Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

reboot the notch on f75

Posted by John S 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
reboot the notch on f75
February 03, 2008 07:50PM
I noticed this a few days a go on the notch. If we will say you have the notch on 35 or 36 and try to put it back on 1 you have to reboot back to the default. I found that this is normal on the f75. Not a lot of trouble to do, just don't think it is broke. Hope this helps.
Re: reboot the notch on f75
February 03, 2008 10:08PM
Just about finished a long explaination but the machine decided to drop the whole thing. Anyway, let's try again.

Do you understand that there are five(5) CATEGORIES available to notch, i.e. iron, foil, nickel, tab, and zinc? Do you understand that there are low and high RANGES within each CATEGORY, i.e. low nickel RANGE (#26-30)?

Usually, and depending on how you have your Discrimination set, selecting NOTCH in the menu, then dialing in a number with the selector knob, then pushing the menu button selects the number in the window for notch. It also selects all the other numbers in the same RANGE as the number notched. In other words, if you notch #26, you are notching the whole low nickel RANGE (#26-30). This would put a half slash in the upper left portion of the nickel CATEGORY on the upper display.
You would then push the menu button to exit the notch menu. You should now be able to see the half slash on the upper left half of the nickel CATEGORY.

Trying to use the notch feature by looking at all the slashes while in the notch menu can be confusing. I suggest memorizing the CATEGORY and RANGE numbers so you can notch IN or OUT in your head rather than looking at all the slashes.

Here's a typical set up for me. I'll set my Discrimination at zero(0) but I want to notch (OUT) low and high iron, high nickel, low and high tab, low and high zinc. I'll select the notch menu, dial in #7 for low iron and push the menu button, dial in #15 for high iron and push the menu button, dial in #35 for high nickel and push the menu button, dial in #45 for low tab and push the menu button, dial in #55 for high tab and push the menu button, dial in #60 for low zinc and push the menu button, dial in #65 for high zinc and push the menu button, then push the menu button to exit the NOTCH menu. On the top of the display, you should see a full slash over IRON, a lower right half slash on NICKEL, a full slash over TAB and ZINC.

OK, let's say I decided I might be missing something by notching (OUT) high nickel #31-35, so I want to take that RANGE #31-35 out of notch. First I'd remember that the RANGE is #31-35. I know that selecting any number from #31-35 will remove the entire RANGE from notch. So I'd scroll down to NOTCH on the display and press the menu button putting me in the NOTCH menu. Some number will show on the screen, so I'll turn the selector knob until any( NOTE ANY) number in high nickel shows #'s 31-35. I'll push the menu button to de-notch the high nickel RANGE, then hit the menu button again to exit the Notch menu. When I look at the display it should show that the half slash on NICKEL has disappeared.

Any help? If not, let's work on it.

Ron
February 04, 2008 12:07AM
good info john and ron..
ron why is the F75 set up so you have to turn off the machine and start back up in the default mode to remove the notch settings..Its no problem I just wonder why its setup that way and want retract the settings when you go back to 1 notch and say 6 disc...thanks in advance..
February 04, 2008 02:56AM
Liquid 1:

Take a look at the last paragraph in my last post. If you have a RANGE notched out, i.e. #31-35 high nickel RANGE, and would like to remove the notch, scroll down to NOTCH on the display and push the menu button. This puts you in the Notch settings mode and a number will appear in the display. Turn the settings knob until any number in the high nickel Range is displayed. That is; any number from 31 thru 35. When any one of those five (5) numbers is in the display window, push the menu button and that will remove the notch from the high nickel RANGE (#31-35). Press the menu button again to exit the NOTCH settings menu.

Try resetting your F-75. It should reset with Disc. of 10 and nothing notched. Make sure you are not in the NOTCH settings menu and notice that both low and high iron, at the top of the display, have a slash across them as if low and high iron (1-7, 8-15) are notched out. THERE IS NO NOTCH SET. It's because your Discrimination is set at #10. That includes Disc. 1-7 which is low iron and 8-10 which is part of high iron. Although the slash covers the entire iron CATEGORY, numbers 11 thru 15 in high iron are still active.

If you set your Discrimination to #6, that means you are discriminating #1-#6 out. Just happens that #1-6 is most of the low iron NOTCH RANGE(1-7), so the half slash will appear in the upper left half of the word IRON, but #7 will still be active.. This is without any NOTCH being selected. Notice that if you set your Discrimination to #65, all the first five CATEGORIES at the top of the display will have whole slashes through words, IRON, FOIL, NICKEL, TAB and ZINC. If you set your Disc. to zero(0), all slashes will disappear.

Once we get this Discrimination/Notch relationship figured out, we can talk about situations where parts of a RANGE is Notched IN and part is Notched OUT.

Ron
February 04, 2008 12:05PM
I run my setting on disc, 20, notch 36, 3H, DE mode. I tried the notch on 35, but some nickels or on 31 so went to the 36 and work ok. But I just looks coins ( clad & silver). Where I live it way to much junk and iron to look for relics.
February 04, 2008 11:27PM
John:

My next time out I plan to hit some really trashy sites. (tabs, iron, caps, etc.) I'm going to use a modified set up from one I saw on a forum.

Disc. 0, Sens. 60 or 70, PF, Tone 1, Notch OUT; low and high iron (1-7, 8-15), high nickel (31-35), low and high tab (36-45, 46-55) and low and high zinc(56-60, 61-65). Will listen for good sounding targets and see if I can get a target lock on the display. For ratty sounding targets I will quickly switch to 4H and listen for a quality (short and abrupt) high tone on nickels and higher conductivity targets. Switching back and forth from tone 1 to 4H is quick and easy.

I'll be looking for coins and/or jewelery in these sites. For non-trashy sites I use Disc. 0, Sens as high as stable, PF, tone 2f, no notching and dig everything non-ferrous. I'm trying to learn.

Ron
February 05, 2008 11:42AM
Ron what I use in trashy spot is sen. 60 to 80, disc. 20, notch 36, tones 3H, DE mode. On the disc. below 20 is not much, in notch 38 to 45 not much there ether, tone 3H will let you have high tone on nickels, the JE mode will be more noisy then the DE mode you may get by with it. A few days a go I went to a spot that in every square foot it was from 20 to 30 targets , like iron, tabs, foil. I got a little over $13 in clad.
February 21, 2008 07:22AM
Very good post..... and very good thread. ((( Although I never use the notch feature ))).

Tom