Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Hunting Overgrown (long grass), uneven ground w/ F75

Posted by seattleMD 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Hunting Overgrown (long grass), uneven ground w/ F75
February 23, 2008 12:34AM
Tom,

What would be your recommendation for hunting uneven ground (similar to a plowed field) w/ overgrown (8" long) grass? How would you sweep your detector?
Re: Hunting Overgrown (long grass), uneven ground w/ F75
February 23, 2008 12:43PM
High sensitivity, PF or DE mode.... and most importantly; Do what ever it takes to get the coil closer to the ground! ((( I've been known to take a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood with me!!!.... and even lawn mowers! ))). The extra heavy CZ coils are good for this reason....... and one of the reasons why I do not like 'light-weight' coils. Lightweight coils can "jitter" (oscillate) TOO easily,,,and induce EMI.

In 8" tall grass; It is MUCH more important to get the coil (say) 4" closer to the ground vs. raising Sens from '60' to '90'.
And if you can get the coil 6" or 7" closer to the ground........ this is even MORE important.

Tom
Kas
February 23, 2008 03:07PM
I've been known to mow a site to be allowed to hunt it, and take a battery weed wacker into the woods. The closer the better.
February 24, 2008 01:21PM
You may trying using the small coil and get it down in the grass and get closer tto the ground.