Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Testing my CZ3d - Results and a Question

Posted by saginawian 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Testing my CZ3d - Results and a Question
February 17, 2008 05:36PM
Using Tom's "quick test" for proper calibration from this forum on my Los Banos 3d, this is what I got:

In enhanced mode air test,

clad dime 11.25" w/ proper ID + good sound - Pass

zinc penny id at high coin - Pass

Shield nickel id high tone nickel id - Fail ( reads mid tone round tab )

all nickels, dug v's, dug war, dug buff, dug sheild, and new nickels read mid tone round tab . . .

in salt mode all nickels read high tone nickel.

According to everything I've read here - if calibrated properly shouldn't it read the old nickels as high tone nickel?

Ian
Re: Testing my CZ3d - Results and a Question
February 18, 2008 03:34AM
Ian,

When an old nickel is in the ground with the halo, it may read nickel/high tone on the 3D. I have found that even on well-tuned 3D's, the "proper" nickel reading drops to foil or round tab in enhanced with airtesting after about 6 + inches or more. If I want to dig these lovely red or black corroded disks, I would check a round pulltab reading with both salt and enhanced anyway to be more sure. Well-tuned 3D's are very accurate. I can honestly say that I can go to an old site and almost always know what I'm going to dig-at least metal composition wise. A round pull tab stays pull tab in either salt or enhanced...bottle caps as well. I find it much easier to hunt with the 3D than my CZ-70's when looking mainly for old coins. I know you still have a good machine...just try it in the field. I seem to be able to pull more good targets/coins in iron with the 3D versus the CZ-70. Tom surely would be able to elaborate more. JMHO

Chris

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2008 03:36AM by christopher-ohio.
February 18, 2008 09:59PM
Thanks Chris, That's what I was hoping to hear. Although I used dug coins for my test with some corrosion, there were cleaned up and no dirt remained - so that could be a reason as well. I am very impressed with the CZ3d so far just tinkering around in the house. 6" of snow here now. The depth in an airtest is super - better than expected. The 10.5" coil did 13+ inches on a clad dime! The 5" coil - 8.5"! I'm super excited to get out there and try it on a couple of old spots that I KNOW contain more deep coins. I just want to be sure that this thing is tuned up right so that I can get every bit of use out of this enhanced mode. I'll surely post my big finds soon!!

Ian
February 21, 2008 08:04AM
Ian,

Your "Salt" nickel and "Enhanced" nickel calib. set-points are reversed,,,, and needs correcting. Yes, on the 3D...... it is designed moreso for 3-D dirt matrix ID accuracy vs. air-tests; however, your unit is slightly off. Yes, I can correct it. What does a handful of new nickels register as.... on your 3D? Both in 'enhanced' and in 'salt' mode?

Tom
Kas
February 29, 2008 08:37PM
Ian, My test showed a high tone on corroded Buff and V nickle.

On another note, and one of great interest to Ian. I did a ground test today with my new CZ-3D. Temps are more mild and I thought if I couldn't dig I'd at least swing and get used to the tones. I like the tones on this machine better than any I've had the chance to use over the years. The high coin tone is not a beep, but more like a ping.... to me. Short and crisp on the one target I dug. Yes Ian, I said dug.

The ground was as soft as butter and the shovel opened up a hole very easily. This is my yard with grass. Ground balanced the unit to 5.5, (as far as ground mineralization I don't now what this would equate to) using the pump method.I could check the ground with my other machine, but as long as it ground balances, off you go anyway.Set the sens to 4.75, and vol to 4.75. A few swings and I hear a deep repeatable signal that's very weak, but solid and consistant. The meter said 8", I didn't look at the ID, it was a high tone and deep and that's all I care about. Dug it. Out comes a button,the size of a half dime, metal of course no marking but brass in composition. Now, nothing spectacular about that find as far as value, but the depth and signal on a small item like this at 8" is awesome. This machine is really user friendly.Easy to pick up and go new or seasoned at the hobby.

And where did they ever get the idea this unit was heavy? My DFX is quite a bit more heavy. I've used many a complicated machine,and the CZ reminds me of how much fun it can be to just hunt and find the good repeatable signals, and dig, and move on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2008 08:42PM by Kas.
March 01, 2008 04:33AM
KEN - did you say DIG??? Uhh Ohh, it's on. The great CZ3d hunt. Looks like I better have my detector adjusted a bit - I know yours is working properly. I'll wait until after the big hunt to get it tuned.

Ian
March 02, 2008 11:00PM
Tom my 3D hit all nickels as round tab that's why i got rid of it.Can a 3D be adjusted to hit nickels as high tones?
March 03, 2008 02:12AM
Yes. There are 2 ways it can be adjusted/calibrated:

#1 = The first way is to have all new nickels register as a high tone.... with several of the older generation(s) nickels to still register as a mid-tone (trash tone). ((( This is the old generation/standard CZ config ))).

#2 = The second way is to have the older generation nickels register as a high tone .... with approx 20% - 35% of the newer nickels to NOT register properly. ((( This is a CZ-3D norm ))). ..... and this is the 'prefered' method, as most folks are not as concerned about modern clad coins.

Tom