Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Omega & CZ-70 Finds from Alameda & San Francisco

Posted by Cal_cobra 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Omega & CZ-70 Finds from Alameda & San Francisco
May 18, 2010 09:48PM
I haven't been getting out much lately as I've been trying to find a new job, not a good time to be looking for a job in my field sad smiley At any rate, I managed to get out to Alameda last Saturday to hit a stingy spot with my Omega. I was there for about three hours and managed to find eleven wheatbacks (the deepest one was a bit over 7"):

Only one silver coin, a 1942S silver war nickel. Also found a sterling silver ring that's seen better days, but silver is silver, so I'll take it!

The find of the day for me was an interesting token. One side is marked "Ginger" and the other side says "Good For 1 Pack of Cigarettes." I was able to find the same token on Richard's token database, and if I'm reading it correctly it appears to be from an amusement park in Chicago, Illinois. Anyone have any idea of the date? I was thinking between WWI - WWII ???

Here's the link to the same token at Richard's token database:

Richard's Token DB

Here's my token after a light buff with some H2O and baking soda:

Yesterday I met a MD club member at HMB early AM to hit the low tide with my CZ-70. HMB ended up being sanded in no matter what beach we tried. Mike did manage to pull one silver washington off the beach in one little coin pocket we worked, but aside from that it wasn't happening so we decided to head up to GGP for the afternoon despite the rain.

Mike had found a area where they'd pulled some ivy out last week and pulled a seated dime out, so we went back to see if they removed any more, but they hadn't so we decided to work around the area. Wasn't getting much, until I started working a little strip of lawn nearby and pulled a wheatie. Better then what we'd been finding, so I stayed put (this would prove to be a wise choice). A bit later I got 7" deep 1916S Barber dime. Kept working the area and managed one more silver before going home, but this was probably a gopher gime, as the merc was only a couple of inches deep, but that's OK with me smiling smiley

Nice silver to wheatback ratio for GGP smiling smiley

With this past hunt I've found 65 silver coins so far this year, far exceeding my first two years of detecting combined!

2010 totals:
Barber dimes: 6
Mercs: 28
Silver Rosies: 13
Standing Lib Quarters: 1
Silver Washingtons: 9
Walker Silver Halfs: 3
Silver Foreign Coins: 1
Liberty Head Nickels: 2
Buffalo Nickels: 3
Silver War Nickels: 4
Indian Heads: 5
Silver Jewelry: 21
Sterling flatware: 3
Gold Jewelry: 8

Thanks for looking and HH,
Brian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2010 10:01PM by Cal_cobra.
Re: Omega & CZ-70 Finds from Alameda & San Francisco
May 18, 2010 10:12PM
Brian...nice finds. Cool token.

Hopefully you won't be hunting as much in the future because you will be working ! Good luck and God Bless on that venture.
May 19, 2010 12:47AM
Like the Barber......but it's quite possible that token may be worth more than all other targets combined. I find...............time and time again..............my wheat to silver ratio is 5-1/2-to-1.
dgc
May 19, 2010 03:09AM
Very nice finds Brian. You've got the coin shooting technique down for sure. Good luck to ya.
May 19, 2010 04:23PM
Great finds Brian!!! WTG!!!
June 03, 2010 11:14PM
Nice finds Brian! I'll be back in Cal this summer, any special area of GGP you detect? Hope to see you there.

HH

Tim