Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Gary's Makro Racer UK review.

Posted by Ziggy 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Gary's Makro Racer UK review.
February 15, 2015 07:29PM
[youtu.be]

Don't sound like the headphones are up to much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2015 04:51PM by Ziggy.
Re: Gary's Makro Racer UK review.
February 15, 2015 07:43PM
I also considered to get the wireless headphones with the detector, but they seemed so expensive, so in the end i didnt get them. I have Detectorpro nugget busters and they sound good with this detector.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2015 07:43PM by Etsija82.
February 15, 2015 07:46PM
The detector sounds really sparky. I want to see Gary use the small coil. That is the reason I am getting one.
February 15, 2015 07:54PM
Gary said, that the detector doent have a good modulated audio..but my Makro racer modulated audio does work fine and it will tell me, that i have a deeper target in the ground. Maybe he put the gain too high and the modulated audio gets too strong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2015 07:56PM by Etsija82.
February 15, 2015 08:11PM
Hi,,,The video is useless to me cause I can't do videos....Tom has already reported on the modulated audio and where to set it to get the best modulated audio out of the machine.........Next..........JJ
February 15, 2015 08:30PM
GARY: you mad bro??
February 15, 2015 08:40PM
jimmyjiver Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi,,,The video is useless to me cause I can't do
> videos....

Why not... Is your computer so ancient, that it cannot display anything but videos filmed with a potato?grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2015 08:41PM by Etsija82.
February 15, 2015 08:45PM
I watched the review video. I have seen some others this gent Gary has done. This particular video seemed a bit strange. For starters why would you start your review with an add on (wireless headsets)?? Why not start with the basics and then progress forwards with the add ons/luxury items? And he never did really spend much time explaining the 2 processes 2 tone/3Tone, never talked about its separation abilities the small coil, or the optional 5x10" coil. Really just complained about the wireless, plugged in headhones turned on, dug a couple and done. A pi?? poor review I think. Great he pointed out deficiency with wireless headphones, but where was the positive stuff??????????? Like he did the review because he had to, versus he wanted to. Ashamed really. That's why we have Keith, Tom D, and Steve H. We're lucky maybe!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2015 08:46PM by tnsharpshooter.
February 15, 2015 08:54PM
After all the excitement about this detector on this forum and others, the review was kind of a let down. He poured praise on the Nokta Fors CoRe and the Racer seemed to be a red headed step-child especially after the coil bolt broke and the wireless headphones were less than exciting. He did say he was going to give it a go on another review of the Racer, maybe the next review will shine some good or bad light on it.
February 15, 2015 09:17PM
It's significant that this (from what I have seen of Gary's reviews.....and he seems like a nice guy) review is not as positive as the review of past detectors. I AM concerned about his take on the lack of a modulated audio. A modulated audio is very helpful to my style of detecting (if you can call it that). I have already laid cash down for a Racer. But heack, I might just add some more to it and get a Deus with 11 inch coil and the WS5 headphones. I see ALOT of those at the CW area that I hunt. Them guys are out finding stuff!!!
Anyway, thanks Ziggy, for starting this thread. Since it's so blamed cold and ice is on the way, we can use this time to 'review the review'.
As a sidethought......I AM starting to form an opinion about the Racer's release. Here it is: Are ya ready? Good.....here goes: The Racer is a detector that is designed to compete with the Big Boys but at a mid-boys price. Brilliant in it's logic.
I guess that I was wanting more and more depth. Actually, in my soil......the XP Deus (with 9 inch coil) would hit a ten inch dime with a clear hi tone. No numbers but I have long since given up on ID numbers at depth.
February 15, 2015 09:33PM
Yes I do not like the Bluetooth headphones...they have a weird buzz in them..

and you feel disconnected from the hunt..

I told the factory about the buzz and latency..maybe they can tweek on them..

Im not a fan anyways ..never had a problem with a 3 ft cord..

a wireless audio needs to be prorprietary..not Blutetooth..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
February 15, 2015 09:42PM
Hi Etsija82,,"Why not... Is your computer so ancient, that it cannot display anything but videos filmed with a potato?".....No the main reason is I'm very poor and can not afford (cable etc.) or anything else, let alone a new machine.....I had no idea a potato could do film, we ate our last one the other night so I can't test it out...I will test it out when I can afford to buy a bag of them.....Thanks for your concern.....JJ
February 15, 2015 10:14PM
jimmyjiver Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Etsija82,,"Why not... Is your computer so
> ancient, that it cannot display anything but
> videos filmed with a potato?".....No the main
> reason is I'm very poor and can not afford (cable
> etc.) or anything else, let alone a new
> machine.....I had no idea a potato could do film,
> we ate our last one the other night so I can't
> test it out...I will test it out when I can afford
> to buy a bag of them.....Thanks for your
> concern.....JJ

Egg and chips,... the finest form of simple eating!

I tried TDK headphones for a while and they functioned great. No lag, decent tones.
However an essential part in the wireless thing is the integration with the detector.

If the detector doesn't show headphone battery status,... sooner or later you're going to be swinging a quiet stick for a while.
Then as you finally figured out the problem.

Well,... cables don't need charging :-)

HH
Johnb
February 15, 2015 10:30PM
Let's face it. As far as hype goes this detector just could not live up to it. This has been the most hyped detector to come down the road in quite a while. But Gary really admires the Fors Core. At least I think he did in his review. This is the same features in a cheaper and better ergo package. So it's a no brainer. I could have said I told you so, but Bluetooth audio on the cheap is just not ready for prime time. I looked into it with my home audio. I looked into with other headphones for detectors. For good audio the compression just kills it. XP has the best wireless audio . PERIOD! I have good wired headphones and I really don't mind the wire. At least Makro did not mix the headphones in with the pro pack. So we are not paying for them if we don't want them. I look forward to using the Racer and I'm sure I'll make some finds with it. I might even try it as a dry sand hunter.
February 16, 2015 01:15AM
I think it was a great review..Short..but at least we know the headphones and cheap coil bolts are something to consider...this is the kind of stuff I want to hear when considering a new detector...JJ... If you need potatoes...Just let me know
No wonder about the modulation or lack of in the video
February 16, 2015 01:24AM
When I saw him dig up that huge old large penny, I'm thinking, yes it had some depth to it. But to say the Racer has lack of modulation, on that target I say "Not Hardly". Most of my detectors on the large cent at that depth would be giving me a loud "bright" signal as Gary would call such a signal. Go Figure, I'm confused about that part of the video, I thought a person would expect a loud signal on that honker coin!!
February 16, 2015 01:42AM
Well if the coil bolt was hollow as said, it was an air bubble in the injection molding of it. Seen it many times on all kind of stuff. The headphones, just use wired for best sound. "All" detectors sound much better when wired to the headphones. However it did find him a couple of good targets in the testing field. Met his OK for a good detector. The great thing is this is good on the spot reviewing for a company that wants you to run their detectors. They are proving it right in front of our eye's. Get that out of any other detector company in business today..................It ain't gonna happen.
February 16, 2015 03:28AM
It seems to me a cheaper version of the Co Re maybe on the same level but may not hold up now you have to wonder about the F19 and how it stacks up to this machine...now I am thinking Co Re. So it doesn't hurt the company it just might and I say might sell a few less racers. Gary seems to really like the Co Re and he is right about the pin pointer it is a pain to turn off and on....

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2015 04:19AM by Lawrenzo.
February 16, 2015 04:04AM
I'm not a business person per se, but I can see where Nokta/Makro may have some problems. They have merged recently and I feel they need to take one of the names Nokta or Makro and run with it or create/get a new name altogether. I say this because folks are easily confused when you try and explain where one can purchase their detectors. And I admit, it's confusing and doesn't make much sense from a business standpoint or a customer's standpoint. The same can be said when you are trying to explain to someone i.e. the Racer unit is like/similar to the CoRe unit. Their recent detectors epitomize the KISS principle, so should the overall business and distribution/sales of their merchandise inside the USA and around the world.(Sorta reminds me of Chevrolet trucks vs GMC trucks)??? I applaud them for turning the Racer loose so we could see it in action before the official release. Gutsy move and shows confidence and allows constructive criticism. I also commend Mr Thomas Dankowski for allowing Dilek, Makro/Nokta sales/marketing representative, to communicate with us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2015 04:10AM by tnsharpshooter.
A private message reply I gave on the Racer
February 16, 2015 05:05AM
I like it better than the Core now ...better display info...same endpoint...

Theres nothing cheaper about the Racer Vs the CoRe..different ergonomics... but same type performance.

I could pick them both apart...but actually I could pick alot machines apart....DEUS CTX F75 AT Pro.MXT ...they all have quirky problems..

What's funny though till somone one mentions the problems most will never Know they are there...

Im not talking about mechanical things... but actual stumbling issues of the units...

Rest assured the Racer is very good at what it does for the money..

Is it new alien tech area 51,,, best thing since sliced bread? NO!!!

stay foucused on what it does do,,, not what it does not do..((SIMPLICITY))

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
Re: A private message reply I gave on the Racer
February 16, 2015 11:12AM
Hello all! Just wanted to comment on a few things on Gary's video:

Regarding the coil bolts – the testing units we sent were from our pilot run and we saw the issue with the coil bolts (not all but some do have an issue) …so we are actually changing the material of them.
And because we do not want to delay the shipments because of the bolts, we are adding an extra FORS coil bolt in the packages -which we had no issues with so far- for the time being.

BT Headphones - We are waiting on a few more reports on the performance as we have controversial feedbacks. But as you all know, the BT headphones are optional and the primary focus here is the detector itself and its performance. This does not mean in any way, of course, that if there is any issue with the BT headphones, it will be overlooked. So far, whatever has been reported is due to the limitations of the current technologies. We are also working on proprietary design headphones for the future models.

We are letting all the testers and reviewers write their comments as they wish because as a company we are confident that we launched a very good detector at a very good price. As all manufacturers do, we may also make mistakes. We do test everything mechanically and electronically but sometimes there may be things that we do not come across. That is why we let people test and state their opinions openly so nothing is a secret and we also keep you updated with the results and our actions.

Thank you all!
February 16, 2015 12:01PM
Your doing it the right way Dilek.No worries. Any idea on when the gold racer may come out? Ray
February 16, 2015 12:35PM
i was expecting the BT headphones to be a let down and thats a deal breaker after the WS5s and the deus 11 coil
although the deus TID needs improving on accuracy
February 16, 2015 12:50PM
In my quest to go wireless I actually purchased the exact same Phillips headphones that are being used by Makro on the new Racer. I found the headphones to be lightweight, and comfortable; however, when used with a small A2DP bluetooth transmitter there was simply too much lag to be usable for metal detecting purposes. The headphones themselves can be used wired or wireless having a 3.5 stereo imput jack so you can use them in a wired configuration. When used in a wired configuration these headphones acatually sound quite nice without the noticable buzz reported by Keith and Gary. I have used these headphones on many occasions with my Deus by attaching the Backphone module to the headphones with Sticky back velcro and running a small patch cord from the Deus module to the 3.5mm imput jack on the Phillips headphones and I have no complaints regarding their comfort or audio quality. Nevertheless, having to use them wired negates their sole purpose.
When I first saw pictures of the Phillips headphones being shipped with the racer I was a little worried there might be a problem. Its nice to see the guys at Nokta/Makro are listening to the field testers comments and admitting they are not perfect. Thanks Nokta/Macro, you guys are certainly on the right track to success. YOU GUYS ROCK!
February 16, 2015 01:15PM
I have several plastic/nylon Makro nut/bolt sets. Tested all of them. Zero problems on this end.
February 16, 2015 04:32PM
So the company responds...who does that these days..I have to say that is very cool for them to have learned a few things from what we are not doing in the USA and I hope the US big compaines learn that there is nothing wrong with hearing feed back from users. Hey Gary kind of did slam the machine it looked like he got up on the wrong side of the bed that morning. And they take the good and the bad and don't hide...again where did they learn about how to be a really good company...from us. So I'm cool with them and I think Gary should do another video when he is in a good mood.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
February 16, 2015 06:40PM
Yeah that is very good of Makro to take onboard comments raised, hats off to them for doing so.
February 16, 2015 09:02PM
Wow, a company that doesn't immediately go on the defensive and attack the end user. Must be something to these Turks. Refreshing!
February 16, 2015 10:15PM
Customer: I have this problem.
First Texas: There are no problems. Next question.
February 16, 2015 10:23PM
Bluetooth headphones use a compression technique with a delay. I've found that the non-Bluetooth KLEER technology in 2.4GHz works reliably with no discernible delay. I've found only 3 headphones with small xmitters available suitable for detecting ... not much to choose from.