Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Confused on this F75 business

Posted by 1ptr58 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Confused on this F75 business
December 20, 2014 04:07AM
Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No where did i ever say "pass up good signals" or
> anything refering to "expect anyone not to dig a
> target" thats what im refering to by assuming

I don't mean to belabor this issue any more, or highjack the thread any further, but...I can't let this go.

I gave you the chance to clarify what you meant, since you said that some posters are not representing you correctly, and "assuming." But you did not clarify, at all. You didn't even attempt to.

Yes, you very much did say something "referring to expecting anyone not to dig a target" -- you said that people who "dug all the good targets" and "left the trash" were "uncaring," and you used the word "greedy" to refer to this practice, as well.

So, logically, if you think folks who "dug all the good targets, leaving only the trash" were UN-caring and greedy, i.e. "wrong," for doing so, then the logical assumption is that the "right" thing to do -- the "caring" and "not greedy/generous" thing to do, in your opinion, would be for folks to have NOT dug all the good targets, so as to leave some for future hunters.

To continue with the logic...for someone to NOT dig "all the good targets," that would mean either a.) only hunting a site a couple of times, and then purposely not hunting there anymore, so as to "leave some good targets for future hunters," OR b.) hearing a good target, but not digging it, so as to "leave some good targets for future hunters."

Thus, the seemingly logical conclusion that was drawn -- the conclusion that you were saying that in order for a detectorist to be judged by you as being "caring" and "not greedy," it means that they would have either stopped hunting sites that they dug good targets at, so as to "leave some goodies," OR -- to hear good targets but choose not to dig them -- again so as to "leave some goodies."

If this train of thought is considered "assuming," I don't know what else to say...

Anyway, it's all good. This is really not a big deal -- and you are entitled to your opinions, of course, whatever they may be. However, my only point here is that you made a statement that seems to imply something that a good many of us would not agree with; thus, some folks questioned you on it -- because after all, I think most of us DO INDEED hunt to "dig all the good targets that our equipment and skill will in fact permit us to find." I had hoped you would take the chance to clarify, and show where you feel you were being mis-represented.

Peace.

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2014 04:16AM by steveg.
December 20, 2014 05:10AM
Steve..im not trying to being a jerk to u but that train of thought is assumng becuse its neither "a" or "b". to me it is was very obvious however i wanted to leave it open to interpitation for others to engage in an actual disscussion or to figure it out on their own. but since certian ppl did not like when i confronted them with the truth they felt the need to attack my character without any facts or even knowing who i am. i did not specifiy any one paticular person as being greedy. I specified an entire generation before me, very specically this area. they literally and figuratively robbed future generations of the value of this hobby. Steve, i will clairfy since u really want to know what i meant. my father loves to fish but he never brought any home. i asked him why. he said he threw the fish back in. I asked why again and he gave me two reasons: one, to let the fish live to fight another day and two, to give someone else the opportunity to enjoy the thrill of catching the fish. if all the good finds r gone[again see my definition of a good finds posted above] then future generations such as urs or someone elses kids or grand kids do not get to enjoy the hobby and the hobby dies out. so what i meant was dig the good targets, leave the good targets. to seed and such. am i telling aNYONE to do this? NO do what your morles and conscience tells u to do. fair enough?
December 20, 2014 08:21AM
Catch and release detecting. Um, sure.
December 20, 2014 09:56AM
OK, Beyonder, fair enough. If that is what your value system tells you is "right" to do, then I can certainly respect that. And you are correct: I proposed an A or B, i.e. dig the targets, or DON'T dig the targets -- with no ability to even comprehend that any other option, i.e. a "C" option, could possibly exist. I was wrong. Your "C" option, i.e. a "catch and release" option, as Crosby put it, is certainly something that I did not even imagine. So you exposed a flaw in my logic, and forced my thinking "out of the box" that I didn't even know it was in.

I did not imagine there existing your "option C," because along with detecting, I also have a passion for collecting old coins. I LOVE them -- even just to look at them. In fact, I had a love for old coins even BEFORE I started detecting; it just so happens that the hobby of detecting fits for me like a glove because along with enjoying the hobby for multiple reasons in and of themselves, detecting has the added benefit for me of facilitating enjoyment of a SECOND hobby -- coin collecting.

So, for me, the idea of detecting and digging a gorgeous coin -- ESPECIALLY a more rare one, such as the ones you focused your post on, and then STICKING IT BACK IN THE GROUND, makes literally no sense, in my world. After all, how does one "collect coins," if they don't KEEP them? I literally could not have imagined anyone putting in the time and effort to learn the hobby, learn their machine, research their hunting spot, spend hours swinging their machine at said hunting spot, finally manage to find a good signal, and then fortuitously dig an old/rare/historic target, only to put said target right back in the ground. And for me and my value system, I simply do not see keeping the goodies that one detects/finds as "greedy" or "uncaring" in any way. From my point of view -- it's the WHOLE POINT of the hobby, to find and collect/keep/value the historical items detected. I will even give finds away at times, I try to return any valuable piece of jewelry to the owner if possible, and I would be more than happy to give a particularly historic find to a museum or other public display, for others to enjoy and value. But to simply re-bury it?

I do understand your larger point, about greed and a "me-first" attitude. I agree that greed/selfishness is a major problem -- enough so that it can bring down marriages, friendships, companies, or even entire countries. So, while I attempt to restrain that human impulse within myself, and be as generous as I can possibly manage (despite my human flaws), I CERTAINLY do not see it as a moral wrong to collect precisely as many coins from the ground as I can possibly locate. To me, it's the whole point of the hobby.

Let's hunt together sometime; I'll even buy your lunch, but I just can't go so far as to take a Bust coin that I might find, and re-bury it back in the hole I dug! winking smiley That said, if that Bust coin happens to be one that you found earlier, and re-buried, then I guess I'll have to buy your dinner, as well! smiling smiley

SORRY to all, for the thread-jack.

Peace,

Steve
December 20, 2014 11:32AM
Beyonder that is the dumbest thing ive ever heard lol did you read your own post?? I think maybe you need to rethink this whole hobby thing...your going about it the wrong way.... Have fun..your blaming people for your lack of finds.. In order for you to be successful then do your homework to find what it is that you think is best of the best finds... I have found many great finds over the 30 plus years but im just as happy finding silver dimes or buffalo nickles..... Your not gonna find anyone to agree with you..good luck
December 20, 2014 11:53AM
"Catch and release" metal detecting!?

SERIOUSLY!?

YOU seriously expect to come to this forum (or any treasure hunting forum) and tell an entire group of treasure hunters that invest on avg. $1000/$2000 per machine and $100s to $1000s more in related equipment, 100s to 1000s of hrs in research, 100s to 1000s of miles driven locating sites to hunt, countless hrs of walking, tromping through the woods, fields, etc. enduring any/all weather conditions, with 1000s of hrs of relentless work in digging/recovering their targets

that

they should do/spend all the above JUST to throw their finds back in the holes so as to not be "greedy" and to leave the stuff for future generations to "find"!?

Hahaha

AGAIN - like Ray said = LAUGHABLE!!!!!!!!!!
December 20, 2014 12:37PM
I don't think your lack of coin finds are from past detectorists "greed" or lack of skill....you may be placing blame incorrectly. Maybe you zigged when the coin in the ground was in the zag...luck, basically. Maybe the women where you live were better at sewing pocket holes.

I have noticed, and you may think this it ludicrous, when I hunt grounds that past Germans lived, the old coins were not there, What does that mean? I'm not sure, you can speculate on that, could be a number of reasons.

My most productive area in NE PA ( where you live), were around old springs (the water flowing from the ground),.. off of old traveling routes/roads. I have hunted other places in your area that should have produced and I have been skunked.

Rethinking,... DanPa is from that area, he may be the culprit. LOL.

Kidding aside, Beyonder, keep at it hard and with a good attitude, I know you will find them, I can almost guarantee it. Good Luck sir!
December 20, 2014 01:33PM
Now Ive heard it all! It is Christmas season and not April fools day,right? Greedy??Many of us give our finds away to homeowners,wives,museums,etc. Are uou only running high disc,looking for loud,clean dig me signals???
December 20, 2014 01:51PM
Beyonder...are you an archeologist posing here as a detectorist to try an get us to reveal our finds? Whatever,I am done with this nonsense. Merry Christmas everyone. Ray
December 20, 2014 03:36PM
Catch and release. That's awesome. They call them keepers for a reason. I don't put anything back in the hole except dirt.

Discrimination is the root of all evil.
December 20, 2014 04:02PM
That's why our sport is called dirt fishing.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
December 20, 2014 04:13PM
Hi,,, Well I just done my part to preserve this great hobby for future generations to come.....I went to the coin shop and bought some old coins, I then drove out to our local worked out fairgrounds....It was tough because of some semi frozen ground but I did manage to bury numerous old coins at various depths....In closing, I sure hope the future coin hunters appreciate it....JJ
December 20, 2014 04:32PM
JJ, that's funny, but I don't believe you. lol
December 20, 2014 04:38PM
What fairgrounds? winking smiley
December 20, 2014 04:49PM
basstrackerman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What fairgrounds? winking smiley

Hey!!! Don't be greedy now.

Discrimination is the root of all evil.
December 20, 2014 05:18PM
Steve-the posts after mine is another reason why i didnt want to say anything else on the subject. collecting coins is a different subject entirerly. and thanks for the invite im sure it would be fun btw i was impressed with that post

"the dumbest thing ive ever heard"-thats debatable

"are you an archeologist posing here as a detectorist to try an get us to reveal our finds"-i didnt ask anyone to reveal anything

"In order for you to be successful then do your homework"-who says i dont?

"YOU seriously expect to come to this forum (or any treasure hunting forum) and tell an entire group of treasure hunters..."- i didnt expect anything or tell anyone to do anything...are you even reading my posts or just skimming them and making assumptions? i just wanted 2 feet of depth. i too have spent thousands of dollars{and prepared to spend another thousand f75}. i too have swung thousands of hours. i too have endured all kinds of inclimate weather. i too have spent thousands of hours digging targets. your point is moot. what someone does with their finds is their business i told no one to do anything. i just gave an opinion. does someone really need 20 silver halves in a year? thats the very definition of greed

"your blaming people for your lack of finds"-lack of good finds u mean. I am and its true. its a fact that there were MD clubs that had hundreds of members and that they hunted this area hard.

ozzie- thanks

jimmyjiver-that is fantastic

in closing this post[im sure there will be more on this subject] i would like to say thanks to everyones opinion on the subject for and against. you may not agree with my understanding of the hobby but its just my opinion. I noticed those that outright disagreed with me didnt seem to give a damn about the kids they just felt it easier to call this opinion laughable. shows you something for sure.
December 20, 2014 06:54PM
Quote by Beyonder-PA: "does someone really need 20 silver halves in a year? thats the very definition of greed"

Beyonder-PA, what should the annual limit be?
December 20, 2014 07:07PM
You have entered the twilight zone!!!!! I am amazed that this guy found his way to any place to hunt.. Wow!!! I retired from department of corrections and thought working there so long that i had heard it all..nope ...but im sure i have now..winking smiley
December 20, 2014 07:10PM
Wha wha wha - sniff sniff sniff -- "someone found/took all the good finds in my area"!!
December 20, 2014 07:55PM
I Always dig one, leave one, for de Chilluns.
December 21, 2014 01:33AM
This is a big joke. Feel foolish for falling for it. Good one Beyonder!
December 21, 2014 01:58AM
I think that (most) of this post/thread is a perfect example of "cabin fever" at its finest!! ha ha
December 22, 2014 01:34AM
Been watching this thread run its course and had to laugh several times at Beyonder-Pa's attempt to explain his position . Kinda reminds me of a dog chasing its own tail.

Anyway just wanted to post that for the record I have no guilt as far as what I posted or in my detecting methods contrary to Beyonder's "assumption" a word he likes to throw around but seems to be most guilty of .

Also accused me of attacking his character even though I did no such thing . I did question his detecting proficiency as a possible reason for his failure to make any good/great finds .

Carry on all as I love to learn from the great forum members many of which have less experience than I but still shed new light on many facets of our great " HOBBY "

My motto is it is never to late to teach an old dog a new trick or two and I have learned several "tricks" from perusing this forum.

Thanks Mr. Tom for allowing me to be a member of your forum........
December 22, 2014 05:00AM
nice try silver, but im done with this topic.
December 22, 2014 10:02PM
if you want to fill those missing spots on your wish list, then you have to hunt the sites where they are. I am from Pa as well, and I can tell you there are still many many good sites out there. I have dug hundreds of coppers and large cents, quite a few silver three cent pieces, probably 40 two cent pieces, several dozen reales, and hundreds of indian cents, quite a few bust coins and am STILL finding productive sites. I had one little site locally where I was getting 2 or 3 LC's in a hole.
Research and a whole lot of foot work are the key to success. Avoid the common areas like well known parks. they WILL produce, but they will also be hard hit. I concentrate on finding little known old sites that are often virgin, like cellar holes in the woods. Make friends with old timers and hunters that spend time in those woods and know where these sites are. its amazing how many there are. you just have to find em. Its a lot of work sometimes, but that's half the fun!
BTW.........woods sites are generally not as loamy, and a whole lot of the coins are not nearly as deep as they are in disturbed soil. Separation and recovery speed are your best assets there.