Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Does the EMI still exist .... F-75 LTD 2?

Posted by capt. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Does the EMI still exist .... F-75 LTD 2?
January 30, 2015 10:28PM
This exempt is from one of Tom's essays. Questions follow..

THE BEST WAY TO REDUCE EMI:

Place F75 in all-metal mode with max Sens ('99'). Hold coil about a foot above the ground.....very still......and perfectly parallel with the ground. Select F1 through F7.........one at a time...... and listen to each channel/freq for about 4-5 seconds. Find the one freq/channel that provides the least interference. Now you can switch back over to the ID mode......and.....yes......this Freq/channel selection will stay the same whilst switching over to the ID mode. If you are running the unit 'wide open'....and you still are encountering EMI..... you can change Disc to a setting of '5'. There is a huge difference between Disc '4'....and Disc '5'. You should not have to increase Disc to higher numbers. If EMI is still present.... you now can start to drop Sens .... until EMI is gone. Remember; you are already on the best possible F1 through F7 Freq/channel selection...and must employ other methods so as to reduce EMI... if it is still present.

If you look at your LCD depth bar-graph......and EMI is causing it to jump all the way into the middle bar-graph (medium strength signal) ............you will only be able to detect targets that are (at least) as strong/powerful.....OR STRONGER (shallower) as that middle bar-graph. This is also to say that......if you want to get rid of audible EMI......you would then be required to reduce Sensitivity to the point where targets in that middle bar-graph (and deeper targets)... would no longer be detected. What you are doing is.....reducing the sensitivity of the detector to 'just below' the signal strength of the EMI. Said differently; If EMI is so strong......that this specific EMI "looks like" a 7" deep target................then the detector will only be capable of detecting targets up to 7" deep....and no deeper... in this hunting area.

Some of the best days to hunt.....as far as EMI is concerned......is at the very end of a hard rain........or shortly after a hard rain......as this is what washes the salts off of nearby powerlines.

If you are 'beating' an old/hunted-out area again.......and you suddenly learn that you are finding a lot more targets........it may very well be that you are encountering less EMI on this specific day.

I can only stress the level of importance of EMI mitigation. USE THAT F1 THROUGH F7 OPTION.

Questions.

With the DST, is the EMI still affecting the detector the same way and we just are not able to hear it?

If this is the case, how are we going to ascertain the correct frequency setting for best depth and stability of the detector?

Is this still a necessary step with the new F75 SE units?

Although I have only had a very short time with my F75(upgraded LTD) before I had to catch a boat (4 hrs), when turned on in my house and Sens to 99 there was NO EMI interference (small 6 inch elliptical coil). My house is FILLED with EMI producing gadgets and gizmos. If I can't hear the EMI, how can I find the best frequency to use at the site of choice?

Are these questions or the essay excerpt applicable to the new F75 SE?

Just trying to figure it all out so I can use it at it's full potential when the time comes. Thanks for any help in doing just that.

Capt.
Re: Does the EMI still exist .... F-75 LTD 2?
January 31, 2015 12:31AM
And that is a VERY good question. On many attempts (for quite some time)........... I have been testing for exactly this.... on the new F75-2 platform. It CERTAINLY exists on other detectors (including the exceptionally stable CZ)........... and............. so far............. appears to hold true on the new F75-2............. BUT............ to what extent. "How much" .... has been my dedicated cause .... for quite some time now.

Thus far........... my nearly complete F75-2 resultant expresses the following: YES............ but to a lessor-order-of-magnitude queue.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Example:
Silent EMI of certain order........... produces a reduction in performance (silently).
Increase the (silent) EMI........ and the detector still remains quiet........... BUT/YET........... overall performance is reduced even further...... quietly/unsuspectingly.
January 31, 2015 07:13AM
Thanks for responding Tom. I was afraid that was going to be the case.

Thanks for opening my eyes to this entirely different approach to metal detecting with your writings, essays and posts on this forum. Makes for some fascinating (to me) reading, and a way of looking at this hobby of mine that I would not have come up with on my own.

I am looking forward to your future posts regarding the F75-2.

Capt.
January 31, 2015 10:39AM
If only I could just simply swing a detector for enjoyment/fun........ and NOT scientifically over-analyze everything!
January 31, 2015 12:26PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If only I could just simply swing a detector for
> enjoyment/fun........ and NOT scientifically
> over-analyze everything!

We get the most important useful information from analytic minds, they are curious people......I believe you are enjoying yourself, ha, if you think about it.
January 31, 2015 12:56PM
The non-Monte answer: "yes"
January 31, 2015 05:22PM
If FT was ORDERED to screw up the upgrade situation they Could Not have done as complete screwup as they have. I have a 6 month old 75,eligible for FREE upgrade, that I will not send in. I have a feeling that in the future "non upgraded 75's " may command a premium in the resale market.
February 01, 2015 03:24AM
i think that they will get it all straightened out over time!
in the interim,i am waiting for tom's assessment of version
#2 when he is ready to reveal.

(h.h.!)
j.t.