Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

F75 LTD...Might want to wait

Posted by ddmk6 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
If I know Mike (and I do very well), thats probably true
January 17, 2015 07:03PM
Mike is a VERY good hunter, and unlike a lot of us literally digs everything. He has amassed a super nice collection of copper culture stuff, and that's not mentioning a slew of things he had dug in his quite long detecting career. (the man has been EVERYWHERE) You might find a claim like that funny, but don't base everyone else on YOUR detecting returns. I personally might not have dug a million dollars worth of goodies, but its well up into the hundreds of thousands. As you might imagine, not everyone posts everything they find, and for very good reasons. I just thought your post was a tiny bit disrespectful.
FYI, Mike was kinda portrayed in the show as an idiot. I'm sincerely glad its no longer on.

Hombre Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is the same Mike Scott that starred on the
> Travel Channel TV show "Dig Wars".
>
> He claimed to have found over a million dollars
> worth of relics TOO...LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2015 07:04PM by Streak!.
Re: F75 LTD...Might want to wait
January 17, 2015 07:15PM
Dig Wars--nuff said.
Re: If I know Mike (and I do very well), thats probably true
January 17, 2015 07:18PM
I agree STREAK!

That show was a let down, It portrayed the hobby as being full of money grubbing guys pillaging history.

My apologies to Mike Scott and the Forum.
January 17, 2015 07:23PM
"but being involved in sales,marketing,and business development I don't get much of a chance". If these 3 areas doesn't get one involved in Quality Control please tell which area must one be in to become involved with Quality Control??
January 17, 2015 07:39PM
Hombre Wrote:
> This is the same Mike Scott that starred on the
> Travel Channel TV show "Dig Wars".
>
> He claimed to have found over a million dollars
> worth of relics TOO...LOL

Hombre,

I don’t mind as much when someone insults and criticizes the company I work for but I take exception when they question my integrity and honesty.

Just because you haven’t been as successful as other treasure hunters doesn’t make their successes laughable………

I don’t normally like to toot my own horn and won’t get into the whole explanation as to why that quote happened. I can however stand behind it and even say I along with others involved could say the feat was accomplished in a single year in my home state of WI with 2 large caches.

Those that know me know about the Milwaukee Milk Can Cache, the Beer Baron Cache and some of my other significant finds. I have dug in over 30 countries, found multiple caches around the world and just found gold on my sixth continent and am still digging hard every chance I have.

Dig Deep!

Mike
January 17, 2015 07:44PM
Mike

I apologized once in the above post and I'll say it again, I apologize, I am truly sorry I said that, It was meant as a joke, just not funny I guess.
January 17, 2015 07:45PM
doc holiday Wrote:
> "but being involved in sales,marketing,and
> business development I don't get much of a
> chance". If these 3 areas doesn't get one involved
> in Quality Control please tell which area must one
> be in to become involved with Quality Control??
Doc,
I don't want to get roped in here in an online debate as I had said. I will not explain to you the dynamics of our company, my duties or the duties of others in our organization.
I left my email and phone number. If you have questions that serve a purpose that you need answered I will be happy to do so.

thanks,

Mike
January 17, 2015 07:47PM
Hombre,

No worries, I did not not see your first apology.

Cheers!

Mike
January 17, 2015 08:09PM
Hey Mike, just wanted to say Howdy! Thanks for all you guys do at Fisher. You be careful over there in Africa!
January 17, 2015 08:44PM
Mike
Thanks for your post. I am expecting mine back Wednesday. I think it's pretty cool what fisher did as far as the updates. It is not something that fisher had to do and probably never will again( my speculation). Because Of all the wining and crying. This is a really good site with some really knowledgeable people but obviously some don't when they are funny and not funny. I was really loving this site till a couple weeks ago till a similar situation came up where a guy insulted one of the more knowledgeable people on the site basically made him mad enough to leave it. Reminds me a lot of when I tournament fished, people take stuff way to serious and in the end it wears on all. Once again I would like to give kudos for what FT has done. This was my first fisher, I've owned several other brands and so far I've been really pleased.
January 17, 2015 08:47PM
was curious about Mike's Caches and found this: now that's a lot of silver:

"Found 4 Big Milk Cans of Silver Coins

Scott Warner of Warner Distributing and Wayne Otto & Mike Scott of Outdoor Outfitters were involved in a treasure hunt in the real sense of the word. With the assistance of several Fisher metal detectors and the assistance of a back hoe, they were able to find and retrieve 4 big milk cans full of silver coins.

The cache was buried in Milwaukee, WI by a gentleman who hoarded silver, in the early 60s. The family quoted him as saying, “No one will ever dig THIS out with a shovel”. Recently diagnosed with dementia, the man had no recollection of the burial site. When all other attempts to find the stash failed, the man‘s daughters called the experts, Using 3 different Fisher metal detectors to verify weak signals vs. trash, the estimated 1,000 pounds of silver coins were located on the first fig at a depth of 5 feet."
January 17, 2015 09:27PM
I wonder if the 11-14 machines having the issues, are mainly brand new units, or ones that were upgraded? FT is saying "old units" which I'd read to be original LTD models or such.

I bought my F75 LTD camo unit back in 2009. Back around 2012 it started having some issues with lack of depth. I contacted FT and they had me send it in. They sent it back and said it tested fine, but they replaced the coil just because. I tested it, and it was still having issues. I contacted Dave Johnson, who used to be a somewhat regular poster on Findmall, and he said the machine was broken, send it in, and tell the repair dept. that he said to replace the motherboard. They sent it back with the replaced motherboard and yet another new coil. This time it performed very well. Interestingly it was also very quite and handled EMI far better then the original LTD unit ever did.

Fast forward to 2014, I sent my machine to FT at the end of November for the DST upgrade, and they sent it back at the beginning of December. It now an 11-14 unit, but seems to be working fine. Later today some friends and we'll be hunting a late 1700's site. I plan to test the 2L 2-tone mode, so I'll see if I have the mama pinpoint bug.

I don't really use all metal mode, so I need to test that. I see several here have posted their all metal airtest results, so I'll have to compare notes to validate if that's working as it should.
January 17, 2015 10:00PM
I will preface the following statement by saying that none of my Fisher detectors (CZ20, F2, CZ3D, F75SE) have ever let me down in the regards to improper operation or poor quality.

That being said, the past two product launches/updates by Fisher have been atrocious at best. I honestly went from eagerly anticipating the arrival of the LTD2, to just a passing interest. Which is sad, as I have always thought of this company as quality. There will always be bugs to work out with production units, it's the bane of mass production. But you folks definitely have some QC issues occurring. Hopefully third time's a charm, eh?
January 17, 2015 10:07PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> I wonder if the 11-14 machines having the issues,
> are mainly brand new units, or ones that were
> upgraded? FT is saying "old units" which I'd read
> to be original LTD models or such.
>

I checked with the Fisher Distributor up here in Canada and they recently got some of the new F75LTD2 units in stock. Unfortunately they're all 11-14, November manufactured units. I won't be buying one of those since I can't risk having a problem and having to send it back to Texas. shipping costs and import/export hassles would be too much to (possibly) have to deal with. I can't risk it. Sad state of affairs. I'll have to wait till these are sold and they get some new ones in with 2015 mfg dates....I was really hoping they would have been December manufactured units....
January 18, 2015 02:38AM
Cal_cobra Wrote:

>
> Fast forward to 2014, I sent my machine to FT at
> the end of November for the DST upgrade, and they
> sent it back at the beginning of December. It now
> an 11-14 unit, but seems to be working fine.
> Later today some friends and we'll be hunting a
> late 1700's site. I plan to test the 2L 2-tone
> mode, so I'll see if I have the mama pinpoint bug.
>
>
> I don't really use all metal mode, so I need to
> test that. I see several here have posted their
> all metal airtest results, so I'll have to compare
> notes to validate if that's working as it should.

I really hope it all checks out. Hopefully when they upgraded your unit they replaced the components that are not compatible with the new software. Maybe yours was actually tested after the upgrade, and everything is perfect. Just a guess here but maybe the production units that were upgraded simply were not tested before being shipped out??? Sure hope Fisher gets everything straightened out soon.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Kenny
January 18, 2015 03:24AM
First of all, I don't know who the paying sponsors are for this site. Second, this FT problem is not a brand new problem. It's been going on since the start of the upgrade. People here voiced their concerns right from the start after they started receiving their machines back. No FT representative ever responded here that I can remember until now.
The explanation for the upgrade problem doesn't wash with me based on what I've read others stating. So it seems feathers are ruffled now. Good IMO. Maybe this post will ruffle them a little more. I have bought a F75se, still have it. I'm a paying customer the way I see it. My opinion should count, just as other purchasers should too. Last, what about the stocked units version 2 11-14?? It seems dealers also haven't been kept abreast of the possible problems.
And I'm still waiting to hear who has one (11-14) that performs up to par both in Disc and AM?
January 18, 2015 03:27AM
I was just glad to see a message from some of the higher ups at FT. There are, IMO, two big areas that need addressing.

1. Quality Control. Much has been said on this in previous threads and in this one. But this certainly needs looking at and counter measures put in place to correct it. Things need tested before being, during, and after being mass produced. You don't test 5 units and if one of them passes and 4 fail, assume that the whole batch is good because one passed (just a crazy example...hopefully not real world). The end customers should not be the ones field testing these units and then reporting back with flaws/bugs.

2. Communication. If the whole thing would have been addressed much sooner, then a lot of the speculation and GOSSIP if you will, would have been nipped before it could start. Unfortunately, nothing was officially said until a good 2 months had passed after these things initially began popping up and being posted about. And even then, there was a denial of there ever being a problem. As soon as these units started rolling back in, somebody should have posted something and let everybody know what was going on and what had been done to correct it. Then you wouldn't have had 2 months of "he said, she said, I think.." etc and a bunch of mixed stories.

When you have several people with the same problem with their detectors, calling the factory and each one gets told something different...there is a big communication problem happening.

Just my 2 cents.
January 18, 2015 03:52AM
Hi,,,,hey Mike I got a few questions to ask you.... #1 Are these new upgrades and machines being built in First Texas's new plant located in Mexico?....#2 How much faith do you really have in the quality of the latest F-75's rather it be an upgrade or new?....#3 Would you grab one that is ready to be shipped out and fly to Africa without testing it first?...#4.In closing how would you like to get to your detecting spot in Africa and turn on your untested F-75 and have it perform sub-par?....I'm willing to bet your faith in the quality control right now is not that strong and you would test the one you are going to use there beforehand ....This also applies to whatever FT machine you would normally use there....I'm not trying to stir pot again I'm just trying to get some answers....JJ
January 18, 2015 07:50AM
QC "Quality Control" and the customer care you get when walking into a metal detector dealership is in one word "SAD"!

You walk into a dealership, ask a few questions, get a box full of stuff, part with your cash 1000€/$/£ and walk out.
Easiest sell I've ever seen!!!

As a Stihl Powertool dealer.
They walk into the dealership, ask a few questions, we hand them several machines, usually we have several they can test-run.
They decide which one they want, we open up a box, fire it up, make sure everything is working OK, give 15 minutes of advice about running and cleaning the machine.
Fill in the warranty slip/register online,
They part with their cash 250-1250€/$/£.

The last few 3000€/£/$ detectors I bought, I had to charge the batteries first, buy some batteries, assemble the machine myself.
And then take it for a test-run in the back garden.

These detector companies/dealers are just selling us boxes!!!
SAD,... but true.

As a powertool dealer we get sub-par units,... but because they get assembled at authorized dealerships, by people who receive training "real world/online".
They don't make it out the door to the customer!!
Nope, they get packed up again, sent to the distributor, sent to the manufacturer, and then the problems are located/solved.

They guy who sells the unit, performs the end user QC.

The customer get's a working unit if they spend small or big,... that's how your brand yourself number 1,... you earn it every working day!!!!

HH
Johnb
January 18, 2015 08:23AM
go-rebels Wrote:
> You cannot rely on a serial number range, rather
> you have to rely on performance, as affected units
> will have a noticeable loss in performance.
>
> Isn't that Fisher's job?
>
> Where is quality control?
>
> Send them all out and let the customer test them?
>
> Some people that don't read forums and don't have
> information to compare their unit to will never
> know they have a sub-par unit.
>
> Glad I am not a customer.
>
> I still don't understand why FT doesn't follow a
> formal quality system like other manufacturers.
> High quality is not a goal in itself, but rather
> one target to achieve profitability. And that's
> the primary reason for any company to exist.
>
> The soon to be released version of ISO9001-2015
> mandates that customer complaints be summarized
> and communicated to upper management for periodic
> review. Internal audits are mandatory (who best
> to follow-up?) and corrective actions need to be
> verified.
>
> This is not a FT quality problem; this is a FT
> management problem at the highest level.

one doesn't require a degree in economics to understand
that quality is "first and foremost" in ANY marketing endeavor!
allowing poor quality performance detectors out of the barn is the path
to financial ruin,and a very long "soup and "bread" line!..i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

(h.h.!)
j.t.
January 18, 2015 10:12AM
Scoop - If you ever get a chance to go to North GA Relics and see Don, the way you describe your power tools dealership is how Don is as well. You can come in, test different machines on his bench for as long as you like. If you buy one, he will go get one new in the box, open it up to show you how everything goes and either he or you will test it out to make sure everything is right before you leave the shop. When I buy new, it's from Don. I would have got my new F75 from him but he did not have any in stock when I was ready to buy. Would have saved me a lot of trouble if I would have just waited and not jumped the gun.

I did get a return call from Fisher on Friday. But it was late in the day and I work 70+ hrs a week, 7 days a week and was in bed when they called. I will try to catch them Monday. This F75 has been a problem from the get go. It got lost for several days when it was shipped to me the first time. It sat idle, without tracking updates or anything. I shipped it off after New Years. Been gone ever since. If it comes back fixed and is super...I might keep it and I might not. My niches seem filled with the MXT Pro and Minelab GP. And working 7 days a week doesn't leave any playing in dirt time.
January 18, 2015 01:06PM
Scoop, that's exactly how they do it at my local Stihl dealers. They not only test the Stihl's, they also test other brand equipment they sell. When a bigger piece is delivered, the driver goes through the operating procedure, will check oil if needed, start the machine, then ask if you have any questions or concerns....the driver is in no rush either.
January 18, 2015 01:35PM
When you get the same service worldwide,... it says something for the parent company.
I'm located in Belgium and we service warranties for people who buy their Stihl from elsewhere in the country, even from out of the country.

It's become second nature to me,... yet every year Stihl provides training days for young guns in the service department.

Now back to the Fisher part of life,... the holidays are well and truly behind us,... we've seen some communication,...
But everyone has got this nagging thought in the backside of their brain.
Will they ship us a proper working F75 :-)

Glad at least Keith has taking a liking towards the F19. I like it, but who am I,... just another metal detecting fruitcake LOL

HH
Johnb
January 18, 2015 01:52PM
scoopjohnb -- That's interesting you say you are from Belgium. I just finished watching a World War 2 series that centered around the city of Bastogne. Not sure how far from there you are, but I was wondering if you ever found any WW2 items while you were detecting. I have been studying up on our 101st Airborne division, particularly the Easy Company, that was in Bastogne the week of Christmas 1944. They nearly froze to death because they were unequipped for the weather and had to be dug in. The Germans had their positions dialed in with mortars and artillery, and really gave them a good pounding.

Huh...truly is a small world.
January 18, 2015 05:12PM
scoopjohnb Wrote:

> Now back to the Fisher part of life,... the
> holidays are well and truly behind us,... we've
> seen some communication,...

I'd like to see a formal company statement (like, on their own website) of 'permanent' changes that relate to QA/QC of their entire 'house'....solid directions to improvement...
personally, I wouldn't want an '11-14' unit since in the future when it's time to sell because of the new Fxx killer unit released, buyers WILL want to know the manufacture date....
and the '11-14' fiasco will forever brand it as a 'less desirable' unit....kind of the opposite to a Tom D certified unit....

> But everyone has got this nagging thought in the
> backside of their brain.
> Will they ship us a proper working F75 :-)
>
> Glad at least Keith has taking a liking towards
> the F19. I like it, but who am I,... just another

more than 'at least', see 'woodchiphustler' (George's) posts on the 'F' forum on Finds....he's a hard sell and is doing really well with his...

> metal detecting fruitcake LOL

yes, I'll join the club....
January 18, 2015 05:32PM
Hi,,,,Personally I think I have said all I'm going to say on this beat to death topic..(let off steam)..I think they are totally aware of their faults and problems they have had and will take the proper steps to correct them....Hopefully in the future we will all have are faith restored and once again start enjoying some of their most innovated products of the past and future...I for one will probably be making a purchase just soon as the green light turns on....And Mike you Millionaire I have a birthday coming up so send me a new upgraded F-75..LoL.....HIH....JJ
January 18, 2015 07:00PM
I had no idea about sponsorship on this site. I have always tried to remain respectful to the posters on this forum. I have called out companies that I felt needed it. Garrett for the AT Pro release. Garrett again for the Pro Pointer falsing issues. Minelab for their taunting CTX BS release. I am a customer. I spend my hard earned cash on a product. In turn I expect that product to work. If not I want the company to go out of their way to make it right. I have no horse in this race. I have not owned a F75 for about five years. But the years of rolling over and pretending everything is fine when it isn't have passed. We in the hobby put up with that during the magazine years. Magazines that were controlled by the manufacturer dollars. The old saying still holds true. "I never read a bad review in a detector magazine." If this forum turns into a bunch of head nodding to the all mighty buck then I am out of here. If customer complaints are too much honesty then this forum and a certain detector manufacturer are in big trouble. Respect? Sure, every time. Roll over? Nope. Done doing that with my money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2015 07:02PM by goodmore.
January 18, 2015 07:13PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> scoopjohnb -- That's interesting you say you are
> from Belgium. I just finished watching a World
> War 2 series that centered around the city of
> Bastogne. Not sure how far from there you are,
> but I was wondering if you ever found any WW2
> items while you were detecting. I have been
> studying up on our 101st Airborne division,
> particularly the Easy Company, that was in
> Bastogne the week of Christmas 1944. They nearly
> froze to death because they were unequipped for
> the weather and had to be dug in. The Germans had
> their positions dialed in with mortars and
> artillery, and really gave them a good pounding.
>
> Huh...truly is a small world.

General MacAuliffe simply replied to the German ultimatum of surrender :"NUTS"
And then ALL HELL broke loose.

Bastogne is about 250 km from me and about 50 km from the German border.
We go hunting on the outskirts of the Battle of the Bulge, and I can tell you it can get pretty cold, pretty quick.
When I ride the quad through the woods , you can still make out some of the foxholes.

The whole area around Bastogne is out of bounds for metal detectors. They will confiscate your detector, your car and slap a hefty fine to ease the weight of your wallet.
Same with Omeha beach,... let the dead Rest In Peace!!

We do get finds from that era, mostly bullet casings and such. I tend to leave large signals well enough alone. Could be a helmet, could be a WWI bomb, could be a live WWII grenade, could be a WWI shrapnel grenade detonator, etc., etc.
When I can muster up the courage to give it a dig,... I go about it very carefully!!

After a few WWI bombs the novelty factor wears off.

Now and again dog-tags are found, the detecting community always tries it utmost best to reunite them with the decendents of the fallen.

HH
Johnb
January 18, 2015 07:29PM
goodmore Wrote:
> I had no idea about sponsorship on this site.

I believe the reference to sponsors was in regards to Find Mall.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2015 07:30PM by Crosby.
January 18, 2015 07:38PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> scoopjohnb -- That's interesting you say you are
> from Belgium. I just finished watching a World
> War 2 series that centered around the city of
> Bastogne. Not sure how far from there you are,
> but I was wondering if you ever found any WW2
> items while you were detecting. I have been
> studying up on our 101st Airborne division,
> particularly the Easy Company, that was in
> Bastogne the week of Christmas 1944. They nearly
> froze to death because they were unequipped for
> the weather and had to be dug in. The Germans had
> their positions dialed in with mortars and
> artillery, and really gave them a good pounding.
>
I recently watched a series on Easy Company as well!!! On Netflix I think. Mostly British actors. It was a superb movie and very accurate according to many. In fact, I have been getting into ALOT of WW2 documentaries. It has all become so very important to me.
> Huh...truly is a small world.