Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Do any of you guys pack heat when detecting certain areas?

Posted by possum mo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Do any of you guys pack heat when detecting certain areas?
February 16, 2015 03:42AM
u2robert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't everybody? Just came back to this post to
> edit, because i got to thinking about some of
> these reply's?????????? As far as giving someone
> my detector or money or truck or any damn thing I
> worked for cause they are threating me with
> violence and I'm in a place I have every right to
> be, I say HELL NO, you ain't getting nothing from
> me but a hard time, and I'll make it as hard as
> you want, it your choice.

Yep
February 16, 2015 06:01AM
deathray Wrote:
> u2robert Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Don't everybody? Just came back to this post to
> > edit, because i got to thinking about some of
> > these reply's?????????? As far as giving
> someone
> > my detector or money or truck or any damn thing
> I
> > worked for cause they are threating me with
> > violence and I'm in a place I have every right
> to
> > be, I say HELL NO, you ain't getting nothing
> from
> > me but a hard time, and I'll make it as hard as
> > you want, it your choice.
>
> Yep

Never leave yourself without options.......I would give up my wallet.....I would also give up my bullets...delivered at 1010 feet per second. Then I would retrieve my wallet.
February 16, 2015 10:55AM
Not carrying around here is the quickest way to becoming what they call a "victim". I refuse to willingly become a victim.

When I first started watching the TV show "Justified" about deputy US Marshall Raylan Givens and Harlan County, Kentucky. ...I thought they were doing a documentary on my county here. Lol Used to be it was the pot growers...now its pain killer pills and meth. People will do anything to get it once hooked on it. A guy I used to be on a deer hunting lease with got hooked on that poison and stole all his daddy's guns, sold what he could of them...then went and killed an elderly couple on their front porch with a shotgun. Just seen them out there enjoying life...and stopped and killed them. Took what little they had. Do you really think people like that give a rats hindend about you or have a conscious about it? No. They do not.
February 16, 2015 11:29AM
Lot of Internet tough guys here...

Got a cc permit and a Ruger 9mm but never carry When I detect.
Don't let a gun be a substitute for common sense and situational awareness.
February 16, 2015 11:36AM
ddmk6..Are you in Kalifornia? Dude,you know if you did that here in Kali, you would be in prison for life. Better shoot em while they are presenting a threat.
February 16, 2015 12:59PM
On several occasions ive been plowed over by some dumbasses dogs...one a pit bull,another was an english bulldog. The others i have no clue..the bulldog had his mouth open when he was airborn to my face..i seen him while he was in the air lunging at me..i leaned over just in time but got slobber all over left side of my face...had my ruger 9mm on my side but had my raptor 31 digger in my hand..i threw my headphones off stood up, kicked the dog off twice then yelled at the owner...he was yelling at the dog kind of.. I pulled up my shirt to show him my pistol and said do you love your dog? Then he decided to tackle his dog and leash him..i got in the guys face said what i had to say.. Turns out he owns the bar down town and he is a theif of a business man with bogus construction crews taking peoples money but never finishing any jobs..do you think anyone would have missed his sorry ass? I dont..he appearantly went to that park alot and allowed his dogs to run free alot and was an ass to people..he made everyone leave.. The soccer coach came and thanked me and to this day noone has seen him back..

Bill
Retired to southern Alabama.
February 16, 2015 01:01PM
Lot of Internet tough guys here...

Exactly!t No way do I shoot some young person over a detector. I could sleep very soundly after having a detector taken. I would never sleep right again after blowing someone away for a detector that my insurance will replace. And more than likely you will spend way more than a detector cost defending yourself in court trying to prove you had the right to take that person's life. I knew a guy that had a small country store here. He blew away a person with a shotgun that was trying to rob him with a knife. I met him between one of his hearings and said he should have given the entire store to the dude. It would have been cheaper. Don't forget there are civil suits as well. You better think with your brain and not that pistol. And if your first instinct is to pull and shoot then you don't belong carrying in the first place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2015 01:04PM by goodmore.
February 16, 2015 01:53PM
First off i dont think anyone will shoot someone over a detector lol. Call us fake tough guys or whatever lol. Its not about that...i ran a business in the city and was robbed 9 times in 4 years at gun point..bad neighborhood... Then i retired from the dept of rehab and corrections... You know what i learned?? People will first test your weekness and once that is established your life can change very quickly.. People that want to rob you or hurt you are lazy otherwise they would be working for the money so they dont really want to have to fight to get what they want..they want it easy.. A conceal carry doesn't give me the right to shoot you over a detector, but by being weak and giving them your property without any resistance , how do you know they wont follow you home knowing your a sucker and hurting your family?? I have read plenty of reports on why inmates were locked up and talked with many of them..they often would rob a person and or small store just to see how that person reacted then follow them home later , like weeks or months later to do home invasion... They prey on the weak.. Stand your ground and gain respect..

Bill
Retired to southern Alabama.
February 16, 2015 02:09PM
Bill, Bingo! You can try with bravado but you better be a good actor or they'll see right through you....they're not new at this. I also think if you are going to carry legally, courses and practice are necessary.
February 16, 2015 02:27PM
Well here's my thoughts on the subject in as nice of a way as I can say it.

If you seriously think somebody that approaches you that is hooked on dope and looking for a thrill or more dope is just gonna let you give a metal detector to them and let you walk away, no harm no foul...you obviously have not had any dealings with a dope addict. I'm not proud of it, but it is a fact that several people in my family are addicts and I have seen first hand the things they have done and what they have gone through to get more dope.

My mom's first cousin....which is my 2nd cousin...was with some friends one day. They got doped out of their mind and happened to be going down the road in a car. They saw a guy coming out of a church that was by himself. They decided to make sport of the guy. They pull into the parking lot. They all got out. Approached the guy...who was the pastor of the church and had been doing some work inside the church. They started with verbally assaulting the guy. When that didn't make him mad, he tried to get away from them and get in his car. They grabbed him and stopped him before he could get to it and began pushing him around trying to get him to fight. When he wouldn't...he started trying to give them everything of value he had on him. His watch. What money he had. He even offered to take them to the ATM to get more money out if that wasn't enough. Do you know what they did to him? They made him get down on his knees and told him to start praying. And my mom's cousin shot the man in the head with a pistol as he prayed to God. Then the 4 of them picked him up, put him in the truck of his car. Went to the gas station...got a jug of gas...went back to the church...poured gas all over the man's body in the trunk. And set his body on fire. And laughed about it. Do you know what they took from him? Not one red cent. They did it for the thrill. Just a random guy. When they came off their high, my 2nd cousin got scared and turned himself in. He plead guilty to murder, and was sent to prison. In which he was able to work out a deal by snitching on various people, and got a reduced sentence here and there and with good behavior...he served exactly 10 yrs and was released. He is walking free now. Let that sink in a while. He got high with some friends...picked a random guy that happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time...and killed him for fun. Then burned his body. Took nothing from him....served 10 yrs...and is walking free.

Would you like another?

My wife's first cousins were in town (the town I live in) at the grocery store one night. This was just a few yrs ago. Anyway, one cousin was old enough to drive, and was a guy, and had a younger sister that was 13 at the time. They had just ran to the store to get a few things their mom needed. No big deal right? Well as they were putting groceries in the car, two black males approached them and one had a knife and the other kept his hands in his pocket as if he had a pistol. They made them get in the car and they got in with them. They put the knife to the little girl's throat and made the guy drive. He followed their directions and they led him to a secluded area still in the city limits and not far from the store. Then they took the little girl and forced her to the back seat. While one of the men held the brother down....they took turns raping the girl. He tried to fight them when he saw what they were going to do but they beat him almost to the point of being dead and then stole his car after they finished raping the girl. The car was found later on but they still to this day haven't found the two guys that raped his sister.

Just last week, in a factory in town, a guy showed up with a pistol that had been feuding with one of the employees at the factory. He got into the plant and started shooting. He didn't hit anybody but still...

The point is...people out there are CRAZY and there are a lot of them. And not all of them are just out to rob you of your belongings. And they don't really care if you or anybody else gets hurt in the process.
February 16, 2015 02:29PM
I really don't think someone is going to walk up on me and simply say "will you give me you detector please?" Nor am I going to shoot someone running away with my machine say if I left it laying against my truck. Lot's of people gladly hand over their property without question only to get shot anyway.
February 16, 2015 02:59PM
Thanks Dan for a reality check of what is going on in our once great country. All you Sheeple better practice grabbing your ankles or learn to use your Brain from the ballot box to "git down" time.
February 16, 2015 04:09PM
in the UK 2 guys mugged a hunter for his ETRAC so it makes sense, but you cant carry a sidearm in the UK so he got 2 broken ribs and badly beaten up and lost his ETRAC
February 16, 2015 05:13PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> Not carrying around here is the quickest way to
> becoming what they call a "victim". I refuse to
> willingly become a victim.
>
> When I first started watching the TV show
> "Justified" about deputy US Marshall Raylan Givens
> and Harlan County, Kentucky. ...I thought they
> were doing a documentary on my county here. Lol
> Used to be it was the pot growers...now its pain
> killer pills and meth. People will do anything to
> get it once hooked on it. A guy I used to be on a
> deer hunting lease with got hooked on that poison
> and stole all his daddy's guns, sold what he could
> of them...then went and killed an elderly couple
> on their front porch with a shotgun. Just seen
> them out there enjoying life...and stopped and
> killed them. Took what little they had. Do you
> really think people like that give a rats hindend
> about you or have a conscious about it? No. They
> do not.

this is true!.."scary @#$%&",and they are EVERYWHERE!!
"and lead us not into temptation,but deliver us from evil!"

(h.h.!)
j.t.
February 16, 2015 05:23PM
Not to worry guys!! When "El Presidente" declares martial law and takes away all the "smoke poles", then we shall all be as safe as babes in our mothers arms! lol. Also too, we will have "hope and change" for years to come! No elections when "law" has commenced!
February 16, 2015 05:30PM
Its tough to defend against a psycho with a shotgun! Delusional people (watching MD TV shows?) seem to think we find gold and diamonds all day with our thousand dollar detectors and that doesn't help. I do my part by telling everyone who asks what I've found, "Pennies and trash". Living in California, packing heat is not an option if you are not a professional.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
February 16, 2015 05:49PM
Sorry to hear that it is so "tough " to live in California Past Tom, here in New Mex it is still the "Wild Wild West"!! I just can't wait till they legalize "pot" here, we have enough drugged up senior citizens (pharmaceuticals) on the roads the way it is! Where I work at we get drug tested all the time, still amazes me the amount of people that get caught!
February 16, 2015 05:49PM
goodmore Wrote:
> Lot of Internet tough guys here...
>
>
>
>
> Exactly!t No way do I shoot some young person over
> a detector. I could sleep very soundly after
> having a detector taken. I would never sleep right
> again after blowing someone away for a detector
> that my insurance will replace. And more than
> likely you will spend way more than a detector
> cost defending yourself in court trying to prove
> you had the right to take that person's life. I
> knew a guy that had a small country store here. He
> blew away a person with a shotgun that was trying
> to rob him with a knife. I met him between one of
> his hearings and said he should have given the
> entire store to the dude. It would have been
> cheaper. Don't forget there are civil suits as
> well. You better think with your brain and not
> that pistol. And if your first instinct is to pull
> and shoot then you don't belong carrying in the
> first place.

this is certainly true!..it is why unless your life is in immediate danger and you are being attacked ,then
lethal force is justified!..anything else,and you will wish you wasn't born.even then you have to prove your case in court,
and if there is legal doubt,you could still get screwed,just by attempting to save your own life!..i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.
February 16, 2015 05:54PM
Los Alamos Wrote:
> Not to worry guys!! When "El Presidente" declares
> martial law and takes away all the "smoke poles",
> then we shall all be as safe as babes in our
> mothers arms! lol. Also too, we will have "hope
> and change" for years to come! No elections when
> "law" has commenced!

what's this? don't you understand?..it's the gun!.and NOT
the person pulling the trigger!..no way there are any "crazies"
in this land who would kill you whether they had a gun ,or not!
what part of this you don't understand?..ehe! he! he! he!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
February 16, 2015 05:59PM
Pasttom Wrote:
> Its tough to defend against a psycho with a
> shotgun! Delusional people (watching MD TV
> shows?) seem to think we find gold and diamonds
> all day with our thousand dollar detectors and
> that doesn't help. I do my part by telling
> everyone who asks what I've found, "Pennies and
> trash". Living in California, packing heat is not
> an option if you are not a professional.

right! too many "goofies" out there is why!
its a "transient" state,and the government knows this,
and the reason why you can't protect yourself!
as you mention,too many f**ked up tv shows don't help!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
February 16, 2015 06:02PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> Well here's my thoughts on the subject in as nice
> of a way as I can say it.
>
> If you seriously think somebody that approaches
> you that is hooked on dope and looking for a
> thrill or more dope is just gonna let you give a
> metal detector to them and let you walk away, no
> harm no foul...you obviously have not had any
> dealings with a dope addict. I'm not proud of it,
> but it is a fact that several people in my family
> are addicts and I have seen first hand the things
> they have done and what they have gone through to
> get more dope.
>
> My mom's first cousin....which is my 2nd
> cousin...was with some friends one day. They got
> doped out of their mind and happened to be going
> down the road in a car. They saw a guy coming out
> of a church that was by himself. They decided to
> make sport of the guy. They pull into the parking
> lot. They all got out. Approached the guy...who
> was the pastor of the church and had been doing
> some work inside the church. They started with
> verbally assaulting the guy. When that didn't make
> him mad, he tried to get away from them and get in
> his car. They grabbed him and stopped him before
> he could get to it and began pushing him around
> trying to get him to fight. When he wouldn't...he
> started trying to give them everything of value he
> had on him. His watch. What money he had. He
> even offered to take them to the ATM to get more
> money out if that wasn't enough. Do you know what
> they did to him? They made him get down on his
> knees and told him to start praying. And my mom's
> cousin shot the man in the head with a pistol as
> he prayed to God. Then the 4 of them picked him
> up, put him in the truck of his car. Went to the
> gas station...got a jug of gas...went back to the
> church...poured gas all over the man's body in the
> trunk. And set his body on fire. And laughed
> about it. Do you know what they took from him?
> Not one red cent. They did it for the thrill.
> Just a random guy. When they came off their high,
> my 2nd cousin got scared and turned himself in.
> He plead guilty to murder, and was sent to prison.
> In which he was able to work out a deal by
> snitching on various people, and got a reduced
> sentence here and there and with good
> behavior...he served exactly 10 yrs and was
> released. He is walking free now. Let that sink
> in a while. He got high with some
> friends...picked a random guy that happened to be
> in the wrong place at the wrong time...and killed
> him for fun. Then burned his body. Took nothing
> from him....served 10 yrs...and is walking free.
>
> Would you like another?
>
> My wife's first cousins were in town (the town I
> live in) at the grocery store one night. This was
> just a few yrs ago. Anyway, one cousin was old
> enough to drive, and was a guy, and had a younger
> sister that was 13 at the time. They had just ran
> to the store to get a few things their mom needed.
> No big deal right? Well as they were putting
> groceries in the car, two black males approached
> them and one had a knife and the other kept his
> hands in his pocket as if he had a pistol. They
> made them get in the car and they got in with
> them. They put the knife to the little girl's
> throat and made the guy drive. He followed their
> directions and they led him to a secluded area
> still in the city limits and not far from the
> store. Then they took the little girl and forced
> her to the back seat. While one of the men held
> the brother down....they took turns raping the
> girl. He tried to fight them when he saw what they
> were going to do but they beat him almost to the
> point of being dead and then stole his car after
> they finished raping the girl. The car was found
> later on but they still to this day haven't found
> the two guys that raped his sister.
>
> Just last week, in a factory in town, a guy showed
> up with a pistol that had been feuding with one of
> the employees at the factory. He got into the
> plant and started shooting. He didn't hit anybody
> but still...
>
> The point is...people out there are CRAZY and
> there are a lot of them. And not all of them are
> just out to rob you of your belongings. And they
> don't really care if you or anybody else gets hurt
> in the process.

this is true,and why they are seriously "nuts"
mental illness is a "huge" issue!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
February 16, 2015 08:21PM
deathray Wrote:
> ddmk6..Are you in Kalifornia? Dude,you know if you
> did that here in Kali, you would be in prison for
> life. Better shoot em while they are presenting
> a threat.

Yes Ray, I'm in commiefornia. CCW permit and all. We have no problem getting CCW permits in my county provided you can qualify, have proper training and no legal issues. Plus the courts have ruled that in CA it is unconstitutional for any sheriff to deny a permit due to not having a good enough reason. you have the right to defend yourself. the only way one would get my wallet (or anything else) would be if they had a weapon. if they have a weapon, I have the right to defend myself if my life is in danger. I have the right to defend myself even if they don't have a weapon. a gun is always the very last choice. But I have comfort knowing I have the option. If your not willing to use it, you better not carry it. They will just take it from you and use it on you.

Kenny
February 16, 2015 10:19PM
I always legally carry (CCW). I also never take chances just because I am armed. If an area is unfamiliar to me, or shows cause for concern, I just keep driving. I detect to relax, and free my mind from a stressful world. To take chances would be contrary to the reason I am out there swinging in the first place. Life is going to change when you pull that trigger. I am very thankful that statistically I should never have to. Keep calm, and detect on... ;-)
February 16, 2015 10:25PM
My guns are for hunting and protecting my household. I've personally felt like the bad would out weigh the good of keeping one on me or in the truck for day to day. I have several friends who carry and go out of their way to let everyone know, at times obnoxiously. I brought a buddy out to place once who broke away from me and another guy and unloaded a clip on a black snake. I had the landowner blowing up my phone asking what was going on. It wasn't a good look and I laid into my buddy about it. Sometimes carrying is justified, I get it; however more often it's over compensation, paranoia, etc. Whatever it may be its important to remember as gun owners, detectorists, outdoorsman, whatever we have an image to project. Pulling a gun on someone is a very,very serious thing. If you're digging in an area THAT sketchy, either bring others or avoid it altogether. There are a lot of Dbags that frankly shouldn't carry and are helping the anti's agenda of taking them away from those of us with some sense.
February 16, 2015 10:33PM
My guns are for hunting and protecting my household. I've personally felt like the bad would out weigh the good of keeping one on me or in the truck for day to day. I have several friends who carry and go out of their way to let everyone know, at times obnoxiously. I brought a buddy out to place once who broke away from me and another guy and unloaded a clip on a black snake. I had the landowner blowing up my phone asking what was going on. It wasn't a good look and I laid into my buddy about it. Sometimes carrying is justified, I get it; however more often it's over compensation, paranoia, etc. Whatever it may be its important to remember as gun owners, detectorists, outdoorsman, whatever we have an image to project. Pulling a gun on someone is a very,very serious thing. If you're digging in an area THAT sketchy, either bring others or avoid it altogether. There are a lot of Dbags that frankly shouldn't carry and are helping the anti's agenda of taking them away from those of us with some sense

I struggle trying to put my thoughts into words sometimes but this post really hit it out of the park in my opinion. If you carry that is up to you and your right to do so. Please be careful either way.
February 16, 2015 10:39PM
Yep, I carry all the time now that I have a CHL. Too many nuts and druggies out there. I have left a few parks because the bad elements filtered in as the day wore on and evening approached, which tells me the bad is never far away. I will do everything possible to avoid confrontation, but if it goes bad, I will defend myself or my family.
February 16, 2015 10:44PM
goodmore Wrote:
> Lot of Internet tough guys here...
>
>
>
>
> Exactly!t No way do I shoot some young person over
> a detector. I could sleep very soundly after
> having a detector taken. I would never sleep right
> again after blowing someone away for a detector
> that my insurance will replace. And more than
> likely you will spend way more than a detector
> cost defending yourself in court trying to prove
> you had the right to take that person's life. I
> knew a guy that had a small country store here. He
> blew away a person with a shotgun that was trying
> to rob him with a knife. I met him between one of
> his hearings and said he should have given the
> entire store to the dude. It would have been
> cheaper. Don't forget there are civil suits as
> well. You better think with your brain and not
> that pistol. And if your first instinct is to pull
> and shoot then you don't belong carrying in the
> first place.

Nobody wants to shoot anyone. Hell dude just give them your wife and daughters too. If your scared say your scared. That's what stand your ground laws are for, can't be sued if your in the right, you must be from NY
February 16, 2015 11:21PM
I think I'll stop responding now. Wife and kids are not part of my detecting trips. I have guns and know when to use them. You sound like one of the nut jobs that should not have a gun. More like a terrified little girl who sees monsters around every tree. Must suck to be you.
February 16, 2015 11:56PM
I hear you goodmore......In my line of work I've seen the results of a non-justified shooting...the man was found not criminally accountable...but he was sued civilly.
He lost his business then his home due to legal bills and was sued for a half a million dollars...lost everything all because he felt he had the right to protect his property.
Which he did....was it a wise choice...I think his views have somewhat changed.
I'm all for protecting myself and family...you just have to weigh the cost when you engage someone with your gun.
I see a lot of bravado here on this subject...be safe but also use your brain.
You can replace a lot of property with a $500.000 and he had insurance....just saying smiling smiley
February 17, 2015 12:49AM
Approached several times on N.J. shores several times and they wanted all that I owned. I used a stout floral shovel for the beach which I could have used like the gladiators did with similar weapons and telling them the first guy gets his head taken off so they backed up and left....Indeed a shovel could do a lot of damage...Heck my Pa. credentials would not let me carry anyway...Again its a big responsibility so if you take you gun with you use it responsibly but again the buddy system is a good idea if in a rough area...