Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Heres the MX5 Video anomaly....

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Heres the MX5 Video anomaly....
December 17, 2014 11:10PM
What i have found on the Unit is when passing over some iron like nails and such and then going over a coin the tone wont be the right tone....it wont be the iron tone but it wont be the right tone either ..even though the target I.D. is right..

I did not Know if the new one would do it or not but it does...so thats 5 units Ive tested that does it..from first one last year to this year...

I sort of think its the autotracking being on all the time....and to be honest in real world hunts I dont notice it...Sort of like the way the DEUS down averages below a nail.. in real world hunts it does not seem to matter...

also pay attention to the first test I do ...noitce how the machien hits the nickle next to the nail...VERY SLEUTHY.. the 5x10 coil wakes this thing up even more in iron.It hits better than the 5.3..glad I stuck it on there....These MX5 really can unmask on a serious serious level and the Depth is amazing they get in the Dirt.....KEVIN!!!!This is a Sleeper!!!LOL

anyways here it is..see what yall think it is.. it does it in 2 tone or 8 tone...1 tone does not do itif it did you couldnt tell anyways...but the Hz tone in 1 tone is the tone the machine goes to when the anamoly happens it so seems...

[www.youtube.com]

I should mention that also if you keep the coil close to the coins it wont do it,, if you give about 3 or 4 inch gap it does...

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2014 11:16PM by Keith Southern.
Re: Heres the MX5 Video anomaly....
December 17, 2014 11:32PM
Keith, will it come close to recognizing your buried 10inch dime? If so,........I might have to try one.
December 17, 2014 11:36PM
This is Hombre's new favorite detector as he raves about it!
December 17, 2014 11:42PM
Keith...

I have about 30 hours on mine, only used 2 bars of battery so far, I think it will go 40 or 50 hours on a set. I found out the One Tone with the first 3 iron segments notched out unmasks in the iron nails better than the Two Tone with all segments in, in other words all-metal accept. The Two Tone all-metal accept is fine for finding the worst iron, then I change to One Tone, first 3 iron segments notched out. The 5.3 Eclipse is the bomb in the iron.
December 17, 2014 11:59PM
Well the one I sent back would hear it but it called it iron...it heard all the coins but labled them iron...that was using the stock 9 spider concentric....I would think in my bad dirt it would take a maybe 10x12 SEF or a 13 ultimate to hit them with a high tone....The whites 10 DD might do well also...

but thats saying alot...its just out of the box... its been setting at the house I hated to open it but I did ..Oh well...the first one I had, had a problem with the threshold adjsutment quit working in all metal...no biggie I thought but they sent me a new one right out...cant beat that...

Whites does have an awesome service department..

I hear they are going to have another model coming more like a MXT in this package...I will look forward to trying that one also...the MXT holds a special place for me....heck of a unit..

the MX5 is quite powerful...More punch than the MXT.....works iron better too.....Also weather proof...coil connector is hard to screw on ...needs a pigtail adapter.. may make one when I get a chance.......

I have not tested this one against the coins ..Maybe I will in the morning using this 5x10 but its nto as deep of a coil as the Stock 9....so doubt it will have the punch..but who Knows...

these MX5s air test really well and punch dirt nicely...especially if its low to mid level mineral..
Keith
December 18, 2014 12:00AM
I like the 5.3 but this 5x10 seems to tighten up the targets a bit better..I bet that 4x6 would do wonders...

Sounds good hombre...

Thanks

Keith
December 18, 2014 01:33AM
Looks to me like the machine is tracking out. If you sweep the nail just one time and then the coin, it sounds correct. Then you sweep iron for longer period and then sweep coin you get the incorrect tone. That's the only logical explanation I can think of. May want to try sweeping it over a real small piece of iron for extended period and then the coin and see what happens.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2014 01:38AM by tnsharpshooter.
December 18, 2014 04:40AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What i have found on the Unit is when passing over
> some iron like nails and such and then going over
> a coin the tone wont be the right tone....it wont
> be the iron tone but it wont be the right tone
> either ..even though the target I.D. is right..
>
> I did not Know if the new one would do it or not
> but it does...so thats 5 units Ive tested that
> does it..from first one last year to this year...
>
> I sort of think its the autotracking being on all
> the time....and to be honest in real world hunts I
> dont notice it...Sort of like the way the DEUS
> down averages below a nail.. in real world hunts
> it does not seem to matter...
>
> also pay attention to the first test I do
> ...noitce how the machien hits the nickle next to
> the nail...VERY SLEUTHY.. the 5x10 coil wakes this
> thing up even more in iron.It hits better than the
> 5.3..glad I stuck it on there....These MX5 really
> can unmask on a serious serious level and the
> Depth is amazing they get in the
> Dirt.....KEVIN!!!!This is a Sleeper!!!LOL
>
> anyways here it is..see what yall think it is.. it
> does it in 2 tone or 8 tone...1 tone does not do
> itif it did you couldnt tell anyways...but the Hz
> tone in 1 tone is the tone the machine goes to
> when the anamoly happens it so seems...
>
> [www.youtube.com]
>
> I should mention that also if you keep the coil
> close to the coins it wont do it,, if you give
> about 3 or 4 inch gap it does...
>
> Keith

hi keith!
appreciate you taking the time to make this!..thankyou!
i have NOT experienced this,however, the 5.3 is mounted most of the time,as i do not have the 5x10.
if i was a betting man (lottery rollovers only,if the first one don't hit,the second one will). i would GUESS that the auto trac
is attempting to "track out" the coin!..it is automatic,as you are aware,and as such CANNOT be set to a "fixed" track like an m6 for example.
this is purely speculative,on my part,and what makes me advance this "theory"(guess) is the fact that the coin tone is 'different",as you mentioned,
which MAY indicate that the auto tracking is attempting to track the coin out of circuit,AND is only "partially" successful,as evidenced by the "different"
coin sound you are experiencing...so there!.i took a stab at it! (applause !..please!..i bow!)..(lol)

(h.h.!)
j.t.
December 18, 2014 04:50AM
Its in the tracking...Im sure...any coil you put on it does by the way...

its not a tone im now thinking its the approach to the target threshold rise... you know that sound right before the disc kicks in.....the rise of the treshold.....thats the tone its making....I think the machine is off tracked so far its not reading correctly....

The MXTs do this when you go across strong mineral... people may not notice it but for a few seconds after goign across a hot rock thats strong the MXT will not report objects as good....

the MXT will do it with tracking locked..

what's weird is the I.D. is right long before the tone works right...

Keith
December 18, 2014 04:55AM
The "anomaly" appears to be in the ground tracking.-----Too bad the MX5 doesn't have gb lock capabilities---gb lock & tracking could then be checked against each other to see what the results were.-------Funny thing is---Keith, didn't you mention in the video that the MXT did the same thing with gb locked?---------Del------------Hey Keith, I guess we were putting our posts in at the same time (5 minutes apart).----I didn't see your (above) post till I had entered mine here.-------Good explanation you gave BTW & I agree----that MUST be what's happening.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2014 05:19AM by D&P-OR.
December 18, 2014 05:00AM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> This is Hombre's new favorite detector as he raves
> about it!

harold!..understandably so,as this detector is "killer"
in the iron,and people don't really seem to know this..not yet ,that is!
i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.
December 18, 2014 05:04AM
Keith how's this thing stack up to a AT-Pro on depth and iron separation abilities with the 5x8" coil attached?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2014 05:44AM by 88junior.
December 18, 2014 05:14AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> Well the one I sent back would hear it but it
> called it iron...it heard all the coins but labled
> them iron...that was using the stock 9 spider
> concentric....I would think in my bad dirt it
> would take a maybe 10x12 SEF or a 13 ultimate to
> hit them with a high tone....The whites 10 DD
> might do well also...
>
> but thats saying alot...its just out of the box...
> its been setting at the house I hated to open it
> but I did ..Oh well...the first one I had, had a
> problem with the threshold adjsutment quit working
> in all metal...no biggie I thought but they sent
> me a new one right out...cant beat that...
>
> Whites does have an awesome service department..
>
> I hear they are going to have another model coming
> more like a MXT in this package...I will look
> forward to trying that one also...the MXT holds a
> special place for me....heck of a unit..
>
> the MX5 is quite powerful...More punch than the
> MXT.....works iron better too.....Also weather
> proof...coil connector is hard to screw on
> ...needs a pigtail adapter.. may make one when I
> get a chance.......
>
> I have not tested this one against the coins
> ..Maybe I will in the morning using this 5x10 but
> its nto as deep of a coil as the Stock 9....so
> doubt it will have the punch..but who Knows...
>
> these MX5s air test really well and punch dirt
> nicely...especially if its low to mid level
> mineral..
> Keith

my soil is low mineral,and it's a joy to use!
plenty of depth!..sweet! with the 5.3 on board!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
December 18, 2014 05:23AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> Its in the tracking...Im sure...any coil you put
> on it does by the way...
>
>
> its not a tone im now thinking its the approach to
> the target threshold rise... you know that sound
> right before the disc kicks in.....the rise of the
> treshold.....thats the tone its making....I think
> the machine is off tracked so far its not reading
> correctly....
>
> The MXTs do this when you go across strong
> mineral... people may not notice it but for a few
> seconds after goign across a hot rock thats
> strong the MXT will not report objects as
> good....
>
> the MXT will do it with tracking locked..
>
> what's weird is the I.D. is right long before the
> tone works right...
>
> Keith

hate to say it,but if (v.d.i.) is giving you a 'correct " number range,ie: (locks up) on the coin,then realistically speaking,
all bets are off,as your audio becomes irrelevant at that point because you would dig ,and find the coin anyway!
still!..doesn't make it right though,and i hear and understand your point!
December 18, 2014 12:44PM
Its too hard for me to always be watching the screen...if the tone is wrong then id feel an oddness with detector...that tone issue took many vids to get whites to understand there was an issue..along with many phone calls...the machines were throwing out different tones for same targets ..had to hunt with volume muted and watch screen lol the mx5 is an awesome detector and i do prefer it over the mxt,mxtpro or m6.. The processor is newer also and faster which may be why they removed the trac lock feature.. Ive never experienced what Keith is but my ground is mild...
December 18, 2014 02:59PM
nor have i!..what you state is certainly true,and my unit IS experiencing a "tonal" change
when pin pointing,and i should have whitey fix it while i'm down until spring.it's not something i cannot live with,and
the detector is just terrific in the junk with the small coil on it..i'm getting down around 9 inches,or so on coins,
so depth is certainly there.i heard through some source that whitey was replacing a resistor if ya send 'em in.
overall,the detector's been "outrageously" good.

(h.h.!)
j.t.
December 18, 2014 10:31PM
jmaryt Wrote:
> Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > This is Hombre's new favorite detector as he
> raves
> > about it!
>
>
> harold!..understandably so,as this detector is
> "killer"
> in the iron,and people don't really seem to know
> this..not yet ,that is!
> i'm just sayin'
>
> (h.h.!)
> j.t.
Maybe so,But it doesn't have that ''dead nuts'' analog meter and silky smooth SAT MODE like the XL-PRO!
December 19, 2014 02:27AM
eh!..he! he! he!.you are "dead nuts" right again harold!
hot damn,this is getting to be a habit!..damn fine machine that xl-pro!

(h.h.!)
j.t.