Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I notice, it seems a lot of new members lately....

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I notice, it seems a lot of new members lately....
January 24, 2015 03:08AM
That's super. This forum is a great place to get information and exchange ideas. Not too much brand loyalty boasting, but rather more BIG picture questions and discussions about detectors, detector capabilites, and detector specific uses. Tom D congrats!!!!
Re: I notice, it seems a lot of new members lately....
January 24, 2015 03:52AM
Hi,,,yeah it's great, there's just a little tension out there right now folks...stay tuned don't turn that dial....LoL...JJ
January 24, 2015 04:00AM
Cabin fever JJ!!
January 24, 2015 04:29PM
New members unless they can bring something to the table, need to do more listening than talking. There is more people here that know in depth not just metal detecting but detector technology than any forum on line. I've learned much reading behind you and am appreciative to all. Thanks again
January 24, 2015 06:06PM
In other words be a dancer not a wallflower. Interesting what comes up even with a newbies post...
January 24, 2015 06:26PM
Amazing the gall that someone would sign up as a member here, and then start throwing out insults to longtime and respected members. Speaks volumes about the individual.
January 24, 2015 07:15PM
sekypaleo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Amazing the gall that someone would sign up as a
> member here, and then start throwing out insults
> to longtime and respected members. Speaks volumes
> about the individual.

You would think they had something better to do :-)

HH
Johnb
January 25, 2015 01:54AM
The gall of those Newbies!! They need to go sit in the corner and keep their mouths shut.

Ok BamaJoe I will play along; I'm all ears. Why don't you give this Greenhorn a few useful tips, maybe on the Deus? 

Duke
January 25, 2015 02:51AM
Maybe when you reach 16.
January 25, 2015 03:02AM
I have learned alot of info here about detecting......because I asked questions. New guys/gals, you are very welcome here.
January 25, 2015 03:21AM
There are a wonderful exchange of opinions/queries here, and it is a welcomed source of information and ideas. I, for one, could care less if you are new or one of the first members, as long as it is respectful. The best inventions come from 'outside of the box' thinking...
January 25, 2015 03:33AM
Kevin B Wrote:
> I have learned alot of info here about
> detecting......because I asked questions. New
> guys/gals, you are very welcome here.

Kevin, On another post someone that hasn't been on the forum long seemed to be challenging Steve Herschbach feedback on units that he had tested. Maybe I misread the thread. Anyway I thought he was wrong and was trying to say that the members that have been posting a long time here know metal detecting and have been very helpful to me. What I said was that if someone had good information it will be gladly received. But if they are tied to brand loyalty and just want to ruffle feathers then it probably want go over well. If I'm wrong ,I don't want to put words in others mouths, and members enjoy sticking it to others then I'll butt out. I'm not and certainly doubt that Tom discourages new members.
January 25, 2015 04:14AM
I may be 15, I may be 52, but one thing is certain: I've got enough sense to know that you don't stifle members. If you want the body of knowledge to grow you don't do it.

Well said Kevin and Travis. In fact you guys said it much better than I could.

I am thankful that the gent who started this thread wasn't stifled along the way...I've learned so much about my Deus from The Sharpshooter. His posts are highly recommended.

To quote our esteemed host, "Freedom of Speech.............. Freedom of Speech.................. Freedom of Speech!!!!!!  Have-at-it........ Gent's!!!!!!!!!"  NASA-Tom

Good Luck To All Tomorrow,

Duke
January 25, 2015 04:39AM
BamaJoe Wrote:
> Kevin B Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I have learned alot of info here about
> > detecting......because I asked questions. New
> > guys/gals, you are very welcome here.
>
> Kevin, On another post someone that hasn't been on
> the forum long seemed to be challenging Steve
> Herschbach feedback on units that he had tested.
> Maybe I misread the thread. Anyway I thought he
> was wrong and was trying to say that the members
> that have been posting a long time here know metal
> detecting and have been very helpful to me. What I
> said was that if someone had good information it
> will be gladly received. But if they are tied to
> brand loyalty and just want to ruffle feathers
> then it probably want go over well. If I'm wrong
> ,I don't want to put words in others mouths, and
> members enjoy sticking it to others then I'll butt
> out. I'm not and certainly doubt that Tom
> discourages new members.

It's all good BamaJoe. I wasn't taking issue with your post. And I totally agree about Steve H. There's no way that I would discount any info from him. I am 51 yrs young but I will gladly learn from someone who is half my age who has been in the game longer that me (and that is only 5 years). As the kids say these days: We cool! kevin
January 25, 2015 04:46AM
My 2 and a half cents worth. I respect any and all post as long as they are respectful. Do I disagree with some of the information that's posted? Sure
Some on here seem to only care about a select few posters comments. That's ok by me. But just remember this. Unless one is handicapped. Most people have 2 eyes, 2 ears, 2 arms, 2 legs and a brain. Now couple this with, most modern detectors now have digital settings. Meaning there are only so many combinations available in which to run the machine. Sure some on here may get the machine first to maybe test, but this doesn't necessarily mean given time other users can't be as proficient. As a matter a fact a new user could in fact discover a detectors nuance unknown to anyone else. And to think how long does it take to really become super proficient with a machine. I find my brain/ears getting really used to brand x, use it a couple days. Switch to brand y, and it takes a while to get back into the groove with it even though I had used brand y a great deal previously. I have most of the flagship detectors. I see certain things when using all of them. And it takes more than 1 occurrence, usually many with any one detector before I start drawing conclusions. I usually want the WHY behind why one detector does certain things better than others. And most of the time I just don't know. I usually can only speculate like most others who post on this forum. I still say this is a great forum. I read most post even JJ's!! lol
January 25, 2015 05:20AM
Great Forum!!!!!!!!!
January 25, 2015 05:57AM
mascard1 Wrote:
> Great Forum!!!!!!!!!

Hello Michael, welcome home!!!!!! smiling smiley
January 25, 2015 02:56PM
I am 62 but in my mind I am 15..... does that matter?

Tom in SC
January 25, 2015 03:06PM
tmanly Wrote:
> I am 62 but in my mind I am 15..... does that
> matter?
>
> Tom in SC

I am 51, but act (and think) like I am in my teens. Personally, I think there is enough room on this globe for all of us.
January 25, 2015 03:14PM
We would have a lot more members if all of us who are bi-polar had to sign up twice......

Tom in SC
January 25, 2015 03:23PM
I'm 40, but after a week of working in my "Freezing" workshop wearing longjohns I feel like 99.

Haven't been at this game a long time, and today I was out and about with the Excalibur digging up the beach.
Thanks to this forum and the wealth of posts from users, abusers, testers, designers, buy and tryers,... miss anyone out??

Well today I dug a coin,... not just any coin,... a witnessed coin.

There was a guy standing next to me at the beach, had his camera with him and was eyeballing my every move for a while.

When I finished the four scoops on a short iron signal with a coin "F@&T", I showed him my treasure.
A 2€ coin from way deep!

He didn't say much other than: "That is one very sensitive machine!"

That is what several years of reading and contributing to this forum will do to you,...

A real smile on your face coin!!

Be polite,... it doesn't hurt!!

HH
Johnb
January 25, 2015 05:38PM
newbie from Canada, I'm an advocate for Senior Discounts from metal detector dealers...

great forum, I like to say something now and again and this forum is definitely helping to shape my decision for a new detector purchase this year...

been using a G2 (my only detector right now) since 2011 and am looking for something complementary, more depth but I really like the ID ability of the G2 so favour that aspect...

cheers...
January 25, 2015 06:05PM
tmanly Wrote:
> I am 62 but in my mind I am 15..... does that
> matter?
>
> Tom in SC

LoL

how long you been tectin T-man?

I'm 51 and been diggin since 1977 (my little lady says I act "20 something") -- I even get yelled at because of it!