Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Update, Display completed went with no map.

Posted by Old California 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Update, Display completed went with no map.
January 23, 2015 07:56PM
Thanks everyone for sharing your choice of display, Really wanted to go with a map display but couldn't pull it off. Most here went with display #1 so that's the direction I went with, Thinned out a few finds cleaned it up a bit looks nice.

Appreciate your help forum friends, After gluing the pieces on strongly feel going with #1 that was the best direction to go with.

Very excited, The finds are going back to the property owner this coming weekend which will be proudly displayed to share with his family and friends. With having a few days left to hang on to this, Will display it proudly and share with those I can and relish each and everyday until it's back were it belongs.

Thanks again everyone,
Paul (Ca)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2015 06:47PM by Old California.
Re: Need help with display for property owner,
January 23, 2015 08:27PM
Paul they're both great!!

It's a tough choice, but personally, I'd lean towards the one with the map. It adds historical context to the display.

I'm sure they'll be thrilled with either design, I mean geesh gold coin, silver coins, awesome relics, what's not to like?

HH,
Brian
January 23, 2015 08:32PM
Paul one other thought that would allow you to have your cake and eat it too, so to speak. Make a map background that covers the entire inside of the display and then mount the finds to that?

Just a thought,
Brian
January 23, 2015 08:50PM
Hi Paul,,,,I like number one between the two....But I also think number 2 with the addition of the map offsets the display so it don't get my vote....However I believe if you was to put a smaller map right in the middle all the way to the bottom curving around you would have a winner.....Overall they are a work of art and anyone would be pleased to receive them....JJ
January 23, 2015 10:00PM
#1 is very nicely displayed = "A" symmetric and very eye appealing.
January 23, 2015 10:31PM
I think i go with JJ. The map is just alittle to big, seams to take away from finds. I like them both, i would be very happy with either.
both are very nice.
January 23, 2015 11:19PM
And I have to say that's very generous of you. I give a lot of stuff to my landowners too, but its usually just in riker cases. Yours shows a lot of thought and care. Nice Job. I'm sure either will do just fine!
January 23, 2015 11:27PM
Cleaner and easier on the eyes.
And it IS very nice of you to do, and it DOES look very nice.
smiling smiley
mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2015 11:41PM by Mike in CO.
January 23, 2015 11:49PM
That's a tough one...they both look great. I do like old maps though... so I lean towards the one with the map.
January 24, 2015 01:19AM
Paul, I prefer the one without the map. More pleasing to my eye.

As an aside, if the key looking thing is not a key (can't really see its detail very well), what is it? I have one found at an old homesite. Saw another one on another forum, too.

Thanks.

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
January 24, 2015 02:16AM
Thanks everyone for sharing which of the two you prefer, So far #1 and #2 are about equal maybe leaning towards #1 display by a vote. Really do like the display with the map, And Brian thanks for sharing a complete map backdrop idea that's a great idea, I'll try cut and piece together a decent backdrop to cover the entire shallow box see if this will enhance the display. The only problem with such a large map backing is it will limit the display to hold less finds, But maybe less is best and as JJ, Mike, MichiganRelicHunter, Flintstone and Wayne mentioned (#1 is more cleaner and more pleasing to the eye) maybe going with #1 instead may be the nest route?

Jimmy, I'll shrink a map and place it down smack down the lower middle see how that turns out. Have three weeks to get this to the owner so will try yours and Brian's idea and repost the final display here when i's completed.

Wayne, That is an old key but the front stub portion that enters the key insert is broke off. This key is not of the same lock but a nice find to display along with the other stuff.

Here's a quick pic of the display when I showed it to the owner the other day, At the time shared with him I would most like be including a map or some type of description of the area on top of the display. So he's seen the finds and a sneak preview of the display, Hopefully get this back to him within 3 weeks the finds mean much more to him and really need to go back with the property they came from.

Believe he Gold piece and seated quarter came from a snap purse, Had found remains of a snap purse a while back and on a recent hunt it was near the general area the seated quarter and gold piece surfaced. A seated dime was recovered further away but don't believe it was part of the purse spill, Still a keeper though.

Thanks again everyone, Appreciate your opinions and insight with some ideas.

All the best,
Paul (Ca)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2015 02:18AM by Old California.
January 24, 2015 02:28AM
If you can add a map to #1,Id go with that. Good stuff dude! Very nice didplays!
January 24, 2015 02:35AM
Hi Paul,,,here was my idea below where the map should go....But probably not that high up ,cut it to follow the right & left angles on the bottom....I did a test photo in my imaging program and it looked nice but I can't upload photos.....JJ

____
\­­­___/
January 24, 2015 02:49AM
#1 is very nice.
January 24, 2015 03:02AM
Partial to # 1 myself. Looks really good!

Capt.
January 24, 2015 04:00AM
Paul 2 is number 1 on my list meaning use the map that looks so cool

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
January 24, 2015 03:57PM
Great looking displays I like number 2 because of a the map,it adds a nice touch. Nice collection and congrats. Corey
January 25, 2015 07:34PM
Thanks everyone, Still up in the air on this one but as some of you I too like the map display. Have two weeks to get this figured out will post the final one when it's completed.

Thanks again everyone,
Paul
January 25, 2015 08:10PM
Both are nice,but #1 is most eye catching,however,being a map person #2 is also nice. Perhaps the personality of the recipient would be the tie breaker.
January 25, 2015 08:57PM
Id go with number 1 all day long...

And while the Map is unique and very beautiful...its makes the display To busy...and takes away from the standalone AWE! inspiration of the Artifacts..

very nice and unselfish of you Paul to give such quality pieces to the person..

I see you have a gold coin in there...AWESOME!!

Keith
January 25, 2015 11:33PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Id go with number 1 all day long...
>
> And while the Map is unique and very
> beautiful...its makes the display To busy...and
> takes away from the standalone AWE! inspiration of
> the Artifacts..
>
> very nice and unselfish of you Paul to give such
> quality pieces to the person..
>
> I see you have a gold coin in there...AWESOME!!
>
> Keith

Ditto ALL of that!
January 27, 2015 04:50PM
Thanks gang, Think # 1 display is going to be the final display. Would have preferred the map version but after thought and based from your comments it may be an overkill a distraction that takes away the beauty. However, Need to get with JJ he has an idea and I'd like to see his version with the map centered at the bottom.

Will post the final display before the weekend, then hand it over to the property owner.

Thanks again,
Paul
Re: Update, Display completed went with no map.
January 29, 2015 06:48PM
update on top post,
January 29, 2015 08:03PM
Hi Paul,,,The display and choice is superb,thanks for sharing....JJ
January 29, 2015 09:45PM
Very nice. Put the map on the back. JMO Out a sight, but can be looked at. What do most people do when looking at old photo? Years down the road it would be looked at.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2015 09:53PM by tnsharpshooter.