Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

F70 headphone choice? + question on volume control

Posted by FloridaBob 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
F70 headphone choice? + question on volume control
May 17, 2010 03:33PM
Looking for your opinions on a set of headphones for my F70. I've been using my Koss UR30s (which I use with my Minelab no problem) but I find that while using them on the F70 the tone pitch (I hunt 4H mostly) at times and especially during pinpointing can give me quite the headache after a couple hours (especially in trash). The volume squeal seems to increase a good bit on the pinpointing as I zero in on the target which is to be expected . Rather than constantly readjusting the volume control on the F70 (the Koss do NOT have independent vol control) I am searching for a good match up pair for the F70. I've read about the volume limiter circuitry on the Gray Ghosts. Anyone have experience with this feature on any of their headphones? Any recommendation on a manufacturer and model is much appreciated.

And the second question - If I do purchase a pair with onboard volume control, where do you like to set the volume on the F70 vs on the headphones themselves. Do you max the F70 volume and then use the headphone control to adjust to the appropriate listening level? Or does it matter?

Many thanks

FB
Re: F70 headphone choice? + question on volume control
May 17, 2010 07:48PM
I have a set og the Black Widow. I love them as I can hear faint tones very easy. They have the limiter and volume control. The only problem I have run across is that they ary very heavy and HOT in the summer.
I have read on other post where users are getting the Bose ear buds and having great results with them. Also have seen where some MDers are opting for the Wally World wireless units, cost less than $50.
I have enough toys to buy batteries for and keep charged, so I have not looked at them.
good luck

T
May 17, 2010 09:40PM
I also have the Black Widows and have used them for several years. I have others also, but always use these. Warranty is great, too. They work great with my F75LTD.

HH,

Mike in East Texas
May 18, 2010 02:30AM
The volume on the headphones.....and the volume on the detector...is DIFFERENT between person-to-person. This must be dialed in by your audible preference. And I could ALMOST recommend specific sets of headphones for individuals, yet, the same rule applies here also. One of the better things to do is to try a few different sets before you buy. If you live within driving distance of KELLYCO......they have plenty for you to test....so as to see if one specific pair corrects your concern.
May 18, 2010 02:42AM
Ive got a set of Killer Bees, been using them for 4 years with no problem.
Aaron
Variables to consider..l
May 18, 2010 02:23PM
Heck we all have different hearing and personal preferences as length of cord earmuff style, weight, warranty etc. etc. but sure a lot of choices in all from low end to high end. A dealer would be a good choice to visit taking your trusty unit with you.

Guess their are pros and cons on the other question but heres my feelings I run the detector at max( little harder on batteries) and adjust the volume control on the headphones. To me using this method getting the most out of your unit rel hearing the deepies but to each his own and perhaps someone can interject technical aspects and imagine it depends on the make model of your unit...
Re: Variables to consider..l
May 19, 2010 12:56AM
Individual hearing acuity is primary determining factor.
May 26, 2010 06:21AM
I've been using a pair of Sunray Gold's and a set of Killer B's and I've had to send both sets back for repair multiple times....GRRRRrrrrr! As a matter of fact, both are going back today.

Repair history:

Sunray:

1) Horseshoe mounts broke on both sides - sent for replacement of horseshoe mounts (was told that there was a bad batch of defective horseshoe mounts)
2) Intermittent short in the headphone jack - sent for repair (two months ago)
3) Intermittent short in the headphone jack NOT FIXED - going back today

Killer B's:

1) Horseshoe mounts broke on both sides - sent for replacement of horseshoe mounts
2) Short in the cable going into the strain release going into the headphone - going back today

Now I'm not knocking Sunray's or Killer B's, BUT I'm getting tired of sending them back for repair work smiling smiley

I've been using a pair of those cheapy $30 "Treasure Wise" headphones....and to be honest, with the F75 LTD their actually not bad at all...one thing I like about them better is the low tone audio is more pleasant and the high coin tones aren't so sharp (ie mental fatigue)....I dunno, maybe these $100+ a pair headphones aren't all their cracked up to be ??? Oh and I'm really not hard on my headphones, they don't get stepped on, snagged in brush, or beat up, their used but not abused smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2010 06:25AM by Cal_cobra.
May 26, 2010 02:05PM
Thanks for the good "personal experience" response. That's a bit disturbing to hear that with normal use both sets have faired poorly. Kindof makes me want to consider the cheap alternative and just replace as necessary. In the long run it may be a money saver and a lot less aggravation than constantly returning for repair.
May 26, 2010 03:13PM
We use the uniprobe pinpointer and headphones all in one unit..Great can't hunt with anything else and I have tried...it seems to make money you have to cut corners or you have to pay big bucks to get a great products

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
May 28, 2010 04:37AM
i got a set of treasure wise phones too!..i think they sound really good!
yes!..they ARE a cheaper price,but they work damn well in my view!
individual volume control on BOTH channels!..too!..f-75 here!

(h.h!)
j.t.