Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Iron volume adjustment (term is misleading)

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Iron volume adjustment (term is misleading)
February 28, 2015 04:52AM
I thought I would comment on this. The term iron volume adjustment is indeed misleading. A better term may be "below or under disc audio" adjustment. I say this because take for instance the XP deus. It has an iron volume adjustment. But guess what, depending on where you have your disc set at will affect what is reported in the so-called iron audio. For instance I can set my disc on Deus to 10, and have iron vol on or off and get a high tone while sweeping a nickel, screen reading 53. Next adjust disc to 56 and sweep nickel. With iron tone set to off/0 there is no tone. Now turn on iron volume and sweep. You will get a low tone, and this tone is adjustable by adjusting iron audio level. Now I used a nickel in this experiment but could have used a small gold nugget, pull tab, etc. And depending on my disc setting the same results could be obtained. So when using deus, depending on your disc setting, you can actually get nonferrous to report as iron audio, and can adjust the volume of this acquired tone with the iron audio adjustment on Deus. Now I'm not sure how all the other detectors that have iron audio are set up. But you can see this could be misleading. A better term imo would be ID mask audio adjustment. And we have heard the term ID mask before haven't we??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2015 04:57AM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Iron volume adjustment (term is misleading)
February 28, 2015 09:20AM
"Iron-tone volume" would be my suggestion.
February 28, 2015 12:41PM
I dont find it misleading.pretty easy to understand what is meant.
February 28, 2015 12:59PM
I can see where an experienced detectorist would not be mislead. But how about beginners or less experienced?? I was just merely putting this info out there. Some may hear tone coming through the iron channel thinking iron all the way, when in fact depending on their disc setting, this may not be the case. I happen to like the 2 terms target audio, and disc audio.
February 28, 2015 01:20PM
Not sure what you call it - but this seems to be the magic that helps find good targets with in a field of iron. What still confuses me is the difference in how this works and why in some units it seems to help unmask like magic and in others no so much.

So on my T2 if I understand correctly I have 4 levels of iron audio volume high, medium, low and mute. If I understand it correctly (and not sure I do) the T2 when iron audio is on will sound off a low tone on everything 40 and below on discriminator. If discrimination is set at 40 everything above iron will sound and display. But will iron will still sound a low tone if a iron audio tone is selected or do I need to set discrimination lower then 40 to hear iron? So if the latter is true then discrimination needs set just below small iron so can hear the nails but not the horse shoe?

Since I like to hunt by tone maybe I should set it a 0 disc so I hear it all.

My MXT I believe works a little different. I can set it up so that everything below disc level sounds off as iron and everything above goes high. I think there are more options - still learning smiling smiley. In relic can select Iron Grunt which is a distinct sound.

But on Racer, CoRe, Deus seems like you can define the point where audio sounds off as iron and the volume of that iron sound. Kind of like MXT but on MXT can no adjust volume.

How you mix Iron Audio with your target audio seems like it is key to unlocking some masked targets.

Last if I remember from reading and watching the Racer and I believe the CoRe have reduced the delay in audio response so you can hear it all and when it happens so if a coin and a nail are in same spot you hear both are in same spot if they are separated you can hear that as well. - is that correct.

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
Smile its a good for you!
February 28, 2015 02:27PM
Iron audio works for me vs ID mask audio adjustment. Not misleading IMO on the F-19 and Eurotek Pro that I use.
February 28, 2015 03:51PM
Bryanna...... did you get a chance to read the "Rcpt Ack of F75 LTD Proto" thread entirely? (Time permitting). I THINK this is where I reported...... in detail...... how the iron Disc works on the F75 (which is the same as T2 & F70). It is a divorced Disc system..... whereby...... the ID numbers are independent from Disc settings. (This may have been reported in one of the threads titled (COMPILATION #1 or COMPILATION #2).
In full detail.
February 28, 2015 06:51PM
Thanks Tom - have read some but not all - will start from the beginning so I get it all smiling smiley

NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bryanna...... did you get a chance to read the
> "Rcpt Ack of F75 LTD Proto" thread entirely? (Time
> permitting). I THINK this is where I
> reported...... in detail...... how the iron Disc
> works on the F75 (which is the same as T2 & F70).
> It is a divorced Disc system..... whereby......
> the ID numbers are independent from Disc settings.
> (This may have been reported in one of the threads
> titled (COMPILATION #1 or COMPILATION #2).
> In full detail.

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
Smile its a good for you!
February 28, 2015 07:41PM
"Lost in Translation perhaps from the French...'volume de fer'?"