the time. The GPX in Normal timing with the sensitivity set to its lowest setting...I could get SOLID signals on coins and bullets in my test garden that even the best of VLF machines could barely get...and most couldn't get. In actual hunting conditions it shows even more muscle. Unreal machines for sure. If I had the money, I would get a 4500 or 4800. The 5000 isn't worth the extra.

Shallow bullets and coins will give a low tone followed by a high tone tag end. I use shallow loosely...because pending on your sensitivity settings, a coin or bullet 10 inches or less will give you that same low tone with the high tone tail end and will sometimes overload the coil and blank it out...making you think it might be iron. It was quite staggering to get a signal you would think should be a shallow target...only to find that after 6 or 8 inches, that it is still directly down in the hole and much deeper. You immediately start thinking it must be junk...but out of curiosity you dig a little more and then around 10-11 inches, out comes a minie ball. I found that the deeper objects would only give the low tone....no high tag end to it. Those were the minies that were 15-18 inches in the ground. The breast plate I dug was over 12 inches and it sounded like a bullet just below the surface when I first started digging it. And I had a small coil on the machine then...the CoilTek Joey coil.

Awesome machines. I want to go back to a DIV hunt but I know I wont go back unless I have a GPX in my hands.
November 17, 2014 05:09AM
Thaks for the Info Daniel..

Ill P.M. you for more Info on setting's..

Keith
November 17, 2014 11:59PM
I have a 4800..with a bunch of coils...have not even really used it....tried in house to turn on ...noisy..........will have to take it out and try it...I guess!
November 27, 2014 03:59AM
Finding anymore good stuff with this unit Keith??

Can you give us an updated evaluation since having used it for a while now?
November 27, 2014 04:22AM
Well for my intended use Wayne its really counter productive for my time to spent ..my finds ratio is way off...

Im trying to use it in a area where theres a good bit of iron and deep at that...

not sure my soil in the area where the iron is at is bad enough to warrant the P.I. I can be mroe productive time wise with Vlfs and even FBS...

Now if I was going to stay out away form the iron and dig deep bullets and artillery shells it would work better but thats really not my thing after awhile digging just deep bullets looses its allure...

I like Buttons and I find very few out of irony sites....

I was hoping to be abple to work the edges of house sites with it looking for deeep targets...but way to much time consumption on iron...

the Disc is still for surface....probably a propectors dream though....or guys who hunt scattered battlefieds for relics or even in campssites where the dirt is heavy mineral...

But not for my style of relic hunting...I have heavy mineal buty jsut in spots around here...

One good thing not too many house sites Ive ever found were in extreely bad dirt...

the areas here I do need a P.I. I can get by with cheaper model and accomplish about the same results.

in a nutshell fantastic powerful unit but has to be used in the right spots..Spots I dont go into often ..IM NOT GETTING YOUNGER AND TO FIND THE THINGS I WANT TO FIND I NEED EQUIPMENT TO WORK WITH ME ON MY SITES..

Someone needs to build Discing P.I. LOL!!!!

Keith

Keith