Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tom what detectors do you like best and why?

Posted by jamt225 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Tom what detectors do you like best and why?
March 23, 2016 09:38PM
Hello Tom,
I'm new. Can you please update this list for 1Q2016?
Regards
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gold Bug-2.........hands down...........for
> micro-jewelry hunting and for medium & light
> mineralization prospecting.
>
> Minelab GPX-4500 (w/DD coil) for high
> mineralization dirt prospecting.
>
> F75 LTD for relic hunting. This is for extremely
> high-trash areas..........all the way down to...
> no-trash.
>
> F75 LTD or CZ-3D for coin hunting. The LTD .....in
> this case.....would be reserved for high (iron)
> trash coin hunting sites.
>
> AquaStar-II.........hands down..........for wet
> salt slope and in the water. This is a PI unit
> with extreme power and no intelligence
> (all-metal). Smaller coil for water.........and
> large coil for wet slope. (( I will switch to a
> CZ for wet salt IF the area to be hunted is
> extremely trashed-out with iron.........which is
> rare )).
>
> Au-21X..........hands down........... for
> blanket-line/towel-line dry sand hunting.
>
> Minelab Explorer-II/SE/E-trac for any/all types of
> hunting (coins, relics, jewelry) in high
> mineralization areas.
>
> Naut. DMC-2B is a VERY powerful unit for it's
> time; however, for relic and/or coin hunting the
> elliptical DD coil detectors have a substantial
> edge over this old (and respected) technology.
>
> ..........I'm starting to have questions/respect
> for the new proto White's V3; yet, comments
> (justifiably) reserved.
>
> Tek G2 may skew above data...........when
> released.
>
>
> Tom
March 25, 2016 03:43PM
How interesting. I have not reviewed this (approx 6 year old) thread in quite some time. Technology certainly has changed. Soooooooo....................... as of current day............................. the answers are different do to technological advancements.... as follows:

* Micro-jewelry hunting: Will "probably" go to the new Makro Racer Gold; yet, I need to perform some real-world field-testing. (Bench & test-garden testing is complete). Fisher Gold Bug-2 is still 'flagship'...... unless/until I field-test Racer Gold.

* Minelab GPX/GPZ series for severe mineralization areas........ and reserved for extreme relic hunting and prospecting....... due to 'no ID' capabilities.

* CZ-3D for "old coins" hunting in general-condition areas.

* F75LTD/SE for deep relic hunting in medium mineralization (or less) ...... and medium iron trash content (or less). This unit also suits 'old coins' hunters in many applications.

* XP GMP or Deus for relic hunting in carpets of nails.

* AquaStar-II for all-metal wet salt jewelry hunting.

* Fisher CZ-20/21 or Minelab Excal/Sov for general gold jewelry hunting (VLF with ID) in the wet salt. CTX-3030 in the same league.

Now............... with all of the above said: Enter the new Makro/Nokta detectors. They are more cost-efficient/dollar value than many of the above detectors. . . . AND ........ can fit multiple applications. For instance...... the Racer and Racer-2 are extremely good relic hunters and coin hunters. They fit a more 'broad' range of detecting; yet, if you are needing to fill a extreme niche to maximum capabilities..... the above detectors take the lead.
May 08, 2016 07:09AM
Hello.
As a new comer to detecting and to your forum, I would like to thank you and all members for the inspiring environment and the wealth of information you share'

That is quite a selection of machines and situations, and I feel a bit naive about the depth of knowledge it represents. Placer mining with equipment is my living, and I'm intending to use a detector for outlining pay-streaks. My aim is flag areas off, as layers are striped with dozer/excavator, say one foot at a time. The average particle size distribution is in the range of >0.1 g to 1 g gold. Also would like to catch the >5/8" chunks which would not pass through Mr. Screener and into the sluice. Bedding is saturated with magnetite. My query is, where might this scenario fit within the "reviewed" list?

Thank you
May 08, 2016 11:25AM
I would categorize this as 'uncharted territory' ....... and lack of 'skill-set' against me....... as I do not have any experience with this; however, two thoughts come to mind:

1. I speculate the Fisher Gold Bug-2 and/or the Makro Racer Gold would best suit your application.

2. A forum member (Humble Pie)....... would potentially have your answer......... as he hunts/detects in similar application.
May 08, 2016 11:46AM
Well I guess the Racer Gold is out. I have to say it is good on the tiniest pieces of aluminum but it has not found the first piece of micro gold. Hunted numerous beaches and at least 30 VB courts and not the first one of the items listed above. I have found 2 rings, one gold band and a diamond ring lost by a lady at Myrtle Beach. Both I'm sure my ET would have found. Granted none could be there but with all the hassles I have had with the police and the Park Rangers I traded it for the R2 Friday. I went to a jewelry store and did a test with a single post 10k white gold ear ring and even at top gain it barely saw it past 1 inch even at top gain. Silent EMI? May have even just been my MD but gave it more than a chance and there were features I liked but just time to move on to a different MD. None the less the police have warned me to stop with the VB courts or they would arrest me. Long story and I'm told by Park director not breaking rules but the black rangers have a thing and that s another story. White rangers never bothered me. Sold my business and now my house is going on the market so I can move to Toms neck of the woods by the end of the year. So will get a GB 2 then.
May 08, 2016 12:08PM
Wow
WOW!
and
WOW!!!!

(((( More to comment on...... but out of time! ))))
May 08, 2016 01:45PM
ShovelNose Wrote:
> Well I guess the Racer Gold is out. I have to say
> it is good on the tiniest pieces of aluminum but
> it has not found the first piece of micro gold.
> Hunted numerous beaches and at least 30 VB courts
> and not the first one of the items listed above. I
> have found 2 rings, one gold band and a diamond
> ring lost by a lady at Myrtle Beach. Both I'm sure
> my ET would have found. Granted none could be
> there but with all the hassles I have had with the
> police and the Park Rangers I traded it for the R2
> Friday. I went to a jewelry store and did a test
> with a single post 10k white gold ear ring and
> even at top gain it barely saw it past 1 inch even
> at top gain. Silent EMI? May have even just been
> my MD but gave it more than a chance and there
> were features I liked but just time to move on to
> a different MD. None the less the police have
> warned me to stop with the VB courts or they would
> arrest me. Long story and I'm told by Park
> director not breaking rules but the black rangers
> have a thing and that s another story. White
> rangers never bothered me. Sold my business and
> now my house is going on the market so I can move
> to Toms neck of the woods by the end of the year.
> So will get a GB 2 then.

Naw just your imagination as blacks can't be racist,right.lol

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.
May 08, 2016 03:20PM
Thanks Tom, despite the lack of perspective in this particular "real-world", your opinion is yet another special nugget. With this, I'm now prospecting for "Humble Pie".
smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2016 07:27AM by bcgoldminer.
May 08, 2016 03:49PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> * AquaStar-II for all-metal wet salt jewelry
> hunting.

Any suggestions for anything close to this? I currently have a White's DF. I would get a TDI but they aren't waterproof and I mostly only use the PI in the water because our east coast beaches are pretty trashy. I have a CZ21 for the beach/sand.
May 08, 2016 04:47PM
Tom, are these your picks for your area or the whole country, thanks
May 08, 2016 10:30PM
The Minelab Explorer, E-trac, CTX-3030, and other BBS and FBS detectors have server me well at salt water beaches.

New Gold Bug 2 is to be delivered Monday so I can get in on the Micro-Jewlery that many others are overlooking.
Based this decision on Tom's reviews and field testing.

Got a CZ-5 that I would never sell or trade but if I had to choose one it would be the CTX-3030.
Its waterproof for water hunting and ideal for the beach.
May 09, 2016 12:02AM
Adam, , , , the Gold Scan-5 is another (nearly identical) option. Keep an eye out on 3-bay...... or detector classifieds for one of these......................... otherwise....................... the TDI is the next closest thing.

Caretaker....... yes, these pics are for the entire Country....... with one addition. I would suggest the XP GMP for 'old coins' hunting in fairly heavy mineralization.
March 26, 2017 09:09AM
Tom, any updates to your list for 2017?
March 26, 2017 02:07PM
Funny this exact thread would crop up again....... at a 'turning-point' moment. Yes...... my list is about to change...... and I should have a solid answer in about 6 days. Remind me if I lose track of time.
March 27, 2017 02:51AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Funny this exact thread would crop up again.......
> at a 'turning-point' moment. Yes...... my list i
> s about to change...... and I should have a solid
> answer in about 6 days. Remind me if I lose track
> of time.

Impact?
March 27, 2017 01:54PM
Yes
April 02, 2017 12:17AM
Just throwing out a reminder nasaTom as you asked, it's been 6 days spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
April 02, 2017 12:50AM
Is this one of them?
[www.fisherlab.com]
April 02, 2017 03:00AM
I have now collected enough aggregate data to make a definitive decision/statement on my equipment selection. Nutshell update:

1. I am so comfortable with either the Makro Racer Gold or Fisher Gold Bug-2 for (specifically) micro-jewelry hunting. In some instances...... I prefer the Racer Gold for it's VDI ID abilities. Then..... there are times..... I like the simplicity of the non-metered Gold Bug-2 with 'Iron Disc' invoked........... and the (no-brainer) 'beep=dig' hunt methodology. The bottom line aggregate conclusion is ..... both units are nearly identically capable (field performance-wise).

2. NOKTA IMPACT: This is what has been my largest point-of-contention time-delay. The past 21 hunts required the measurement of my 'gut'....... once I discovered I needed to stop field-testing (with subsequent: continuous scientific analyzation) the Impact ..... so I could simply 'see' what unit I naturally gravitated towards...... on each/every hunt. I had been forcing myself to 'learn more' about the Impact....... which....... in turn...... biased my selection; hence, the requirement to cease-and-desist this (somewhat unforeseen) bias. Now I can answer (with gut confidence)...... as to my primary hunting detector selection. Here is what I have concluded:

a) I may be in love with relic hunting..... to the point of a burning passion (sickness); yet, I am more of a 'old coin' hunter than (even) I suspected. This causes me to still grab the boost process F75 (deliberately without DST). There is something-to-be-said (and critical value placed upon) the 'coin tones' of the F75 platform. BUT....... where I use to carry 3 detectors with me on each/every hunt........in order of importance/significance:
(1) A boost process F75.
(2) A New-in-Box boost process F75 (as a critical/mandatory back-up unit).
(3) A 10.5" CZ-3D.

b) Now the ball-game has changed. I NOW carry the following 3 detectors on each/every hunt in order of importance/significance:
(1) A boost process F75.
(2) A Nokta Impact (w/both coils)
(3) A 10.5" CZ-3D

The Impact is now on my 'significant' (requirement) list.

This may not sound like much of a change; HOWEVER................. there are unforeseen significant genre. I must state for the record: The CZ-3D with 10.5" coil is for maximum depth on old coins in clear fields. Since I rarely hunt/detect 'clear fields'....... the CZ is a distant 'secondary' unit. . . . . . rarely seeing field-use/employment. I nearly always hunt with the F75. ///////////////// Now that the Impact enters into the equation....... some significant 'changes' have taken place. I will still 'start' my hunt with the F75. But................ and sometimes in short order................ I'll switch over to the Impact. When I am relic hunting........ I need/want the Impact. When I am coin and relic hunting...... I want the Impact. When I am 'scouting' I'll take either unit. When I am 'old coin' hunting......... it's always the F75 with 4-Tone invoked. Case closed. Finale.
April 02, 2017 05:14AM
Oops. Just got an answer from Fisher when I asked. All of my below post is wrong. Oh well.. it seems their graphics artist working on the "sell sheet" used the T2 faceplate image by mistake, instead of the F75. It will be corrected. No change to the ProArc - it's still an F-75.

Looks like Fisher has updated the ProArc model. This came out in 2012, for the professional and institutional market. It was basically a complete kit built around the F-75.

This one has a different face and some of the stuff is new, like the "messages" block and the menu on the all metal sode (which is swapped right to left with the discrim).

Some softeare changes - at least in the menus.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2017 01:29PM by lytle78.
April 02, 2017 06:51AM
With what I've been reading about the Impact and there has been a lot written about this new machine.
I feel I can conclude it is a top of the line VLF with decent EMI handling. This decent EMI handling hinders its depth to some degree when pushing for ultimate depth.

Anyone concur?

When I next visit my dealer I will have to check-out this new tool in the box.

HH
Johnb
April 02, 2017 11:07AM
From your other posts, are you still finding that the Fisher is still only a tad deeper? I know that's a big thing for you. And by tad, I mean very slight difference
April 02, 2017 12:46PM
Thanks tom!
April 02, 2017 01:44PM
Rick & shoveler = Interesting you bring up the ProArc....................... as, just last week......... I ran into tons of my e-mails of back-and-forth comm's with Fisher about this project. In fact; Tim Mallory, Mike Scott, my self and one other individual...... met in Orlando on two separate meetings for in-depth brainstorming on this project.

JohnB = EMI is fairly minimal (when compared to many other hyper-gain VLF IB Motion Discrimination units) ............. yet, EMI certainly is a depth limiting/prohibiting incursion with any detector platform.......and most notable on hyper-gain unit(s). When different brands of hyper-gain units are exposed to the exact same EMI........ they all suffer; yet, the Impact (thus far) leads the pack in still retaining the best depth performance. . . . . . by being the least affected. The Impact does indeed allow you to drive the Sensitivity/gain much higher than should ever be allowed (((a blessing in disguise))) ........ and this is where you can see/hear/feel/witness a lot of EMI. Should you ever find a EMI-clear area...... this large amount of Sensitivity/gain will present tremendous depth gains. . . . . . especially/particularly in lower mineralization dirt.

DidDugNY = No....... the Impact is the clear winner in the department of depth over the F75 LTD/SE......... by about 2-3mm on a clad dime........ in real (lower mineralized) dirt. The first generation of Impact prototypes were not quite as deep as the F75 LTD/SE..... but with the later-generation units...... this is no longer the case.
April 02, 2017 03:19PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> DidDugNY = No....... the Impact is the clear winne
> r in the department of depth over the F75 LTD/SE..
> ....... by about 2-3mm on a clad dime........ in r
> eal (lower mineralized) dirt. The first generation
> of Impact prototypes were not quite as deep as the
> F75 LTD/SE..... but with the later-generation unit
> s...... this is no longer the case.

So you still grab the f75 for old coin hunting because the tones?
April 02, 2017 03:37PM
Yes...... and specifically because of the 'boost process' mode coupled with the coin 4-tone mode. The Impact is indeed deeper in the DEEP mode (only); yet, is only 2-tone capable whilst in DEEP mode. Any of the other modes do not express the depth advantage of DEEP mode.

I have transgressed from 'analysis-to-paralysis' ...... with the Impact....... trying to overcome this condition. No joy; hence/subsequently......."why" the F75 is still my primary/initial choice.
April 02, 2017 04:04PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Yes...... and specifically because of the 'boost p
> rocess' mode coupled with the coin 4-tone mode. Th
> e Impact is indeed deeper in the DEEP mode (only);
> yet, is only 2-tone capable whilst in DEEP mode. A
> ny of the other modes do not express the depth adv
> antage of DEEP mode.
>
> I have transgressed from 'analysis-to-paralysis' .
> ..... with the Impact....... trying to overcome th
> is condition. No joy; hence/subsequently......."wh
> y" the F75 is still my primary/initial choice.

That's right, I remember discussing this. Maybe in the near future they will add a 3rd or 4th tone to DEEP mode in an update. That is if a number of people come to the same concesus
April 02, 2017 05:22PM
Are the detector choices based off of the performance with stock coils and excluding after market coils? I know you said in the post above that it would be the Impact with two coils. I am assuming you are comparing depth to the F75 with the stock coil and the Impact with the stock coil as well. There are a wide variety of coils available for the F75 and some of them I liked a lot better than the stock coil. I am actually getting ready to shuffle some things around and acquire one of the newer F75s. I will pass on the Impact.
April 02, 2017 08:52PM
It is a absolute requirement to compare apples-to-apples (when ever possible)......... so; yes, 11" elliptical DD coil on Impact is being compared to 11" elliptical DD coil on F75. The smaller Impact coil is the 7-1/2" elliptical DD coil. There are no aftermarket coils for the Impact.
April 02, 2017 10:32PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:

>
> DidDugNY = No....... the Impact is the clear winne
> r in the department of depth over the F75 LTD/SE..
> ....... by about 2-3mm on a clad dime........ in r
> eal (lower mineralized) dirt. The first generation
> of Impact prototypes were not quite as deep as the
> F75 LTD/SE..... but with the later-generation unit
> s...... this is no longer the case.

That's about the thickness of two thin badly worn dimes. I've grown quite fond of my F75LTD/SE for good reason, it works great when it comes to cherry picking for silver coins, it's balanced well for easy all day swinging and the warranty and service are top notch. It and my Tesoro detectors team up great together. If they'd make a CZ3D as well balanced I'd be a happy camper.

tabman