Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Ran across these Videos Of Jamestown Archaeology Digs but this one blows me away..

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Ran across these Videos Of Jamestown Archaeology Digs but this one blows me away..
December 20, 2014 02:27AM
Its a sundial being excavated but the best part is towards the end..

Truly amazing

[www.youtube.com]

check out all the videos on their channel you wont be dissapointed...

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2014 02:27AM by Keith Southern.
Re: Ran across these Videos Of Jamestown Archaeology Digs but this one blows me away..
December 20, 2014 04:26AM
Interesting idea that the pathology that destroyed Jamestown was sabotage by a couple of Catholic infiltrators that used arsenic to poison the English's water and/or food supply kill off the settlers so as to keep the New World under the control of Spain and Catholic interests in England. Seems all the evidence seems to point in that direction. Strange the settlers didn't diagnose their ailments as arsenic toxicity - it was a common poisoning agent back then.
Re: Ran across these Videos Of Jamestown Archaeology Digs but this one blows me away..
December 20, 2014 12:44PM
That sundial is something else, I couldn't stop staring at it...what a beautiful artifact.
December 20, 2014 01:13PM
Look at the 'depth' ........ for this 17th Century find.
Pretty cool

I like how he reverse engineered the piece to find where it was designed for time telling!
Beautiful piece, and open for the public to view the dig. Very cool!
December 20, 2014 07:51PM
Cool.
December 20, 2014 08:18PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Look at the 'depth' ........ for this 17th Century
> find.

That's depressing...
December 20, 2014 11:02PM
Didn't the lady mention cellar? So maybe that's why it was so deep.
December 21, 2014 07:02AM
Yes Tom Very deep it so seems...

Beautiful object and precsion engineered for the time...

PRICELESS>>>

Quick story...

Theres a Civil War battle site park close to hear the State owns now....but it used to be private property and was hunted extensively for years and years....

there was a House site on the Property and the Archaeologist decided to let the local College do a class summer Dig on the House....

now this is all word of mouth and I've yet to see a published paper...but i heard the top layer held very few artifacts besides Iron nails and such....But at quite a substantial depth a Jar of coins came up that pre dated the Civil War....

Now the is all word of mouth and from a person I know who's Child was on the Dig.....And I found it interesting in that he told me the surface did not hold alot...but the deeper they got the more goodies come out...

And in parting if I may Boast for just a minute...

I attended Jamestown in the fall of 1994...and saw the Archaeological dig taking place and it was amazing to stand and watch them find objects....

I have a special place in my heart for Jamestown....Here comes the boasting........My direct Grandfather .was a member of the House of Burgess at Jamestown in 1620.[en.wikipedia.org] came over To America In 1619 ..He was quite well to do it so seems...( Not sure what happened to us LOL ) and I might add His 3rd Great grandfather ((and my,,, Well I lost count of the number back)) was a Knight for King Henry the 8th..Sir Knight William Southern...He was Knighted on King Henrys wedding day to Anne Boleyn...

Ok enough of that.LOL!!.

.But I've alwasy been proud to say my family has been on U.S Soil since 1619...and Was in Colonial wars...American revolution,,Civil War,,WW1/WW2 etc....Living in Tidewater Virginia For 170 Years before moving into South Carolina then into Northern Ga...

Isnt History Awesome!!

Keith
December 21, 2014 09:29AM
The lady did mention it was a cellar... so we'll assume it was.
Cellars as we know, had dirt floors back then.

I saw layers of different materials in the side walls of the dig. Some look like cinders or coke, can't really tell from the picture. The side walls of the dig aren't necessarily the side walls of the old cellar. The dig could have infringed on the lot next door.....unless they found foundation stones in place.

I saw brick pieces next to the sundial at the same elevation it was revealed.

I don't believe it ended up that deep naturally.....as in 'sink rate'.

Questions to be pondered as to why the sundial was at that depth.

1- Was the cellar filled in at one point in time?... Yes.
2- Was the house razed with much of the rubble falling into the cellar?.... Back then they salvaged much of the building material.....so only unwanted rubble may have dropped to the cellar.
3- Was the perimeter dirt used to fill in the cellar hole? Lowering original finish grade elevation....
4- Was the fill from a different area? Different town? County?....
5- Was the original finish grade 'cut' at a later date?....On record from townships drawings/permits?
6- Was the sundials resting place on the surface and the area filled at a later date?

Many possibilities as to 'why' the sundial was resting at that elevation at that particular spot.

Curiosity killed the cat....satisfaction brought him back.
December 22, 2014 12:30AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes Tom Very deep it so seems...
>
> Beautiful object and precsion engineered for the
> time...
>
> PRICELESS>>>
>
> Quick story...
>
> Theres a Civil War battle site park close to hear
> the State owns now....but it used to be private
> property and was hunted extensively for years and
> years....
>
> there was a House site on the Property and the
> Archaeologist decided to let the local College do
> a class summer Dig on the House....
>
> now this is all word of mouth and I've yet to see
> a published paper...but i heard the top layer held
> very few artifacts besides Iron nails and
> such....But at quite a substantial depth a Jar of
> coins came up that pre dated the Civil War....
>
> Now the is all word of mouth and from a person I
> know who's Child was on the Dig.....And I found it
> interesting in that he told me the surface did not
> hold alot...but the deeper they got the more
> goodies come out...
>
> And in parting if I may Boast for just a
> minute...
>
> I attended Jamestown in the fall of 1994...and saw
> the Archaeological dig taking place and it was
> amazing to stand and watch them find objects....
>
> I have a special place in my heart for
> Jamestown....Here comes the boasting........My
> direct Grandfather .was a member of the House of
> Burgess at Jamestown in
> 1620.[en.wikipedia.org]
> of_the_Virginia_House_of_Burgesses.He came over To
> America In 1619 ..He was quite well to do it so
> seems...( Not sure what happened to us LOL ) and
> I might add His 3rd Great grandfather ((and my,,,
> Well I lost count of the number back)) was a
> Knight for King Henry the 8th..Sir Knight William
> Southern...He was Knighted on King Henrys wedding
> day to Anne Boleyn...
>
> Ok enough of that.LOL!!.
>
>
> .But I've alwasy been proud to say my family has
> been on U.S Soil since 1619...and Was in Colonial
> wars...American revolution,,Civil War,,WW1/WW2
> etc....Living in Tidewater Virginia For 170 Years
> before moving into South Carolina then into
> Northern Ga...
>
> Isnt History Awesome!!
>
> Keith

sure is keith! my relatives came over with the mayflower,and fought
at breed's hill,among other places..one was involved in that "turkey" shoot
on april 1775 when the minutemen picked off the brits heading back to boston from concord
that day!..fascinating s**t!..i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.
December 23, 2014 03:05AM
Sounds Great J.T.

Nothing like having a sense of Family Pride and American Pride!

My life dream is to find my 5th great Grandfathers home site In South Carolina and then dig a rev war button out of the House site or at least a Rev war Item....He fought In Savannah,,,Charleston,,St.Marys,,and was captured twice by the Britsh...He was Gipson Southern...after the Rev. war he recieved a Land Grant in South Carolina..and lived there till His death in 1834...

the house site is way back in the woods justt need to locate the exact fork of the creek its own...Ive narrowed it down quite alot...need to get permission one day to get on the land...

Keith
December 23, 2014 06:21AM
fascinating keith! ..really!
a true patriot! my lineage goes back to william the conqueror
in 1066 at the battle of hastings..king norman granted my relative
land in england for fighting with him at that famous battle..my brother,and me are 32,and 33rd
direct descendants to william of normandy!..my name was spelled "tailer" not taylor as it is today.

(h.h.!)
j.t.