Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

oldies but goodies (outstanding detectors)

Posted by ncwayne 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
oldies but goodies (outstanding detectors)
February 20, 2015 02:43PM
Hombre prompted me to start this thread when he commented in another thread:
"the White's Classic IDX is a great metal detector, you would be doing yourself a favor if you keep it over one of those foreign overseas jobs!"

Some of us here (ME) don't know what we've missed by not having used some of the oldies but goodies detectors such as the White's Classic IDX mentioned above.

Please chime in here with your oldies but goodies, and share with us (ME) what was exceptional about it/them and if they are still in the hunt compared to modern detectors.

Hombre, tell me more about the White's Classic IDX...

TIA for sharing.

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
Re: oldies but goodies (outstanding detectors)
February 20, 2015 03:46PM
I agree. I wish I hadn't got rid of mine. I got rid of it when my Sovereign detected an 11" deep Indian Head and the IDX couldn't hear it. Later I knew I made a stupid mistake.

Rick, N. MI
Tejon, 1236x2, SurfMaster 2 vlf
February 20, 2015 04:37PM
Got an old Nautillus llB that found me a lot of relics. Need to get the coil balanced and do a little TLC. Joe lively (author of time travelor) gave it to me as a teenager. He said Jerry Tyndall tweaked it to be its absolute hottest on a coat button for him.

At the time I didn't fully understand the little nuances of how to set it up. I mainly just Used the disc tone and didnt have an understanding of the all metal side.
February 20, 2015 04:55PM
ncwayne,

I would be more than happy to talk about the better analog metal detectors from the great companies like White's and Tesoro. I will also add that I came to the conclusion that an analog 2 filter detector is better in the iron trash when my wife bought our first Tesoro (Toltec ll) while I had the digital/analog White's XLT back in 1994/95.
..I was late into the computer based Metal Detecting Forums, probably around 2005 or so before I found one, I'm computer illiterate....lol... One particular forum that I found was Finds Mall and one poster on the Tesoro and White's forum that stuck out was Monte from Oregon, he is an IDX Pro and Bandido fan. I had to agree with his thoughts after I had my butt handed to me by a friend that had a stock IDX Pro. We were hunting in an old turn of the century fairgrounds that was now a plowed wheat field. My friend with the IDX Pro run circles around my "upgraded" DFX because of the iron contamination at this spot, my DFX was shutdown by all of the iron nails. He ended the day with a complete Barber silver set, dime,quarter, half compared to my one corroded V nickel and he was using the stock 950 coil.
..After that learning experience, I soon found a new in the box IDX Pro that had the Mr.Bill's modification. The Mr. Bill mod ads an external Threshold and Ground Balance knob which is handy when running into extreme ground mineral changes or just changing coils. I have to add that the ground handling of the IDX Pro in my mild mineral soil is very forgiving, only needing adjustment when changing coils. I could do without the modification by using the factory drilled hole through the control housing and adjusting the small GB pot inside.
..I really do not know what you want explained other than the IDX Pro is a lot like the Tesoro Bandido in it's operating characteristics. That being the slow sweep speed requirement with a fast response and quick recovery speed, great in the iron nails. The IDX Pro is a very simple machine to operate after it is set up, just turn on and go, I usually do a quick GB check by pulling the trigger operated all-metal function and bobbing the coil a couple of times. Maxed out sensitivity and off i go. It is void of the usual bells and whistles like battery strength indication (50+ hours) and depth meter (raise the coil) It has an 8 segment TID meter that is very stable and good to the fringe depth of the audio.
February 20, 2015 05:30PM
I'll add the Garrett Freedom 2 because I flat wore one out hunting old yards in Kansas City during the 1980s. I got to where I could recognize the tiniest clicks as deep coins and dig old Wheaties, Indian Heads and Barber silver. I loved hunting with that machine.
February 20, 2015 06:19PM
My hunting buddy (and friend) used to use a Fisher 1270. He says that it is acting up now and after a few minutes......starts falsing like crazy!!! I advised him to call Fisher Labs. Just curious, does Fisher Labs still work on Fisher 1270's??? I figured that someone here might have sent one in and wondered what the response was. As for me, I got into the hobby too late to be interested in the oldies. But I'm not above it. If I caught a Troy Shadow X5 at a stupendously good deal .....I would likely snatch it up.
February 21, 2015 01:13AM
bandido and sovereign.
February 21, 2015 01:24AM
Bounty Hunter Red Baron

Tesoro Pantera

Gold Mountian Technologies 1650

Wilson Relic and Coin Series

Treasure Baron with Gold Trax module

Nautilus DMC original train whistle and the later DMC 2B(BOOSTED)

Whites Blue and Gray with volume control

Green metal box Musketeer

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
February 21, 2015 01:30AM
I want a Tesoro Pantera...just because Pantera is one of my all time favorite bands,lol. WALK ON HOME BOY!
February 21, 2015 01:44AM
deathray Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I want a Tesoro Pantera...just because Pantera is
> one of my all time favorite bands,lol. WALK ON
> HOME BOY!

LoL

Are you talkin to ME!?

What it takes, who I am, where I've been!

RE - SPECT, walk

Run your mouth when I'm not around
It's easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
Can you hear the violins playing your song?

Oh - I almost forgot!

5900's
1266x
Hunter Vlf/TR
any CZ

and a few others

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2015 01:47AM by MichiganRelicHunter.
February 21, 2015 02:09PM
The old Garrett Deep Seeker circa 1974/5---found over 100 CW cannon projectiles and thousands of minie' balls over 20 years with it. When it would go over a shell the whole machine would vibrate from that loooong looooow huuuuuuuuuum. Man to do it all over again. Still have it,but it needs work bad and Garrett says it's too old,like me.
February 21, 2015 03:46PM
One of my all time favorites is the Tesoro Eldorado.
February 26, 2015 08:17PM
Thanks to all responders. I especially appreciated the remarks some made about their experiences with these classics.
Any body else?

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
February 27, 2015 02:39PM
Check out this site, [treasurelinx.com]

I had a friend that had most of these detectors, some were really good, such as the newman coin select, very deep, the read heat xd 17 micro, and the early Tesoro deep search.
All 3 were good in contaminated areas, while still maintaining good depth.
February 28, 2015 06:27PM
Tthe Troy Shadow X-5. The deepst detector I've ever used. Great modulation and separation.
March 01, 2015 03:51AM
Found a lot a stuff with the mini red baron back in the day. Seemed the faster you swept it the deeper it went. Good old machine.
March 01, 2015 04:03AM
My favorite oldies are the
Tesoro Bandido II
Fisher 1265x & 1266x
March 01, 2015 06:04AM
[www.youtube.com] Ran across this searching the above mentioned wow! & HH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2015 01:50PM by rapidroy7.
March 01, 2015 12:02PM
doc holiday Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The old Garrett Deep Seeker circa 1974/5---found
> over 100 CW cannon projectiles and thousands of
> minie' balls over 20 years with it. When it would
> go over a shell the whole machine would vibrate
> from that loooong looooow huuuuuuuuuum. Man to do
> it all over again. Still have it,but it needs work
> bad and Garrett says it's too old,like me.

+1 Those were good ones !!
March 02, 2015 08:21AM
numerous compass 77b still be used on londons river thames foreshore which is massively polluted with metal objects ,mircaulous to watch it winkle out coins amongst nail clusters
March 03, 2015 02:28AM
One not mentioned. Teknetics Mark 1. One of the most accurate analog meters of all time and just splendid audio-ATI (Audio Target Identification). Wonder where we'd be if George didn't go to the commercial side?