Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Garrett pro pinpointer longevity...

Posted by Dan-Pa. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Garrett pro pinpointer longevity...
December 11, 2014 03:02PM
Had mine go out twice in one season..Am I unlucky or is this the norm..Great unit when working and I have used several brands over the years....Seems like the internal coil goes which equates to about one half the price of a new one....
Re: Garrett pro pinpointer longevity...
December 11, 2014 03:33PM
I have mine 4 years and still working good,never had any issues with it.
December 11, 2014 03:42PM
Mine's still going strong after 2 years.
December 11, 2014 04:02PM
Yep...they go bad..If you grab it around the end....and put pressure...like you are trying to bend it...it will fasle ,if bad....I have had a couple do this....It cost about 60.00 dollars to send it in to get fixxed ...with postage and return postage.......really a bad design on the coil...they should figure a fix?........Half the people out there ...don't know theres is bad!!!!...Think ,I would go with a Makro......at least you get a pinpointer with depth and a super nice holder..and waterproof and two hard shells.....Garrett ...can"t make a new machine..to busy...fixxing Pinpointers!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2014 04:03PM by mascard1.
December 11, 2014 04:28PM
Made in the USA oh brother what is going on

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
December 11, 2014 04:31PM
I just gave up on mine . It is dead , now ! It lasted about 2 1/2 years , but has been giving trouble the last 6 months .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2014 04:47PM by Esteban.
December 11, 2014 06:12PM
I went through three of them in two seasons. That was enough.
December 11, 2014 07:41PM
I got a Minelab Pro Find in a trade, don,t know how old it was. It quit beeping on anything coins, nails, anything. I called Minelab they sent me a pre paid shipping lable, i sent it in and they sent me a new one in the box. I told them that i was not first owner. They did me good
December 11, 2014 09:23PM
Returned mine when it broke on the 3rd target located with it. My dealer told me he's had a lot more come back in the last 6 months or so than when they were first released. Not sure if it's just hearsay but around the forums guys that got them shortly after they were released seem to have gotten good ones, but recently they don't seem to be doing so great. Maybe something's changed in the quality control/components? Could just be more of them total out there.
December 11, 2014 11:04PM
Yep from doing some research seems like get a good one and it last and vice versa. Have dealth with Garrett for years they sure held up well relative their detectors in general...Think a light would go on at the factory with many being returned. Really a shame as it is a good unit when working...
December 12, 2014 12:31AM
I have two and in the last few years I've dug about a $900 of clad each year plus countless tabs and other stuff and mine have held up acceptably. I don't jab and use them as digging implements as I see many foolishly do.
When the first one started getting weak and puny sounding I bought another and sent the first one in after 23 months of the 24 month warranty for about 6 bucks and got it back like new,,,hard to beat that. The pro find sucks in comparison for $50 more. They could use a redesign but have set the standard for pin pointers for a reason.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2014 12:33AM by shoveler.
December 12, 2014 01:09AM
I guess I had good luck with mine as it is goin' on 4 years or so with out a hitch. I liked it so much bought a second one a week or so after the first in case it had issues,But never used it as it is still new in the box in my closet. Before the Garrett I had a Whites Bulleyes I was sending in on a regular basis as the little rubber button would rub off. Then the Bullseye II came out with the new design button,But didn't care for it as had to hold the button in would cause my hand to cramp. Garrett got it rite with button set up they use.
December 12, 2014 01:22AM
I had three. All went bad. The third was bad out of the box. I bashed Garrett on numerous threads on numerous forums. If you buy one good luck with it. I hope it lasts forever. But I have moved on from Garrett and the Pro Pinpointer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2014 12:18AM by goodmore.
December 12, 2014 02:10AM
I've owned one for a few years now...... used and abused it. Its been fully submersed passed the speaker holes several times and still works.
I like it...because it works well and has never given me problems.

Edit; Oops, I did take it apart and broke the switch...but I put it back together...almost forgot about that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2014 02:24AM by ozzie.
December 12, 2014 02:17AM
My Garrett lasted less than a year. I loved it when I got it, but really didn't take long for it to start acting funny. Then it just totally went nuts. I ordered a TRX and sent my Garrett in for repair. I got the Garrett back and it still didn't work. I had to send it right back again. I finally got it back and working, but it was way too late. I had found a much better tool in the TRX. Now my 7 year old uses the Garrett. He enjoys it. It's very nice for a kid to play with.

Discrimination is the root of all evil.
December 12, 2014 03:07AM
I would buy American..I have seen a lot of them go bad...it seems like they would make a fix?...I like them a lot when they WORK!
December 12, 2014 03:56AM
Take a garrett pinpointer and hopld the tip in your hand and the thhandle in another hand and flex it and watch it sound off...

thats the only one of a half dozen Ive seen false when you put pressure on them...

Keith
December 12, 2014 01:07PM
My garrett lasted 3 years. The push button finally went bad. sent it in, they told me $52 to fix it. I paid it, they sent a whole new PP. Good deal .
December 14, 2014 01:13AM
I went through 2 garretts in one year. I bought the new TRX from Whites. I like it way better the the Garrett. Corey
December 14, 2014 05:21PM
When mine started falsing & giving trouble,,, everyone told me to send it in with $25 & I would get a new one. I called Garrett & talked to a lady. She said to send it in with $50 , they would repair it & send me a bill for only the parts. I have heard of others doing this & it turned out to cost them $90, plus shipping one way. Forget that !
December 18, 2014 11:55PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Take a garrett pinpointer and hopld the tip in
> your hand and the thhandle in another hand and
> flex it and watch it sound off...
>
> thats the only one of a half dozen Ive seen false
> when you put pressure on them...
>
> Keith

Have you tried that with the other pin pointers?With a Bullseye you'll probably snap off the stem.
December 19, 2014 12:21AM
There has been hundreds of people reporting falsing problems with their Garrett Pro Pinpointer. I surf almost all the forums and I see the posts. If there were lemon laws for pin pointers there would be a recall. I have stated numerous times that there should be a class action lawsuit for the shipping costs. Comparing it to other Pin Pointers just doesn't wash because the number of complaints just are not there. If you are fortunate to have a Garrett Pro Pinpointer that works then good for you. But the three I had that eventually became unstable with falsing was not an issue of neglect. It is an issue of a bad product. I took financial losses on my Pro Pinpointers because I refused to pass the problem onto some other person reselling them as used on a forum. I have moved on from Garrett and their products. And the entire issue will keep me from buying anything Garrett. Sorry for the rant. But if people come to the forums to learn like I do then this issue should never be argued. Any person can plainly see that there is a problem. So there you have it. Buy one at your own risk.
December 19, 2014 03:11AM
There are thousands , probably tens of thousands from the serial numbers , reporting nothing because they're satisfied with their pinpointers and have no reason to complain. All the new pointers coming out are takeoffs of the Garrett for a reason . Some of them improve on the performance but none of them have a track record to compare against the Garrett's either. Time will tell . A friend bought a TRX and it failed the first day. Perhaps the competition will motivate Garrett to improve their product-- or they will fail--I love free market capitalism smiling smiley

Why would you buy THREE if you had bad experiences with the first two?
December 19, 2014 01:59PM
I only ever had two of them at one time. I sent one in to Garrett and got a brand new one that was bad out of the box. After that I decided that enough was enough. I'll stay with Whites and the TRX. Your friend must have abused his.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2014 11:52PM by goodmore.
December 19, 2014 02:58PM
goodmore Wrote:
> I only ever had two of them at one time. I sent
> one in to Garrett and got a brand new one that
> was bad out of the box. After that I decided that
> enough was enough. I'll tay with Whites and the
> TRX. Your friend must have abused his.
Probably tring to use it like a Garrett,just not as durable.I've seen videos of people digging for targets,jamming and digging with the pinpointer,suprised the pointer last one hunt the way they use it.Haven't seen too many videos useing other pin pointers the way they use the Garretts.I just retired my 4+year Garrett pin pointer working,second one is working just fine and I have a new one in the box that works just fine, so I'm 3 for 3 and your 0 for 3,what else is there to say.
December 19, 2014 04:34PM
goodmore Wrote:
> I only ever had two of them at one time. I sent
> one in to Garrett and got a brand new one that
> was bad out of the box. After that I decided that
> enough was enough. I'll tay with Whites and the
> TRX. Your friend must have abused his.

You are surprisingly correct!!
As beau stated that's exactly what he was doing ---using it like a Garrett probing into a hard plug and the tip broke off.
I think he uses a Uniprobe now and treats the high dollar one much more gently. Even the hard core White's zealots I know use the Garrett for the greatest part knowing the Bullseye is just a glorified Harbor Freight rendition.
With luck , the new entries into the field will result in a redesign by Garrett to make theirs even better and make manufacturers like White's and Detector Pro more price competitive. Fisher's has bitten the dust for inferior design and performance and deep down those using the Profind will admit the Garrett is not perfect , but better.
December 19, 2014 11:54PM
Any redesign by Garrett will be welcome. They have no where to go but up. But hey you keep using yours. I wish you great success with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2014 11:56PM by goodmore.
December 19, 2014 11:55PM
Well as always Garrett repaired it for the second time under warranty...Always like Garrett for service after the sale...If it goes again time to look for another brand....
Seems like if you get a good one it lasts and vice versa...Never abused mine for sure and seen some like they were thru a mud war and fellas had them several seasons....