Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Can you over drive Sens and miss a target?

Posted by FloridaBob 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Can you over drive Sens and miss a target?
May 26, 2010 02:26PM
Just wondering if it is possible to increase the Sensitivity on the F70/75 to the point where you actually may miss a target. This can occur with some Minelab units when Sens is increased or maxed out and the situation becomes: "More is NOT better!". Most of the postings here seem to suggest to max out Sens until you lose stability, then back off just a little. I've read time and again where Tom suggests to not overdue the Sens. So...the question is...is there a situation where a high Sens (even though stable) setting may actually be a detriment and cause us to miss a target because of too much gain? Maybe the Fisher is immune to this but there is a good bit of discussion on the Minelab forum regrading too much Sens. It might be interesting to re-hunt an area at lower Sens and see what might happen.

Bob and his F70
Re: Can you over drive Sens and miss a target?
May 26, 2010 05:16PM
Absolutely yes.
Case in point.
You're hunting for the deeper, older coins that you hope will be more valuable.
You're listening for the faint deep beeps.
Now you're running the machine hot. Chatter etc.
Now how much of the chatter would sound just like a deep faint beep?
These guys that will only run the F75 at max are in no doubt missing some deep fringe targets.
Now don't get me wrong, you can run the F75 at max and can easily pick up those shallow to mid depth targets with no problem.
May 26, 2010 06:25PM
Good point markg. Based on your comment how do you prefer to hunt for the deeper older target (conditions permitting)? Less Sens and more Thres?
May 26, 2010 08:40PM
I have yet to find a scenario of where a lower Sens setting will acquire a target with better resolution on the F-series units. This is contradictory to expectations (a paradox); yet, has been confirmed time-n-time again. I have reported this numerous times in other threads. Yes, the audio fatigue factor does come into play fairly heavily.....if you are running the unit deep into the 'chatter' mode via high Sens settings. In iron infested sites..... a higher Sens setting is unsuspectingly the better choice. This does NOT hold true with other units.

You can practice this on (especially) the F75 by hunting a site with a very moderate Sens setting......and you will be surprised as to the units performance (and stability). ......... THEN.... increase the Sens a bunch,,,to the point of where you are acquiring 'some' chatter....and hunt the exact same parcel of land again. You'll be in for a good surprise!
May 26, 2010 09:46PM
Tom against some of advise of yours i read about the 3D being optimal at 4.8 sens i have recently learnt how to deal with my machine perfectly balanced but sens on 10....
I have found some good targets and winkled out coins and buckles between heavy iron targets...
Question is am i actualy missing some targets by making the coil footprint so large and the machine running so hot?
Remember its UK soil i'm hunting and trying to winkle out these deep hammered silver coins....
May 27, 2010 12:06AM
In the last week or so I have been running my T-2 (standard) in 99 sens while in think blankets of nails and I can honestly say that the 99 sens and zero disc 2+ tone will unmask targets that the lower sens setting's will not see...

It's not like you just set it at 99 and start digging great sounding targets ... But it does give you some more Audio ( High tone buzzy type hits) that would normally be just a low iron grunt...

Why it does it???? (Still believe It's the Coil!!!) but it does... I started doing it because I was running my Omega at 99 sens in the iron and never thought to try the T-2 wide open and to my amazement it started opening up some targets...And at the same time proved to me while the Omega is a nice machine at a great price it will not do what the T-2 will coil for coil...Close but no quite!

If you are serious about relic hunting( Civil war is my passion especially the house sites of the era) or even looking for centuries old coins in old habitat sites where iron is a constant "machine gun" sound do your self a favor on the First Texas T-2 F-75 detectors and open them up... If you can take the noise that is!!

It will open your eyes..

One other thing I also noticed in my area is the 99 sens actually cuts down on the Iron false signal's ( Might be getting a better look at them?)

Keith
May 27, 2010 01:26AM
The T-2 & F-series (and DD Omega) units are the only units where this principle applies (high Sens settings in high trash areas). The CZ has a propensity to 'false' at a higher frequency/rate whilst running Sens at max....in high trash environments.You CAN learn its language; yet, it can be a bit more fatiguing.
May 27, 2010 11:00AM
FloridaBob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good point markg. Based on your comment how do
> you prefer to hunt for the deeper older target
> (conditions permitting)? Less Sens and more
> Thres?

Every place I hunt holds something different when it comes to how I hunt. Please keep in mind that the statement I posted about missing targets and the sensitivity settings are only in relation to the very deep targets that are just on the outer fringes of detection (where if the coil was not on the ground would be silent) and not the ones that are more easily detected. I knew I'd get slack, but if the chatter has the same sound as a fringe target I'll miss it every time.
May 27, 2010 03:09PM
Well fringe on the LTD is different I can see what you are saying but the LTD is different but Tom hunts in a sandy ground no minerals so yeah I say what ever works and oc course you can always find a fringe target and turn up your sens and see if you would miss it.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!