Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Pinpointers, quite a few new ones out???

Posted by Jack Flynn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Pinpointers, quite a few new ones out???
December 03, 2014 03:37AM
I've had several Pro pointers then got the ML Profind when it came out. I haven't been thrilled with it since it debuted. Tell me about the newer ones. I just might be in the market for one. The good the bad and the ugly mind you.
Re: Pinpointers, quite a few new ones out???
December 03, 2014 03:43AM
Ive played around with a few that a dealer had..

If I bought one it would of been the Whites newest one ..TRX...very deep for a pinpointer...

I also saw a Nokta demo and it was very sensitive...but not waterproof...I bet they have a more rugged one out before long...

Keith
December 03, 2014 03:51AM
I'm sticking with the garrett pinpointer. Tough as nails, proven, and not to expensive.
December 03, 2014 03:53AM
I've had a couple of pro pointers, the pro find (did not like), old and new whites bullseye (Trx), and various Sun rays. The Sun Ray is my favorite as it discriminates with your detector, but they have yet to make a wireless one for the Deus so that's not an option. I am currently using the new Trx and it works well. I find that I really don't need all the menu stuff but it's there, I guess. If I were to pick up another pointer I'd probably get a Garrett. Tried and true, and a simple on and off works just fine for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2014 03:55AM by triplehooked.
December 03, 2014 03:58AM
Agreed, the Garrett ProPointer is pretty tough. The one I bought 5yrs just recently died, I sent it back to Garrett and they wanted $90 to fix it, I passed as I'd rather just get a new one for a little more or a used one. What happened was the button went on it and it always stayed on, I probably turned it on and off too much. I have a back up and I don't turn it off anymore till the target is recovered.
I still think it's the best pinpointed out there.

Aaron
December 03, 2014 04:08AM
Hi Jack.

I too tried the Minelab Profind after my Garrett started falsing. I sent the ML back after three days; it did not seem to be as sensitive as the Garrett on in ground targets. I replaced the ML with the Whites TRX and I love it. The TRX is considerably more sensitive and I really like how it detects only on the tip and not all the way up the shaft. The external shell on the TRX doesn't feel as durable as the Garrett or ML, but it can be easily replaced should it become cracked or worn. In short, the TRX is by far my favorite of the three I've tried. I hope this helps.

Duke
December 03, 2014 07:47AM
Jack,
I've also had pretty much everything, and also been somewhat disappointed with the ML...especially for the price.

After trying out all the new ones, I've (semi-)permanently retired the Garretts in favor of the White's TRX...in combination with the DetectorPro Headphone pointer. (UniProbe)
They are both deeper sensing than anything else I've tried.

The TRX is a little twitchy, especially when first learning it. I described it once as going from a Ford F-150(Garrett) to an Italian sports car(TRX).
Once I finally learned it's quirks, the others have gathered dust. I also like the fact that I can put 2 lithium AA batteries in it and basically forget about needing batteries.

Still, the TRX doesn't detect quite as deeply (in my soil) as the DetectorPro. Since the UniProbe is a PI, it cuts through the mineralization better on good targets, but it can have trouble seeing some small foil-like stuff.
I find myself using both during the day. The DP/UP is great for chasing those coins on edge that hide in the sides of the hole, or deeper in the bottom.(..as well as the deep old @#% rusty nails.) The TRX frequently comes out when the signal is tiny junk hiding in the plug, and I need to eliminate the need to keep digging.

Most all the other pointers are fine if you don't need the depth. Some folk just never dig targets past 7", or they dig in really neutral soil.

The X-pointer is a good unit for the price. My wife uses my old Garrett and considers it infinitely better than her junk Fisher/BH/Tek pinpointer.
(Which by the way, wins the prize of the worst pinpointer I've ever used...what were they thinking?)

HH
mike
December 03, 2014 10:42AM
Have used the Garret PP, Vibra Probe 580, fisher and now trying the Makro Pointer,... so far the Makro has proven to be very well designed/constructed...solid build, no falsing whatsoever, and waterproof not just water resistant.
December 03, 2014 10:43AM
The Garrett Pro Pointers are junk in my opinion. They work very well while they work. I went through three of them through the years and all developed falsing problems. On other forums the stories and number of people with problems with the Garrett Pro Pointer are just astounding. The design is flawed. As simple as that. And it seems the newest ones are getting worse. Garrett knows there is a problem. They have to just because of the number of people returning them for service. But they never acknowledged a problem or released a new design. They just keep chugging along making the same flawed product. Their customer service is great. But their products need some serious attention. From the top of the line antique to the Pro Pointer.

I like a deep pinpointer because I am after deep targets. I want one that works. The Whites TRX works very well and it is deep. It is the best I have used.

The new Makro is waterproof and gets good reviews. If I was buying one right now it would sure be tempting to try.
December 03, 2014 02:35PM
I'd like to add an "amen" to Mike in Co's summary of the relative merits of the TRX and the Pistol Pro.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
December 03, 2014 03:07PM
They really have come a long way with pinpointers but still like the Garrett pro when its working as have to agree with Goodmore as his post relative this product is a truism..
December 03, 2014 03:09PM
Take a look on this UK forum, there's several new ones mentioned on there - Deteknix, Nokta, Makro, plus the TRX, MineLab Profind, et al.
[www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk]
December 03, 2014 04:33PM
I just got the Makro Pointer Waterproof with Led Light and Extra's it s a pin pointer and looks to be better then the Garrett but I will know this Saturday...It looks nice and sturdy and has on an air test better depth then the Garrett. It has sens setting 1-4. The best hands down is the uniporbe they are headphones with a PI probe and best depth I have seen. And you can really pickup targets better. I use all three with my Deus I like to use different probes when hunting. The sound on the Uniprobe is better then the Deus 5 headphones...but that is what you get when you spend that kind of money.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
December 03, 2014 09:31PM
I was watching few YT clips from "NiagaracountyNY" where he is using the Makro Pointer (this guy makes great videos BTW). I got the impression, the transition is not detailed enough. If the tip of the pointer is getting closer to an object, the audio doesn't tell it like the Garrett. It is somehow slow (in my opinion).
December 03, 2014 09:59PM
I have to agree with everyone on the TRX. I bought one when I had to send in my less than 1 year old Garrett for repair. The TRX is amazingly deeper and I love it. My seven year old uses the Garrett now.

Discrimination is the root of all evil.
December 03, 2014 10:15PM
I found this video usefull.

[www.youtube.com]
December 03, 2014 10:24PM
Never used a "pin pointer" until about 2 yrs ago when I bought a Pro Pointer

it's been a good little tool but I'm gonna try one of the Makro's come spring (completely submersible/waterproof) - sens is adjustable and it gets good reviews = "sold"!
December 03, 2014 11:15PM
My experience with the garrets is their junk. The switch has thin plastic peice under that breaks. Why they'd put something so delicate in a high stress area is beyond me. Mine broke on the 3rd hole with.

I own 2 trx's and love them. If your a coin shooter they're perfect. As they keep you from damaging items w/ur digger due to the strong directional sensitivity. I also love the ratchet function, nobody discusses it but its nice.
December 04, 2014 12:29AM
I picked up a makro and have used it for several outings now. Feels solid and not like a flimsy piece of plastic in your hand, good depth for what it's used for and the replaceable end caps saves wear and tear. Buttons are easy to use with gloved hand and the vibration mode it not weak like some I've had.

I would like to see a full belt loop attachment on the case other than the clip but if that's my only fault with it, I'm good.
December 04, 2014 01:44AM
I've used this one Garrett for many years now, even took it apart once and broke the little tiny switch.....practically had to put the switch back together with tweezers, but got lucky. Now, to turn it on I have to hold the button in, when I release it, it shuts off.....kind of like it that way.
December 04, 2014 05:36PM
The Makro and TRX both look good. I like having the option to turn the audio off and just go by the vibration. Both of them have sensitivity adjustments. Hard decision between those two. I think I will be retiring my ProPointer.

Thanks a lot guys. lol Wasn't even looking for one but now I am buying.
December 04, 2014 08:56PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Makro and TRX both look good. I like having
> the option to turn the audio off and just go by
> the vibration. Both of them have sensitivity
> adjustments. Hard decision between those two. I
> think I will be retiring my ProPointer.
>
> Thanks a lot guys. lol Wasn't even looking for
> one but now I am buying.

hope you get the Makro so we can get some good feedback on it....It does sound good though I'm wondering if it might be a little awkward to use with the buttons up top. Also, with a
clean sheet design I don't understand why a lanyard attachment point wasn't just molded in, especially since it's fully submersible.
I mostly use the pro-pointer as its very quick to use and does really well (if you happen to get a good one). I also have the TRX and found the vibration alone was too weak, so
I have to have both audio/vib on...

cheers and good luck with whatever you get...
December 04, 2014 08:58PM
ozzie Wrote:
> I've used this one Garrett for many years now,
> even took it apart once and broke the little tiny
> switch.....practically had to put the switch back
> together with tweezers, but got lucky. Now, to
> turn it on I have to hold the button in, when I
> release it, it shuts off.....kind of like it that
> way.

Maybe I will have you mod mine like that next hunt....
December 04, 2014 09:19PM
Ha Ha lol Rod, you can't be serious. Getting to know you and your sense of humor, I'm sure you're kidding. I also said I 'got lucky' putting that dot of a switch back together. But if you want, I can break yours and hope for the best....I'll have you sign something first though. lol
December 04, 2014 11:36PM
goodmore Wrote:
> The Garrett Pro Pointers are junk in my opinion.
> They work very well while they work. I went
> through three of them through the years and all
> developed falsing problems. On other forums the
> stories and number of people with problems with
> the Garrett Pro Pointer are just astounding. The
> design is flawed. As simple as that. And it seems
> the newest ones are getting worse. Garrett knows
> there is a problem. They have to just because of
> the number of people returning them for service.
> But they never acknowledged a problem or released
> a new design. They just keep chugging along making
> the same flawed product. Their customer service is
> great. But their products need some serious
> attention. From the top of the line antique to the
> Pro Pointer.
>
> I like a deep pinpointer because I am after deep
> targets. I want one that works. The Whites TRX
> works very well and it is deep. It is the best I
> have used.
>
> The new Makro is waterproof and gets good reviews.
> If I was buying one right now it would sure be
> tempting to try.
WOW! I must have got lucky been using same one for four years or when ever they first came out as I forget. And I never had one problem with mine what so ever. I like it so much a month after I got it I got a second as back up in case it did go out as they are addicting and never had to use it. I still have it New in the box in my closet.
December 05, 2014 02:37PM
I used to really like the Uniprobes. I liked the Uniprobes becuase they were sensitive, deep and quiet and I could use them with any detector. But the EMI in my area has gotten steadily worse until I had many areas where the Uniprobe became unusable. I thought I had finally broke it at first but nope, it was just EMI shutting it down.

When I went shopping for a new one I wanted depth, sensitivity, and silence. Picked the TRX. A little bit of a learning curve but I like it. I only use it on vibrate only mode and it works ok. I baby the switch. Don't use too much force and never get the thumbnail in it. Always use the ball of the thumb to turn it on and off, ground balance, or detuning.

I bought a Sunray probe for the ACE series at a good price. When I find a good deal on a ACE-250 I'm going to turn it into a hipmount or upper rod mounted probe. Silent with a display readout.

HH
Mike
December 05, 2014 03:03PM
Mike Hillis Wrote:
> I used to really like the Uniprobes. I liked the
> Uniprobes becuase they were sensitive, deep and
> quiet and I could use them with any detector. But
> the EMI in my area has gotten steadily worse until
> I had many areas where the Uniprobe became
> unusable. I thought I had finally broke it at
> first but nope, it was just EMI shutting it down.
>
>
> When I went shopping for a new one I wanted depth,
> sensitivity, and silence. Picked the TRX. A
> little bit of a learning curve but I like it. I
> only use it on vibrate only mode and it works ok.
> I baby the switch. Don't use too much force and
> never get the thumbnail in it. Always use the
> ball of the thumb to turn it on and off, ground
> balance, or detuning.
>
> I bought a Sunray probe for the ACE series at a
> good price. When I find a good deal on a ACE-250
> I'm going to turn it into a hipmount or upper rod
> mounted probe. Silent with a display readout.
>
> HH
> Mike

Show us a picture of that when you get it done Mike---sounds interesting.-----I think Tinfoil made something like that some years back.----Maybe it was off of a Fisher?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2014 03:06PM by D&P-OR.