Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

has any one emailed fisher?

Posted by Nailed-it 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
has any one emailed fisher?
December 18, 2014 10:33AM
I just emailed Fisher and expressed my concern about receiving a sub par unit in the past. I mentioned my concerns about buying another Fisher. I really want to try an f75 but I just don't know? I really feel that I want a good unit and don't want to hassle to get get a unit that is working the way it should.
Re: has any one emailed fisher?
December 18, 2014 10:38AM
Its either an f75 or a deus. And a deus will be coming in the spring.
December 18, 2014 01:17PM
That was my choices as well. I picked the 75 se and really like it. I have not used it much but it blows away anything I've had in the past. It's well built and light. I picked up my Troy shadow the other day and it felt like a toy after swinging the 75 and my explorer feels like a brick. The 75 is a lot more verdantly than either of these. Now the dues I am intrigued by but I feel like I need a degree in electronics or something just to half way understand what the dues guys are talking about. I am still on the fence about the upgrade and think I'll wait a couple more months.
December 18, 2014 02:22PM
Bflo,
The deus is very easy to run. You have ground balance (very easy process), select you frequency, select your sensitivity, select your audio response (volume), select your reactivity (recovery speed), select your silencer (filter), notch, transmitter power (setting of 2 will do most of the time), select your disc, select you number of tones and set your tone breaks and assign tone.
The deus allows for all of the above to be saved in programs except ground balance. You make your program settings and save them. You go to a site, turn machine on, ground balance then start hunting. The wireless headphones are simple. So really the only additional settings the Deus has compared to F75 are silencer (filter), TX power, adjustable tone breaks with tone adjustment. I think the words/phrases like "silencer" and "reactivity" and the term "blended audio" may be what's making the Deus sound more complicated than it really is. If you ever get the chance to be around one be sure to give it a try if possible.
December 18, 2014 03:04PM
Lets face it if there were only several complaints one might consider operator error, however we have a lot of excellent detectorists on this forum and with the many negative posts looks like its the unit itself.
Hopefully they can get it right or members may certainly be using new units from another company...
December 18, 2014 03:14PM
Emailed, yes, of course. Ever gotten a response...no.
December 18, 2014 03:34PM
Tn sharpshooter
Yea think your right on the terms. I think I'd enjoy it. I loved tinkering with that old explorer. It was like a mind exercise, always something new or new way to use it. Do you use a 75 as well as the dues? If so which one do you find yourself picking up when you walk out the door. What part of tn do you live? I live in Jackson

Brian
December 18, 2014 04:22PM
When I first received my first Deus......I just could not believe that so much was in so little a control box. But there is!!! And like TNSharpshooter said, Ground Balance (along with everything he mentioned) are quite simple to learn quickly and adjust. The manual is good at explaing how to do this. You will very soon be making adjustments 'on the fly'.......it's that simple.
But I want to stress how important Ground Balance is. I took my new unit straight out of the box (some assembly required) and to my test garden. I swung the Deus over the first target......NOTHING! I was non-plussed!!!! I ALMOST went back inside to call my retailer. But then....I remembered that I had forgotten to Ground Balance! So, I went in and grabbed the manual, turned to the Ground Balance page, read the paragraph on Ground Balancing......then, Ground Balanced (pumping the coil) the machine, and proceeded to swing over all of my buried stuff. The Deus hit it all!!! Including an 11 inch silver dime. And that was in the factory preset programs!!! Even in Deus Fast!!!! (program 3). If I had never owned a Deus, I would HIGHLY recommend it.
I have had 4 Deus's (I am like....OCD or something) and they all have performed equally well. Never got a dud. When ya order a an XP Deus, you don't have to wonder and worry and hope that you get a 'good, hot one'. Just my two cent piece. Merry Christmas. kevin
December 18, 2014 04:35PM
The nice thing about the deus is that it's like when fisher started to catch on years back you got what you bought and when you learned it you found lots of relics and coins. The deus is the same you get a unit that works. And then you tweek it and it works better and you start to understand it and it gets even better. You can make adjustments on the fly and lots of room to save programs. The best part is when they do an update and they have done a few, it really make the machine even better and IT WORKS. Look for a new update coming soon. Fisher should not have released this unit till the bugs were worked out and they had a lot of time to get it right. No machine is perfect but the deus is really close. Fun machine....I call it my beep and dig machine but you get all the info and it wireless...Is fisher going to go wireless and when and if they do will it work?

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
December 18, 2014 06:45PM
Brian, I live about 70 miles ENE of Nashville the way the crow flies. And I do have a F75se. I don't use it much. May consider upgrading but I'm watching to see if the bugs get worked out. The F75 ergonomics aren't bad, just not as nice as Deus IMO. The tones and how they work together on the Deus are superior to Fisher too.
December 23, 2014 08:42AM
Thanks for the replies and your right lowboy. Fisher should have gotten it right from the beginning. I got back into detecting 2+ years ago after selling my xlt. I always wanted a cz but. Bought an xlt instead. But I always loved the look of a cz and the stories of its simplicity and ability to find deep silver. So I bought a new cz it failed and it got replaced with a new unit that only air tested at 8"
. hence my concern with buying a new Fisher with all of the returns and malfunctions between modes
December 23, 2014 03:23PM
Perhaps a reading of the Deus forum on Find Mall will enlighten.Problems there Just like everywhere.
December 23, 2014 04:16PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Brian, I live about 70 miles ENE of Nashville the
> way the crow flies. And I do have a F75se. I
> don't use it much. May consider upgrading but I'm
> watching to see if the bugs get worked out. The
> F75 ergonomics aren't bad, just not as nice as
> Deus IMO. The tones and how they work together on
> the Deus are superior to Fisher too.

One of then main reasons I prefer the T2/F75 over the DEUS is that in my opinion they have superior ergonomics. The DEUS weighs less but is nose heavy and does not swing as well as the perfectly balanced F75.

They are both excellent detectors that suit different people for different reasons. You like the tones on the DEUS better, I like the tones on the F75 better. One is not better than the other, the difference is in us and our personal preferences.

Where XP clearly beats Fisher is in their ability to upgrade the software via the Internet. This mail it in and get it done, only to have it be wrong, and mail it in again, is SOOOOO 20th century! Fisher and everyone else needs to get with the times. I understand inexpensive units being what they are, but any detector over $1000 or considered a "flagship" detector should be able to accept software updates over the Internet. That is becoming the standard in consumer electronics and if Fisher had that capability they and their customers both could have avoided a lot of grief in this situation. Clear win for XP and the DEUS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2014 06:17PM by Steve Herschbach.
December 23, 2014 04:26PM
Fisher E-Mailed me wanting to Know the Serial number of my unit so they must be looking into the differences of units..

Keith
December 23, 2014 04:31PM
And Deus can be adjusted to "exact" shaft length unlike the F75. Fisher doesn't have blending tones, Deus does. In heavy iron blending tone capabilities are superior IMO. Deus disc has smaller incremental settings, again superior. Having adjustable TX power, again superior.
December 23, 2014 04:46PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> Fisher E-Mailed me wanting to Know the Serial
> number of my unit so they must be looking into the
> differences of units..
>
> Keith

Good to know..winking smiley mine is getting replaced also. Hope mine is 75% of what yours is lol. Yours is a beast Keith.. Fisher would maybe outsell most companies if all worked as yours do..
December 23, 2014 05:00PM
If everyone had the raw power of the the unit I have in my possession I feel that Fisher would be on top of the heap...

and it should be doable...its just a program...

in disc mode the F75 while boosted to 99 sens is unreal what it sees at depth...And Im unmasking at depth extremely well with the 5x10 attached...This is where Fisher has the edge over the GMP and the DEUS it can slice through trash at depth and separate..the DEUS works in the upper layers on a World Class level yet on the deep separation First Texas has advantages..Ive seen that just in the last few weeks...low conductors deep out of iron...

It would be in Fisher's best interest to place a PROPER unit into everyones hands that wants one..Word of mouth would lead them to sell a ton...

Keith
December 23, 2014 06:15PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> And Deus can be adjusted to "exact" shaft length
> unlike the F75. Fisher doesn't have blending
> tones, Deus does. In heavy iron blending tone
> capabilities are superior IMO. Deus disc has
> smaller incremental settings, again superior.
> Having adjustable TX power, again superior.

I am not trying to prove the F75 is better for you. It clearly is not and the DEUS is no doubt the far superior detector - For You. Where you are missing the point is all people are not the same and so what is "superior" for you may not be so for me. Taking each detector in the totality of their features, functions, and performance, I prefer the F75 - for MY purposes. That is just me. Everyone else should get a DEUS. Clearly superior. Far better. God's gift to detecting.

Actually when it is all said and done I may end up preferring the Nokta. But that is another story.
December 23, 2014 11:11PM
"Everyone else should get a DEUS. Clearly superior. Far better. God's gift to detecting"

nice having you back Steve, esp with your au specimen! a breath of fresh air....

I'm hoping (for me) that the F75 situation is cleaned up by April....if so I plan on getting one with the 5x10 dd (closed) coil...as Keith alludes it sounds like a nice combo...

as to machine to machine variations I hope it can be cleared up somehow primarily in the software and that Fisher can put some 'precision' back into their coil production facility....this seems
to be critical with such a high performance machine...
December 24, 2014 02:30AM
Steve Herschbach Wrote:
> Where XP clearly beats Fisher is in their ability
> to upgrade the software via the Internet. This
> mail it in and get it done, only to have it be
> wrong, and mail it in again, is SOOOOO 20th
> century! Fisher and everyone else needs to get
> with the times. I understand inexpensive units
> being what they are, but any detector over $1000
> or considered a "flagship" detector should be able
> to accept software updates over the Internet. That
> is becoming the standard in consumer electronics
> and if Fisher had that capability they and their
> customers both could have avoided a lot of grief
> in this situation. Clear win for XP and the DEUS.

Agreed!

I emailed Juan Trivizo at Fisher (via info@frsttx.com) to ask what the update entailed. He said it is a PCB replacement and software update to upgrade the std F75 to F75LTD2 (w/DST) status.
It is only a software update to upgrade the original F75LTD/SE to F75LTD/SE2 (w/DST) status (enhanced, he called it).

My guess is the offer to refurbish the hardware was a way to encourage more participation in the upgrade service, and a way to justify a price that helps cover their costs.

Juan mentioned the calibration of the coil to the new software and I told him I had forgotten to send in my 5" coil for the upgrade, and did I need to send it in for calibration?
He replied that if the coil does not seem to operate properly with the upgraded software, then send it in (I'd clarify with Fisher if best to send whole machine or just coil) for calibration.

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
December 24, 2014 05:43AM
canslawhero Wrote:
> "Everyone else should get a DEUS. Clearly
> superior. Far better. God's gift to detecting"
>
> nice having you back Steve, esp with your au
> specimen! a breath of fresh air....
>
> I'm hoping (for me) that the F75 situation is
> cleaned up by April....if so I plan on getting one
> with the 5x10 dd (closed) coil...as Keith alludes
> it sounds like a nice combo...
>
> as to machine to machine variations I hope it can
> be cleared up somehow primarily in the software
> and that Fisher can put some 'precision' back into
> their coil production facility....this seems
> to be critical with such a high performance
> machine...

Nice to be back, thanks. I have the 5' x 10' DD on order. And what is up with that coil? It is like nobody heard of it. Only a couple dealers stocking it. Yet it should be the perfect stubble coil and perfect prospecting coil. I like solid coils.

Though now maybe I have to send it in to get calibrated? We will see. I just purchased a pre-upgrade F75 SE ver. 7.0A to compare to a production unit when I get one. Seems like I got in the wrong line there. Anyway, wanted both to compare then I can if I want send in the one I have now along with several coils for calibration update. May have to at some point if my other one never shows!
December 24, 2014 05:47AM
Which by the way this 7.0A unit I have I am immediately seeing the difference in going backwards from the prototype I had. The FA mode lit up very small low conductors that this one calls ferrous. The proto I could toggle from DE to FA and see targets switch from ferrous to non-ferrous. Definitely missing that right now as this F75 needs FA to be able to catch up with my Nokta.
December 24, 2014 05:57AM
Hi,,I wonder why a spokesman for FT never got on a forum and made some kind of a statement regarding this issue?.... I remember when Garrett first released the AT and it had problems....They got on a forum and actually describe the problem/flaw they had and the corrections they were taking to correct it....I will make a post regarding this issue and see if I can shake-em out the the bush they are hiding in..LoL..JJ
December 24, 2014 06:15AM
I have the 5x10 Steve...

heres what you will see with the 5x10...and mine is not calibrated as I know but gets great depth...

It will light up the smallest of objects even more in FA mode than you saw on your FA mode...even more than the 5 inch....

Heres a big thing I see though...put it on the machine and run the machine in BP mode cranked all the way up and the way it separates at depth is unreal...it sees a layer down about 10 + inches and separates that I have not seen any other machine do in iron...

BP by nature as we know slows things down a bit,,and for site work that slugs it up a bit but couple this coil with the BP mode and it speeds it back up enough to really do great at site work...And especially at a layer no ther I know of works at...

I will also say The coil is extremely hot in the toe....really tight and really exact and isolating,,,and the iron falses on this coil in BP mode will draw out and be elongated but a legitimate non ferrous will stay tight and round....couple it with 9+ pitch to get the most out of the audio doing this...iron will then high tone on a false as it will on any machine but using this coil and tone it will wash out high tone...a good target will be sweet and round and tight...

with this coil in iron I can find the smallest of targets by listening for that sweet sound even in B.P. mode.

I dont want to say a whole lot about the coil I was hoping others would get it and see things for themselves...If someone mentions things it sort of puts those thoughts in your head ...And you notice it more than maybe you would if it was not mentioned...

A proper runnign F75 will fpor the first time allow you to hear audible variations in targets intermingled in iron that we hjave overlooked due to noise saturation...

nothing like hunting clean tones through iron debris with unbeleivable power in your hands..

and on a parting note on the 5x10 its not as deep as the biaxial but its close and in certian mineral dirt it has more usable depth...

I still dont see a reason for a person to own a F19 if they have a good F75 just add the 5x10 and your there and more...FA mode and 1n tone is very sleuthy..

Keith
December 24, 2014 02:58PM
Clearly the new F-75 is finding a way to USEFULLY APPLY the awesome power that the platform has always had, but was often blocked by EMI. I am glad to see this since my plan for the new year is to get down to a couple of detectors. I have already whittled my "harem" down from a dozen or so to four that I plan to keep - and my F-75 is one of these. So I jave "skin in the game".

There does seem to be a problem with some units - these have clearly sub-standard depth in All Metal. As far as I can tell from the forum, FT has asked the users to return these so that they can figure out what the problem is. This is what any reputable manufacturer does under these circumstances. I bought a new Minelab SDC-2300 in November. It sounded off whenever it brushed against any green plants, just greenstuff, not wood, rocks, etc. i called ML in Chicago,and they told me that this was a known problem affecting a small number of units - they immediately asked me to return it. They shipped me a new replacement unit the day after they got mine. Please note - they did NOT pay for return shipping to them, this is totally in accordance with the terms of their warranty.

There are lots of folks on the forum wondering if they should be able to replicate the air test depths that Keith has reported. A couple of comments are in order I think.

Keith is highly experienced and seems to live in a place with relatively low EMI. If you have higher levels of EMI, your machine will react more to it and noise or "silent EMI" may limit fringe response to targets. At my house, on most days, 9.0 mode with 99 sensitivity will not run without noise in any of the 7 frequencies. This limits my depth on air testing due to noise.

Some variation in performance in air tests is ALWAYS reported when multiple units are tested, even in the same environment. Even with modern large scale integrated circuits, digital signal processing, etc., the "stack up" of component tolerances mean that no two units are absolutely identical if measured in such a way that fine differences are onservable. An air test is just such a test. The F-75 is a high performance system using an extremely sensitive transmit/recieve system which includes besides the detector unit, two sensitibe antennas (the coil). All the components are mass produced, not hand tuned. The production system has to be such that way over 99% of the units perform to specifications. It cannot guarantee that they perform identically. It is not possible.

First Texas is huge by metal detector manufacturer standards, but compared to major manufacturers - like Honeywell where I used to work - or Apple, they are tiny. Their engineering team has to cover research, product development, electronic and mechanical,design, production planning, procurement engineering support and engineering product support. I doubt seriously if there are more than 10 or so enginners to do,all this. Oh yes, it's also the Holiday season. I expect that this week and next, FT - like every other manufacturing company Imhave ever dealt with in 30+ years as a buyer and subcontracts administrator - will either shut down entirely or be operating with minimum manning as folks take time off to spend time with family and friends.

As far as folks demanding stuff from FT or any other manufacturer, I pay a lot more attention to folks who have "skin in the game" than those who don't. If you own an F-75 or if you regularly post useful stuff based on your use of detectors, then I for one, read your stuff carefully. Of course, this is an open forum. We are all free to share our wit and wisdom about anything. Folks who have no intention of buying a product are free to tell those who work to build that product how to do their jobs.

Maybe in the Christmas spirit, some of us could hum a carol or two while typing our latest complaint.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
I think to oddig of getting a good unit far outweigh getting a defective one.
December 24, 2014 04:18PM
Nailed-it Wrote:
> I just emailed Fisher and expressed my concern
> about receiving a sub par unit in the past. I
> mentioned my concerns about buying another Fisher.
> I really want to try an f75 but I just don't
> know? I really feel that I want a good unit and
> don't want to hassle to get get a unit that is
> working the way it should.

If you want to make the plunge, go for it. Perhaps I have been lucky, but my luck with them has been very good.
If you get one though....give it a fair shake. I remember when the 75's first came out, and guys were either loving them or hating them. A lot of those haters later gave the machine a second chance and changed their collective tunes. The vast majority of the new machines are just fine............ take the leap. You just might love it.
One other thing that comes to mind is this. Do not compare you machine to what others say THEIR machine is doing on the internet. There are so many variables one cannot have enough accurate data to make an honest comparison. Some do air-tests indoors, or otherwise close to EMI sources. Some simply don't really have a grasp on the machine yet. Some have genuine issues, but its hard to sort em out without actually having THAT machine in your hands in YOUR dirt.
Buy it and make your own evaluations under your conditions. It the only way you'll every know............
December 24, 2014 06:26PM
Well i took the f75 se2 plunge...its on the way. i think i got a good deal as well. the unit, 11 inch, 5 inch and 13 inch ultamite for 1099
December 24, 2014 07:20PM
Thats what i think everyone is paying for them ..
December 24, 2014 07:29PM
Sweet deal Beyonder. Like to get a 13" Ultimate myself but have to wait until March or so. Seeing post that there doesn't seem to be any NEL Tornado's around.
Re: I think to oddig of getting a good unit far outweigh getting a defective one.
December 24, 2014 08:21PM
Streak! Wrote:

> If you get one though....give it a fair shake. I
> remember when the 75's first came out, and guys
> were either loving them or hating them. A lot of
> those haters later gave the machine a second
> chance and changed their collective tunes. The
> vast majority of the new machines are just
> fine............ take the leap. You just might
> love it.

Yup, that was me. I was so hyped up waiting on the First Fisher product from Dave Johnson since he did the MXT at White's I could hardly stand it! I figured "Super MXT!" which in a way is just what the F75 is. The problem is I took it to the park and got into EMT hell. It was a huge letdown and I sold it to a friend. Was not until that friend raved about that machine I hated plus other friends got the F75 that I revisited it but this time used it in rural areas, and learned I really liked it after all. Never did do me good in urban areas though, and nice to see it now changing for the better. It will all sort out eventually.