Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Question for Steve H on GPX coils.

Posted by Streak! 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Question for Steve H on GPX coils.
January 29, 2015 06:36PM
I saw in another post where you said you had a lot of coils for your machines. Knowing you have a GPX............do you also have a 12X15 commander coil, and a Coiltek 14" pro elite DD for your GPX?
I have the Elite, but am considering a 12X15 commander. I am asking because I am curious which one may be the deepest in relic type targets. I do know a number of guys that use the 12X15 commander with great success, ( on CW relics) but none that use the coil I have (the 14" Tek elite). Seems to me that just taking into account the sizes of the coils, the Elite "should" give the commander a run for its money in the depth dept, but not having both to actually test them side by side am only guessing. The stock 11" coils does very well there, but just doesn't have enough depth on the VERY hard hit areas we are hunting. If you have or have had either of these coils I would be interested in your assessment. Don't seem to be able to find any real comparisons anywhere else. thanks...
BTW...........the dirt involved is very hot red nasty stuff in the Culpeper Va area.
Re: Question for Steve H on GPX coils.
January 30, 2015 12:12AM
Hi Streak. I have been lurking here for awhile but don't post as I am a novice with VlFs. But I do know a thing or two about PI gold detectors. Since Steve has not replied I will jump in here. I would like to give you a definitive answer but your post does not say which 12x15 you are interested in. Minelab makes both, a DD and Mono coils in 12x15. I have owned both and they are good performers that are well constructed. I have not swung a Coiltek 14" pro elite DD but do own an 11" Coiltek Pro DD.
It seems your only criteria is which one would be deepest. In all but the toughest ground a 12x15 Mono is going to kick your 14R DD's a$$ but it sounds like your dirt is red hot so I would run the DD in sensitive extra or sharp timings. With the DD you retain the rudmentary descrimination. A 12x15DD loses out to 14R DD by a slight margin. Bottom line is save your money and run the 14" coiltek.
The surest way to know is get one of your buddies that has a 12x15 to compare in-situ signals.
Merton
January 30, 2015 12:59AM
thanks for the reply. The 12X15 I would be asking about would be the DD. I know the monos are deeper, but you lose any iron reject with them. The DD's handle the soil I hunt in better as well. This particular soil you can only run sharp "some" of the time, and I usually start out in normal and work my way towards sharp if conditions allow. I was mainly just curious if anyone had used both coils, and which one got the nod on depth. I understand that the 12X15 essentially acts like a 13.5 inch coil,( so I am told) so everything else being equal the 14" Tek ought to at least match it for depth, if not best it a small amount. Again, thanks for the reply!

goldbrick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Streak. I have been lurking here for awhile but
> don't post as I am a novice with VlFs. But I do
> know a thing or two about PI gold detectors. Since
> Steve has not replied I will jump in here. I would
> like to give you a definitive answer but your post
> does not say which 12x15 you are interested in.
> Minelab makes both, a DD and Mono coils in 12x15.
> I have owned both and they are good performers
> that are well constructed. I have not swung a
> Coiltek 14" pro elite DD but do own an 11" Coiltek
> Pro DD.
> It seems your only criteria is which one would be
> deepest. In all but the toughest ground a 12x15
> Mono is going to kick your 14R DD's a$$ but it
> sounds like your dirt is red hot so I would run
> the DD in sensitive extra or sharp timings. With
> the DD you retain the rudmentary descrimination. A
> 12x15DD loses out to 14R DD by a slight margin.
> Bottom line is save your money and run the 14"
> coiltek.
> The surest way to know is get one of your buddies
> that has a 12x15 to compare in-situ signals.
> Merton
January 30, 2015 01:46AM
I used the 12x15 for the first 2 days of DIV XXIV. I switched to the stock coil the last day and my arm thanked me. Even with the harness the big coil wears you down. I didn't notice enough difference in depth to swing it again, just more coverage.
January 30, 2015 02:00PM
The 12X15 Is heavier Walter, but it definitely gets better depth than the stock 11" commander. We are on a side hill at Spillmans in a spot that had been hammered before with 11" coils. Two of us were using the 11's, and a couple of guys were using the 12X15's. The 12X15's were still digging deep bullets that we just couldn't hear at all with the 11's. Believe me we tried, and couldnt even get a peep on those real deep ones. That 12X15 might wear yall out, but when the targets get slim it bests the 11 hands down. My question was simply if the 14" tek was as deep as the 12X15.

Fletch88 Wrote:
> I used the 12x15 for the first 2 days of DIV XXIV.
> I switched to the stock coil the last day and my
> arm thanked me. Even with the harness the big coil
> wears you down. I didn't notice enough difference
> in depth to swing it again, just more coverage.
January 30, 2015 02:42PM
Not really concerned with depth huh smiling smiley Haha. I'm just giving ya a hard time man. See ya in a few weeks.

I ran the 12x15 for a little spell and didn't see a big benefit in keeping it. I also tried the SEF 12-15 and it faired much better on the TDI than it did on the GPX. I have the 18" DD coil and THAT sucker will go deep. But it is horrible for EMI. IT MIGHT be okay in an open field with only a couple other people but I wouldn't want to be anywhere within 50 yards of other pulse machines with it. I swear I can pick the international space center up in an air test with it.
January 30, 2015 03:14PM
Streak! Wrote:
> The 12X15 Is heavier Walter, but it definitely
> gets better depth than the stock 11" commander. We
> are on a side hill at Spillmans in a spot that had
> been hammered before with 11" coils. Two of us
> were using the 11's, and a couple of guys were
> using the 12X15's. The 12X15's were still digging
> deep bullets that we just couldn't hear at all
> with the 11's. Believe me we tried, and couldnt
> even get a peep on those real deep ones. That
> 12X15 might wear yall out, but when the targets
> get slim it bests the 11 hands down. My question
> was simply if the 14" tek was as deep as the
> 12X15.

>
>
>
> Fletch88 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I used the 12x15 for the first 2 days of DIV
> XXIV.
> > I switched to the stock coil the last day and
> my
> > arm thanked me. Even with the harness the big
> coil
> > wears you down. I didn't notice enough
> difference
> > in depth to swing it again, just more coverage.

Streak, yes I was in that snow storm myself! I did find a Schenkel fuse in amongst heavy iron with the 12x15. I was on the alternate list for XXX and then made into hunt. I had to cancel due to a wedding, only to have my wife tell me that night that she never said we had to go!!! GRrrrrrr women!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2015 03:15PM by Fletch88.
January 30, 2015 03:56PM
I guess I should say I'm not concerned greatly with depth in 99% of my regular hunting. That's in heavy iron infested site like old cellar holes and colonial sites. I consider DIV a niche event. There was once a time there though where I was far more concerned with iron see thu and separation, but as you well know those days are mostly gone like the easy relics. If you don't go deep there (and hunt slow and careful) you'll have a pretty light pouch at the end of the day. I do see a couple of locals that use the 18 a lot, but not so much at the hunts. GIANT antenna, and its bad enough sometimes with the stock coil. I have had some success with the AI coil too, (had a 14 but now have an 11) but it gives up a lot of depth. Still...................being able to even hunt when your being circled by 10 other GPX users with diminished depth is better than having game killing EMI issues. Wont be long now. See ya in march.

Daniel Tn Wrote:
> Not really concerned with depth huh smiling smiley Haha. I'm
> just giving ya a hard time man. See ya in a few
> weeks.
>
> I ran the 12x15 for a little spell and didn't see
> a big benefit in keeping it. I also tried the SEF
> 12-15 and it faired much better on the TDI than it
> did on the GPX. I have the 18" DD coil and THAT
> sucker will go deep. But it is horrible for EMI.
> IT MIGHT be okay in an open field with only a
> couple other people but I wouldn't want to be
> anywhere within 50 yards of other pulse machines
> with it. I swear I can pick the international
> space center up in an air test with it.