Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Do any of you guys pack heat when detecting certain areas?

Posted by possum mo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Do any of you guys pack heat when detecting certain areas?
February 17, 2015 01:53AM
I see this thread as a personal pref. Personally, I carry wherever I go. I hope to not have to pull it out and use it, but I would if I felt my life(or direct family) was in danger. I buy a lot of practice ammo and practice monthly with multiple side-arms, weather permitting. I don't judge those who wish NOT to carry, That's their choice. My closest people know I carry, but the vast majority does not. I can relate to what Daniel has said, Ive seen similar around my own "small town USA". In a town with a pop of around 6K there are gangs..... Jobs have not came back like the whiite house would like everyone to believe..... a lot of folks hooked on drugs that don't care if YOU make it home tonight.... people get desperate.....I have a friend who was mugged for his take-out container of food as he walked home, and then they beat him senseless for the helluvit (hes almost 60)... we are nothing but 'marks" to SOME.

IMO I have a right to be in public places without feeling the need to leave because I may be in a "bad spot". I don't feel the need to acclimate to any of them, they need to understand I have as much rights to be there as they do.....
February 17, 2015 02:29AM
ddmk6 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> deathray Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > ddmk6..Are you in Kalifornia? Dude,you know if
> you
> > did that here in Kali, you would be in prison
> for
> > life. Better shoot em while they are
> presenting
> > a threat.
>
>
> Yes Ray, I'm in commiefornia. CCW permit and all.
> We have no problem getting CCW permits in my
> county provided you can qualify, have proper
> training and no legal issues. Plus the courts
> have ruled that in CA it is unconstitutional for
> any sheriff to deny a permit due to not having a
> good enough reason. you have the right to defend
> yourself. the only way one would get my wallet
> (or anything else) would be if they had a weapon.
> if they have a weapon, I have the right to defend
> myself if my life is in danger. I have the right
> to defend myself even if they don't have a weapon.
> a gun is always the very last choice. But I have
> comfort knowing I have the option. If your not
> willing to use it, you better not carry it. They
> will just take it from you and use it on you.
>
> Kenny
I hear ya..Calaveras county here,sheriff Koontz believes in 2nd amendment. Was refering to shooting them after the fact. And If you know Stockton, you know how bad that place is.
February 17, 2015 03:20AM
You're less likely to encounter criminals today than in the past. Of course the data is for arrests ... you could still be a chalk outline and not make the stats if there is no arrest.

February 17, 2015 03:50AM
Wow interesting topic....

I will say my buddies and I detect some dicey areas in and around the bay area. (central-north central Calif.) This includes remote spots in heavy congested urban locations.
Some in known gang areas ect.... Can't speak too much to rural areas, but never had the instance to really want a gun.

This includes a situation where gun shots broke out in a park I was detecting. (albeit behind a temporary fence) It was just after dusk and decided to head the opposite direction and boogie out of there.
One run in with a mentally ill person... He yelled at me-I let him-and he walked away to yell at my buddy. winking smiley And that was it.

Basically it’s a huge judgment call for each spot. If the hairs on the back of my neck start up, I know I should move. (Happened only a few times) I’m friendly but not overtly so. If there are people hanging around doing gang stuff, they leave us alone. I think they figure if police drive by, they will be looking at the white guys detecting and not them!

You need to have some answers ready for the questions you know you will get. If someone asks what I am doing, I show them my trash bucket and that I am looking for old American coins. NEVER say your looking for gold and silver.
Some will ask if I am looking for gold. I just laugh and say “we’re in the wrong part of the country for that-Gold doesn’t grow in city parks!!” If your going to detect in heavy urban spots, you need to have thick skin and remember we are alien looking to those that never have seen us up close before.

I will say-The only situations I have had direct confrontations with armed individuals were… The police. smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley

Stay safe-Stay cool
February 17, 2015 03:59AM
Being aware of your surroundings and having tools in case of emergency is called being prepared. You can try to be condescending all you want but at the days end I'm gonna go home and be alive another day. Sticking your head in the sand and pretending bad things don't happen doesn't take away the fact that bad things happen. The way a couple of you sound from your posts, you must have been the nerd in school that gave the bullies your lunch money everyday to keep from being beat up. Too afraid to stand up for yourself because of what consequences you might face from the teachers or principal for doing so. Easier to just give up your lunch money every day huh?

Well today's thugs ain't interested in taking your lunch money every day and letting you be until the next time. You need to get it through your heads...it ain't about protection of properties. It's about taking control of the situation to ensure you come home at the days end.

For what it's worth...I had one encounter with a bully in grammar school. He was in 5th grade when I was in 3rd grade. I finally had enough of his crap and busted his nose all over his face. Guess how many more problems I had with bullies in grammar school? Zip. Yeah I got into a little trouble for fighting but it was worth not having to deal with hiding and dodging and ducking all those years.
February 17, 2015 04:10AM
CyberSage Wrote:
> I always legally carry (CCW). I also never take
> chances just because I am armed. If an area is
> unfamiliar to me, or shows cause for concern, I
> just keep driving. I detect to relax, and free my
> mind from a stressful world. To take chances would
> be contrary to the reason I am out there swinging
> in the first place. Life is going to change when
> you pull that trigger. I am very thankful that
> statistically I should never have to. Keep calm,
> and detect on... ;-)

excellent point!.and 'dead nuts" accurate!
unless your life is in immediate danger,and you are being attacked,
do NOT show,and use your piece!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
February 17, 2015 05:27AM
Daniel not being condescending in the least. I am offering one prospective with strict regards to metal detecting only in congested urban areas. Oh yeah these same areas have produced 100's of murders every year. (I'm sure most here on the forum have the same murder numbers in their areas too) I am very well aware of that fact to be sure.

I am not talking about other areas that I frequent 99% of the time. In the past for work and difficult living situations, my 9mm was a tool I had and aside from target practice, never had to fire it in defense.
My current work I have several individuals that carry and I am darn glad they do. But I also know that most of the murders these idiots commit are drug/gang related.
I understand fully bad stuff can happen anywhere - anytime... And if the thread starter did not limit the question to metal detecting, then I would be having an entirely different conversation here.

For me to fire off a gun in a crowded park, (in the context I was referring too above in my first post) possibly killing innocent woman and children is something I would really have to be prepared to live with before I entered that situation. Yes I know if somebody went on a bloody park rampage, and I had a chance to stop it, I would for sure be ever kicking myself for not having a means to stop it. But what the thread is directing this towards is Direct one on one confrontation.

Hmmm.... I have the opportunity this year to get trained again on small weapons (been 12 years-I'm a bit rusty!) with a buddy and ex sheriffs.... Maybe time I stop putting it off since I may be here another year or so.

Anyway from what I am reading on these previous posts, you all are in much worse areas for sure than I am, and sadly our country is going the way of many others... In the wrong direction.
Maybe I have been slower to come around than others... I do hope the next 4/8 years is led by someone who believes in the USA and what we used to stand for.
February 17, 2015 10:03AM
Yep I agree it is probably more sense to have things per the area you live. I don't think people in Alaska would need a tornado shelter but people in the heart of Tornado alley will all have one or some form of one. It's not for protection for their belongings. ..but for themselves. Same goes for guns and carrying. I live in what was statistically the #2 most dangerous cities in Tennessee to live in. Considering my town is small...and had more crime per capita than Memphis, Knoxville, Chattanooga, etc....well you don't have to look far to see the bad stuff. Notice the stories I said weren't hearsay tales that I read about or saw on the news...they were involving family members in my direct family and people I know personally. My dad is the only one of 7 siblings that hasn't been in jail for drugs or theft. I'm the only one of my cousins from his side of the family that ain't got a record or felony to my name. Not proud of the family history but I do know how druggies are and what they are capable of.
February 17, 2015 12:07PM
Daniel gonna take a guess here Jackson or Humboldt?? I live in Jackson and I think we topped the list but not sure. If not we are close. Which is sad 25 years ago Jackson was a great place to live, play, raise a family etc. not sure what happened. I have my theories and can elaborate later
February 17, 2015 09:45PM
I have a concealed carriers permit & don't carry a gun when digging. I figure if I can't defend myself with the entrenching shovel I can't with a gun. But I have the option.
February 18, 2015 08:52AM
Digger70pa Wrote:
> I have a concealed carriers permit & don't carry a
> gun when digging. I figure if I can't defend
> myself with the entrenching shovel I can't with a
> gun. But I have the option.

understandable,however,again,better to have than to have not!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
February 18, 2015 03:46PM
Digger70pa Wrote:
> I have a concealed carriers permit & don't carry a
> gun when digging. I figure if I can't defend
> myself with the entrenching shovel I can't with a
> gun. But I have the option.
As the old saying goes " Don't bring a shovel to a gun fight" LOL.
February 18, 2015 07:12PM
I sometimes carry my dad's .357 magnum that Dirty harry uses. And a 13.5" bowie knife that Crocodile Dundee uses.
February 18, 2015 07:14PM
Actually, 2 or 3 years ago, in Julian CA, a detectorist went to a GPAA(gold prospectors assoc. of America) claim and crossed private property. The owner got mad, and a 30 minute shootout occurred, hospitalizing the land owner, and nearly killing the prospector.
February 18, 2015 08:42PM
rexy Wrote:
> I sometimes carry my dad's .357 magnum that Dirty
> harry uses. And a 13.5" bowie knife that Crocodile
> Dundee uses.

Dirty Harry carried a model 29 S&W 44 magnum.
Re: I carry all the time
February 19, 2015 04:48AM
Streak! Wrote:
> I HATE it, but the way things are today I feel I
> have no choice. Lotsa bad stuff out there. Way
> things are though you just might be better off
> getting your butt kicked and robbed than having to
> shoot someone. I wouldn't even think of pulling
> mine unless I had absolutely no choice and either
> my life or a family members life was in imminent
> danger. Don't brandish it.... ever.......keep it
> well hidden......practice with
> it................and only use it as a last
> resort. If mine comes out of its holster its
> because I HAVE to shoot someone. Its a big
> responsibility.

Concealed Carry came up at work and one of my work mates who is in his early thirties used to be a little more wild in his early 20s. Said if he had carried then he would be dead. He had been stabbed, cut and hit with a blunt object but he lived if a gun had been involved it would change the whole situation and truly believes he would of been dead. I guess I feel someone who tries to rob me does not deserve to be shot and killed. So only in the times I truly feel a person is going to kill me would killing them seem justified even then if I can get away then that is what I would do.

Another coworker feels anytime he is threatened and the person has a weapon that could do him bodly harm he will shoot to kill. - he says you never know what their intentions are so you have to protect yourself. I kind of understand the logic just not what I would choose to do.

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
Smile its a good for you!
February 19, 2015 07:37AM
I have a CCW permit and in many areas I carry when I detect. I'm glad to say it has been totally unnecessary up to this point. I also carry pepper spray in one of my pouch compartments for varmint protection. Happily, it too has never been necessary.

I'm not paranoid enough to believe that I will probably need my firearm some day. I'm also not enough of a Pollyanna to think I probably won't.

But I am a big believer in playing the odds and I do the best I can to reduce the odds of ever needing my handgun when I'm enjoying the hobby.

The safest thing would be to avoid detecting altogether. The second safest thing would be avoiding higher crime areas. But the vise grip of my addiction won't allow for either of those alternatives.

So any dicier areas get hit early in the morning, and usually during colder weather. There are some areas that I won't go to without a partner. Most importantly, I carry myself with an air of confidence. That certainly doesn't guarantee I won't ever be messed with. But, again, it reduces the odds because criminals who have so little disregard for another human life that they would rob you at gunpoint are basically wild animals. And wild animals prey on the weak.

I keep 360 degree vigilance and am constantly aware of my surroundings. And I always take off at least one earcup during retrievals.

If you don't carry a firearm and get robbed, or if you get complacent and someone gets the drop on you, the best odds of getting out alive are to give the robber what he wants. This talk about giving up your possessions and then being killed anyway is nonsense. Of course it happens, but that's a small percentage of the time. Usually you are being robbed by a drug addict who is interested in taking what you have and getting away ASAP without being caught. Your odds of survival are significantly greater when you give the thief what he wants as opposed to playing Rambo.
February 19, 2015 02:49PM
Marcomo makes some Excellent points and if heeded will serve anyone well.
February 19, 2015 09:10PM
I've already posted my opinion but boy to be in a place, physically or emotionally, where you feel no concern about what some crazy might do. Must be nice. Here in the TN hills when someone comes into your house or approaches you while detecting in the middle of the woods or in the backside of a 300 acre cornfield with an aggressive look on their face, they aren't going away with talk. There's no one but you and them for a mile or more..... You'd better be confident in what you're capable of because they sure are. And they're licking their lips.

I remember when I lived in Houston with it's crime rate I was far less concerned about people, just too many escape routes and they are on a timetable....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2015 09:11PM by BHMACK.
February 20, 2015 05:19AM
Thanks Doc for the kind words.

Hopefully all on this forum will stay safe out there.
February 27, 2015 02:09AM
I stopped at the county sheriffs offfice to make an appointment to get the permit, and they are backed up 5 weeks. I hate to see what the wait will be when things really start to get crazy.
February 27, 2015 02:31AM
We have open carry here in Ks. if I wanted to, could pack my .44 cal. RedHawk.
February 27, 2015 02:53PM
Guys and Gals we live in the ONLY country in the world where a citizen has our 2nd Amendment rights and with our rights comes Heavy responsibility so lets Always remember to be aware that WE are the ones who must show our meeker fellow citizens that we are responsible people who exercise our and their rights for self protection. An armed society is a polite society so lets always remember to be respectful of our fellow citizens.
I wear heat packs
February 28, 2015 03:25PM
it's cold up here , in my gloves and boots, hehe
March 01, 2015 04:11PM
doc holiday Wrote:
> Guys and Gals we live in the ONLY country in the
> world where a citizen has our 2nd Amendment rights
> and with our rights comes Heavy responsibility so
> lets Always remember to be aware that WE are the
> ones who must show our meeker fellow citizens that
> we are responsible people who exercise our and
> their rights for self protection. An armed society
> is a polite society so lets always remember to be
> respectful of our fellow citizens.

Good reply Doc, Especially the "An armed society is a polite society " remark. I am always more careful and go out of my way to try to defuse a situation IF I am carrying than if I am not, because I know the repercussion's of any altercation will be greater if a gun comes into play. Also, it doesn't take much to have a permit revoked, your fault or not. I am much more polite and forgiving if I am carrying. The weapon is a tool of last resort, NOT a bargaining tool.
I also take a bit of issue with Marcomo's " This talk about giving up your possessions and then being killed anyway is nonsense" remark. If it is indeed "nonsense" Marcomo, where are the stats to back that up? And, HOW do we tell the true intent of the perp? There are and will continue to be a lot of initiation ( gang related) killings that happen just for the hell of it. If you would share your method of us being able to tell the difference between just your every day robbery, and a life threatening situation? I'd be all ears if you could share that with me. I know what human nature is, and have experienced it first hand. I will continue assume that anyone robbing me, harassing me or threatening me has nefarious intentions until they prove otherwise. For those that want to bend over and apply lube of they are accosted, good luck with that. Your going to need it.
I would liken this whole thread to our country's response to Radical Islamic terrorism. There is only one thing they (the bad guys) understand and will respond to. Superior force, testicular fortitude and firepower. simply put, safety thru strength. History bears this out. Anything else and they will sense weakness, and they WILL respond in a bad way.
March 02, 2015 06:54AM
Being in L.E. gives me a bit of perspective. The most impotant thing is situational awareness. You can't defend yourself against something you don't know is there.

If someone pulls a gun on you, give him what he wants, no quetions asked. However, one doesn't know if this person is high on drugs and will not act in a rational manner. That's the danger. I'm not willing to put my life in the hands of some junkie in the hope that he will do me no harm once he has my stuff.

My third point is that just having a weapon is not enough. Train, train, train. Learn to pull it out smoothly and think about what circumstances you would do so.

Your best weopon is between your ears.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2015 09:56PM by Detectorist.
March 02, 2015 08:46AM
Streak, I certainly agree with you about not being able to divine the intentions of someone holding a gun on you. And I'm sure we would both agree about using self-defense to avoid being put in that position.

But if the #1 intent was to kill then why not shoot first and rob later?

If you want to look up the stats, you will find most people who would pull a gun on you to rob you are drug addicts looking for money to support their habit(s). As I said before, typically (but not always) that addict wants your money and to get away with as little attention drawn to him as possible.

If someone is holding a gun on you for whatever reason, they have the upper hand. Giving up your possessions in that scenario does not mean bending over and applying the lube as you put it. If you have let someone get in the position where they are holding a gun on you, you are screwed. At that point, you have to decide what is your best chance for survival. If you try to take that gun away, they are probably going to shoot at you. Through any combination of luck and skill you might come out on top, but you are more likely to be shot than if you give up what the criminal wants.

Again, if you want stats, pick any jurisdiction large enough to have a representative sampling and compare the number of reported robberies to the number of victims shot during robberies.
March 03, 2015 01:57AM
[www.goodreads.com]--- Thank god for those who carry, and also for the fence and both sides of it! Really like that first quote, history bears out proof that kissing the hand turns into kissing something else? Love reading the "armed citizen" in American Hunter magazine & there is some nice ones in this post! & HH
March 03, 2015 03:14AM
Bryannagirl Wrote:
> Streak! Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I HATE it, but the way things are today I feel
> I
> > have no choice. Lotsa bad stuff out there. Way
> > things are though you just might be better off
> > getting your butt kicked and robbed than having
> to
> > shoot someone. I wouldn't even think of pulling
> > mine unless I had absolutely no choice and
> either
> > my life or a family members life was in
> imminent
> > danger. Don't brandish it.... ever.......keep
> it
> > well hidden......practice with
> > it................and only use it as a last
> > resort. If mine comes out of its holster its
> > because I HAVE to shoot someone. Its a big
> > responsibility.
>
> Concealed Carry came up at work and one of my work
> mates who is in his early thirties used to be a
> little more wild in his early 20s. Said if he had
> carried then he would be dead. He had been
> stabbed, cut and hit with a blunt object but he
> lived if a gun had been involved it would change
> the whole situation and truly believes he would of
> been dead. I guess I feel someone who tries to rob
> me does not deserve to be shot and killed. So
> only in the times I truly feel a person is going
> to kill me would killing them seem justified even
> then if I can get away then that is what I would
> do.
>
> Another coworker feels anytime he is threatened
> and the person has a weapon that could do him
> bodly harm he will shoot to kill. - he says you
> never know what their intentions are so you have
> to protect yourself. I kind of understand the
> logic just not what I would choose to do.

How do you know if the person pointing a gun at you is intending to use it? Would you draw your gun if you had the chance to?
March 03, 2015 07:04PM
If anyone points a gun at me, thats where I draw the line. I will look to distract them, and take em out. None of this " I hope he doesn't shoot," or" I hope its not loaded," or" I hope his gun malfunctions" or " I bet he is really a good person when he is not pointing guns at people", crap. I will look to take that person out. That is legal here in Mo. And that sucker will be toast If I can help it!
HH