Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Do any of you guys pack heat when detecting certain areas?

Posted by possum mo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Do any of you guys pack heat when detecting certain areas?
February 14, 2015 09:24PM
I was at an abandoned lake park last year, and ended up in an uncomfortable situation with a group of young punks. It got me thinking about my lack of an equalizer.
Well, I just passed my cc class, bought a .38 , and I will feel alot more secure this hunting season. How about you? I hope I never have to use it. I feel its better to have it and not need it.......
I carry all the time
February 14, 2015 09:41PM
I HATE it, but the way things are today I feel I have no choice. Lotsa bad stuff out there. Way things are though you just might be better off getting your butt kicked and robbed than having to shoot someone. I wouldn't even think of pulling mine unless I had absolutely no choice and either my life or a family members life was in imminent danger. Don't brandish it.... ever.......keep it well hidden......practice with it................and only use it as a last resort. If mine comes out of its holster its because I HAVE to shoot someone. Its a big responsibility.
Re: I carry all the time
February 14, 2015 09:47PM
Well stated.
Re: Do any of you guys pack heat when detecting certain areas?
February 14, 2015 10:06PM
With the way the laws are if someone attacked me and I used my digging tool as a way of defending myself and someone called the police I would go to jail and if I had a gun and had to shot the person I would go to jail....It's not worth it these days but I would think the best thing to have is a taser gun then I think I would stand a better chance of protecting myself and the police letting me go...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
Re: I carry all the time
February 14, 2015 10:08PM
I've had my CC for 4 years. It's a Ruger LCP .380 I never leave home without it. This includes detecting. Also while I'm at home I always have it on me as well. You sometimes hear of those home invasions where they catch the homeowner off guard watching TV or something. I will be ready to defend my family with flying lead. I also have a sawed off 12ga pump loaded with 4/0 shot. Plus I installed a super bright tactical light to it for nice visual effects.
wjs
February 14, 2015 10:34PM
I remember one time me and Khouse were hunting a park and I don't remember all the details but I remember him patting his pant leg saying I got us covered......;o)
February 14, 2015 10:44PM
Guys
Always remember your messages are out there forever. Some things should be stated but stated " gingerly". IMO
This is a great topic because I m pretty sure we all get in areas that are iffy to say the least and then have our ears covered as well. I look around so much when I'm digging people probably think I just struck it rich. Truth is I'm looking out for people. I was thinking a couple of weeks ago about rigging up a mirror. hmmm really might out to put some more thought into it.
February 14, 2015 10:51PM
Bflo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Guys
> Always remember your messages are out there
> forever. Some things should be stated but stated
> " gingerly". IMO
> This is a great topic because I m pretty sure we
> all get in areas that are iffy to say the least
> and then have our ears covered as well. I look
> around so much when I'm digging people probably
> think I just struck it rich. Truth is I'm looking
> out for people. I was thinking a couple of weeks
> ago about rigging up a mirror. hmmm really might
> out to put some more thought into it.
They have glasses with mirrors on the side so you can see behind you......
February 14, 2015 10:53PM
wjs Wrote:
> I remember one time me and Khouse were hunting a
> park and I don't remember all the details but I
> remember him patting his pant leg saying I got us
> covered......;o)
I remember. You need to get your CC so you can have my back!
February 14, 2015 10:59PM
No answer as it may save your life on the other hand it could land you in jail or being sued big time...
As a retired Pa. Statepoliceman have had several of my barracks members kill in the line of duty and came close 3 times myself getting the advantage and not having to use deadly force and believe me if you take a life or wound someone I know what these fellows went thru and can imagine what you would as a civilian...My house and family is protected by Smith and Wesson but just like the western song leave my guns at home and try to stay out of those areas or if an area is suspect hunt with several friends. Last year I ran into a fellow retired Statepoliceman from a neighboring State and he was carrying on his hip..His answer was
straight and forward as he stated if he had to use they would go into the river adjacent to where we were hunting.
Indeed a big responsibility so your call if properly licensed....
February 14, 2015 11:01PM
I live in a very rural area. I grew up hunting and fishing all the time as a kid. I used to go to combat shoots years ago when I did volunteer work with the local Civil Defense Police. We just helped as security at fairgrounds, festivals and sometimes at fire scenes. Anyways, I usually do the majority of my detecting at old colonial sites over by the Wabash River. We've had more than one shooting death in the area where Meth was being cooked. I haven't had any trouble over the years but I have had three instances where I was startled by animals. The most I was ever startled was when a half starved horse walked up behind me in a field (without me knowing it) and snorted real loud. Thought I had been had...Lol! I have had a few animals growl at me at the edge of a woods that were hidden by underbrush. When out in the middle of nowhere, I generally carry a Ruger GP100 .357 to scare off varmits if I need it. I did have a guy try to walk up behind me one time in the park real fast and he detoured as soon as I turned around. I didn't feel like it was good intentions...I wouldn't blame anyone for carrying nowdays...
February 14, 2015 11:15PM
I always carry when detecting.
Better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6
February 14, 2015 11:29PM
I always carry.. Just never know these days..
February 14, 2015 11:38PM
Wow!!....after reading some of the post..you guys live in some scary places.We don't have the option to carry a sidearm in Canada..gun laws are very restricted here.
I've been detecting for about three years now...detect at local parks ,schools, rural areas fields woods and I've never been approached by anyone wanting to do me harm...most want to know what I'm finding or ask how they can get into metal detecting.
Guess I've really never thought about it much....thankful I live where I do.....
Oh.... and I carry a sidearm every day for work...go figure smiling smiley
Be safe Lads....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2015 12:52AM by Whimpster.
February 15, 2015 12:24AM
B,
There's a lot of add-on rear-view mirrors for bicycle helmets. You might be able to rig one to attach to your headphones.
I might even look into that myself...sounds like a great idea.

mike

Bflo Wrote:
> Guys
> Always remember your messages are out there
> forever. Some things should be stated but stated
> " gingerly". IMO
> This is a great topic because I m pretty sure we
> all get in areas that are iffy to say the least
> and then have our ears covered as well. I look
> around so much when I'm digging people probably
> think I just struck it rich. Truth is I'm looking
> out for people. I was thinking a couple of weeks
> ago about rigging up a mirror. hmmm really might
> out to put some more thought into it.
February 15, 2015 12:38AM
I open carry mine where it's in view in some areas I detect If someone's stupid enough to try and attack me they asked for it. A 1911 .45 government issued is hard to conceal but it's looks and size can be intimidating to someone who is up to no good I hope and pray I never have to use it!!
February 15, 2015 01:24AM
Being from the south, Guns are a big part of our heritage. Everyone has them. I got my CC just because I metal detect and have had several close encounters. I have never had to use or even pull it out.
I have taken several courses and learned when, and where I can carry and use it. I do not think I could ever use it to end someone's life, but I sure could change it.
Drugs make people desperate. And even in safe areas can lead to trouble. Here there are several areas that it is not allowed. It is important to know where.

This reminds me of a hunt on a local school. ( No Guns Allowed) . A Guy pulled in, walked very fast up to where I was hunting. I stopped and said hello. He asked if I knew who he was. I said "no I do not."
He then informed me that he was the School district Superintendent . I said "It is nice to meet you. My name is Tom and I am one of the owners!!!!"
He left and wished me good luck on my hunt.

Tom in SC
February 15, 2015 01:35AM
glock 23. But whats funny,I dont carry it usually when I go to ghetto hunt in Stockton(google Stockton,haha...hellhole) but do when I hike around our canyons. Im pretty street smart,and dont look like an easy target, but when hiking have ran into grow areas quite a few times.
February 15, 2015 01:36AM
I'll come out of the shadows for a quick second. I always carry too and +1 on the heritage comment, everyone here has one and grew up with them, but being a combat vet I dread the day I'm forced to use it. I had enough of that as a youngster, but I much more dread the day I'm unarmed and assaulted by a detector pawning meth addict with a kitchen knife.....They're out there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2015 01:37AM by BHMACK.
February 15, 2015 01:40AM
12 years as a CC permit holder. Never needed it and I hope it stays that way.
But if ever I do I only hope my judgment is correct.
February 15, 2015 02:01AM
I take 70 pounds of athletic muscle and teeth with constant vigilance and an evil set of eyes on a 15' leash---if someone gets past him they will bleed to death before they can harm me.
However , if anything should happen to him , the bride will have me drawn and quartered. sad smiley
February 15, 2015 02:40AM
I stay out of crappy areas. I don't want to shoot or hurt anyone. If they want my money or detector they can have them. My home owners would pay for it anyways. If they have a gun they would probably have the drop on me anyways so what good is carrying going to do? If they don't have a gun they better have something longer than a Sampson digger. But like I said, I don't want to fight anyone over property. Take it. I'm insured. Sort of reminds me of car alarms. When they first came out everyone turned their attention to the sounding alarms. Now everyone is just glad when the darn thing quits making noise. If you want to steal my car please take it. I'm tired of the payments anyways. If someone wants to kill me over what I carry when I'm detecting then I figure they will be Kicking themselves in the ass for killing me for ten bucks and a detector that will be very hard to sell.
February 15, 2015 02:57AM
goodmore Wrote:
> I stay out of crappy areas. I don't want to shoot
> or hurt anyone. If they want my money or detector
> they can have them. My home owners would pay for
> it anyways. If they have a gun they would probably
> have the drop on me anyways so what good is
> carrying going to do? If they don't have a gun
> they better have something longer than a Sampson
> digger. But like I said, I don't want to fight
> anyone over property. Take it. I'm insured. Sort
> of reminds me of car alarms. When they first came
> out everyone turned their attention to the
> sounding alarms. Now everyone is just glad when
> the darn thing quits making noise. If you want to
> steal my car please take it. I'm tired of the
> payments anyways. If someone wants to kill me over
> what I carry when I'm detecting then I figure they
> will be Kicking themselves in the ass for killing
> me for ten bucks and a detector that will be very
> hard to sell.
I understand what your saying. But not all crimes happen in crappy places. I personally feel better having it than not. It's possible I'll get killed without me even drawing my weapon. But my odds of surviving are higher if I'm packing.
February 15, 2015 03:06AM
goodmore Wrote:
> I stay out of crappy areas. I don't want to shoot
> or hurt anyone. If they want my money or detector
> they can have them. My home owners would pay for
> it anyways. If they have a gun they would probably
> have the drop on me anyways so what good is
> carrying going to do? If they don't have a gun
> they better have something longer than a Sampson
> digger. But like I said, I don't want to fight
> anyone over property. Take it. I'm insured. Sort
> of reminds me of car alarms. When they first came
> out everyone turned their attention to the
> sounding alarms. Now everyone is just glad when
> the darn thing quits making noise. If you want to
> steal my car please take it. I'm tired of the
> payments anyways. If someone wants to kill me over
> what I carry when I'm detecting then I figure they
> will be Kicking themselves in the ass for killing
> me for ten bucks and a detector that will be very
> hard to sell.

All that assumes the nameless someone just doesn't want to kill you for the thrill of it. I would give even odds someone who walks up to a detectorist to rob him would kill you just for seeing his face. I don't carry to protect my property. I don't care much about it either but thinking 'if I hand it over with a smile' has put a lot of folks in the obits.
February 15, 2015 03:13AM
I always carry,best sites are in the older parts of Indianapolis.
February 15, 2015 03:49AM
Never leave home without means of defense. Never want to hurt any one but want to be hurt even less...
February 15, 2015 08:42AM
..i believe "most" folks are ok,but there is still
that certain 'element" that seems to be intent on doing
others harm.that said,as mentioned by another (o.p)..
much better to "have and not need,than to need ,and not have"

(h.h.!)
j.t..
February 15, 2015 06:52PM
Just get yourself a Brian Williams cutout and strap it to your back----dem bad guys will know at a glance: Brian's got dat dude's back,leave'em alone.
February 16, 2015 01:32AM
Don't everybody? Just came back to this post to edit, because i got to thinking about some of these reply's?????????? As far as giving someone my detector or money or truck or any damn thing I worked for cause they are threating me with violence and I'm in a place I have every right to be, I say HELL NO, you ain't getting nothing from me but a hard time, and I'll make it as hard as you want, it your choice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2015 01:41AM by u2robert.
February 16, 2015 02:16AM
Let's see, several encounters....
A few years ago in an old park in the low country I was using a 705 for detecting. I was digging a target and I noticed a couple of shadows come upon me while I was kneeling down. I looked up and there were 3 negroe older teenagers standing right up on me. I slid one side of the headphone over and said hey young men. One of them said can I hold that? I said no I was metal detecting. He said I want to see how it works and started moving his hand down and bending over. I stood up and told him nope it ain't gonna happen. He kinda insisted until I told him you touch it and I'll cut you ####### head off with this shovel. They said wait a minute and I pulled it up and showed them the sharp side of it holding it like a baseball bat. Told them to get the #### away from me I'll cut your dayum head off. They backed off and went and sat under one of the pavilions for a couple of hours. I kept on detecting the rest of the day.

Down where we hunt now, a couple of years ago had a guy start walking straight at me and said he wanted to ask me something. He stopped when he got to my truck which was in his path. He took a very quick look in the window, it was locked, as he walked kinda quickly towards me. I said what do you want? He said I want to talk to you. I told him nope I was busy and he insisted and kept walking towards me quickly still. I told him you need to stop where you're at when he was some 20 yds away. He said naw I want to........... That's when I yelled at him he better not come near me. He kept walking and I told him I'm fixing to cut your ####### head off with this shovel and to get your ####### ### away from me and then he got the message. Told me you don't understand I........ I told him again to get the #### away from me or I'll cut your head off with this shovel. He left.

Just a month ago was detecting the same place downtown and turned around and a big tall dude was just standing there a couple of feet away, startled me. I said hey buddy and kept on detecting. He said sir, I said how are you young man, what do ya need? I kept on detecting ignoring him. He said sir, I slid one earcup off and said yes. He said what are you looking for? I told him and he asked if I had found anything and that he was really interested in doing this and how much to get one and if I could show him if he got one because he sees us/me so much down there. We chatted for about 10 minutes and I unplugged the phones so he could hear what I was hearing. I did some explanation for him to take in and he thanked me and went on his way.

Fun stuff...................