Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Nokta CoRe test info, Future Racer users may be interested

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Nokta CoRe test info, Future Racer users may be interested
February 28, 2015 08:25PM
I did some comparisons using the Nokta FORS CoRe with stock coil over a 10" nickel in 4Fe bar soil. I don't have a Racer but some of this information may indeed apply to it. I left ID mask set to level 10 throughout the test and a pumping ground balance was used.

In DI2 good tone was achieved with sensitivity settings adjusted from 75-97. (note) I didn't try any sensitivity settings outside of this range.
Nickel was loud and clear, sweep speed not overly critical. Coil height very critical imo.
TID reporting in the window. At sensitivity setting 75, good tone, no TID whatsoever even with many multiple sweeps.
At sensitivity level 80, good tone, TID was sporadic coming in the window, with many multiple sweeps.
At sensitivity level 85, good tone, TID was reported on each and every sweep.

In DI3 good tone was achieved with sensitivity levels 80-99. I did try 75, tone weak/broken. But with noted sensitivity settings again sweep speed not overly critical, and again coil height very critical.
At sensitivity level 80, good tone, TID not reported in window, even with many multiple sweeps.
At sensitivity level 85, good tone, TID reported in window, with all multiple sweeps.
At sensitivity level 99, good tone, TID reported in window, with all multiple sweeps.

Now I didn't comment on the accuracy of the TID, when it was reported. I will say though, because of the depth of the nickel in 4 fe bar soil seemed to cause the CoRe unit to up average, lots of times 90 plus readings were observed.

With better soil and or less depth better/more accurate TID may have been achieved.
So CoRe users and future Racer users you might consider this information when attempting to use your unit. Remember the default sens setting on CoRe is 50 (can be changed and set to memory), the Racer 70. And if you're familiar with NASA-Tom's Makro Racer field test data, you'll notice he stated max depth was available with the Racer at default setting of 70 in DI2, but TID I don't think was commented on at this default setting of 70. So a Racer user may want to consider using a higher sens setting than default setting to be able to obtain TID and maybe more accurate TID'; especially on deeper targets.

Since Keith has a Racer and CoRe unit he may want to comment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2015 08:42PM by tnsharpshooter.
I like reading these write ups
February 28, 2015 10:17PM
the more I read about these machines the more they seem to be the cats meow. Being in Canada though I always have to think of maintenance/repair/warranty issues. Without causing a freakout with people, has there been and word on repairs etc with these guys. If I was in the USA I'd certainly prefer being able to ship within the usa, Big K or not. I just realized I took this thread to a different place, sorry. I suppose what I am saying is im liking this machine from almost everything I read by tnsharpshooter and others. It just sucks if I have to send something overseas with our detecting season so short.
Re: Nokta CoRe test info, Future Racer users may be interested
February 28, 2015 10:27PM
Digloo,
This is what I know. There were a few hardware problems with CoRe units. All owner had to do was call or email Nokta and the parts were sent. It was reported these parts and I believe a small coil or 2 were received in 3 or less days. Also, I've heard Makro has a repair/servicing facility inside the USA. I wish Dilek would maybe comment on this and give more details i.e. repair capabilities, and maybe go into more discussion about warranty repairs overall. I indeed understand your concern.
February 28, 2015 11:29PM
I have the Core with 3 coils. Also have a 2nd controls box sent to me from Nokta in Turkey.it is the updated box with the updated switches to red flush covered buttons. The Core is amazing. Well built and was at my door in 4 days, from Turkey.
March 01, 2015 12:03AM
That's kind of cool if they can assess the issue and send parts for your own self fix. A more modular type design for easier home repairs is a good idea. I'd feel better about sending things to the states as well. I believe we have garret and perhaps Minelab fixing if needed up here. That's about it.
March 01, 2015 03:04AM
Hi,,,Thanks for the info maybe I can apply this knowledge to my Compadre........JJ
March 01, 2015 07:20AM
Saw an impressive Racer test a fellow did with a plastic bin fill of red soil from Culpepper. 6" of soil, to be exact. He said most VLF machines loose it after 5" of depth. He tried a Racer on default settings, ground balanced to the red soil and under the 6" red soil he placed a three ringer, and the Racer picked it up with correct TID with ease. He then tried a T2 with the same sensitivity settings as the Racer, and nada, not a peep. Gotta say that was impressive.
March 01, 2015 09:57AM
The video you are referring too...I can give testimony to the Culpeper dirt being very hard on VLF machines. The result they got with the T2 is the same as most VLF machines. If the machine doesn't have an all metal mode, you are in trouble and gonna have an empty pouch at the days end if you are hunting in disc mode and expecting banging signals and good ID. Everything gets downgraded to the iron range in quick order. My soil does the same thing. Very few VLF machines can do well in it. I would suspect that even the Racer will start to do the same thing, but at what depth point will it take to start doing it? Some machines can get down to 6-7 inches before the transition occurs. The eTrac and CTX are two examples of that...can properly ID a dime down to around 6 inches but at 8 inches, its non existing. MXT is about the same. But if the Racer can go down to even just 7 to 9 inches without transitioning to iron readout, then that is gonna open up about 3 inches of stuff that people have walked over and assumed was iron with other machines. In our game, gaining 3 inches with good ID is pretty doggone good. I'll sit back and see what happens with it. I'm not gonna get too giddy.
March 01, 2015 04:59PM
Hi Brian,,,,,The Racer is maxed out depth wise before 70 the T-2 is not even close to being maxed out at 70....So in reality it was not a fair test....But for those people that don't know this, they will buy one just because of what they saw....The Fisher CZ -3D will max out before 5 and a Tesoro Tejon at 10 plus....If we was to test these two machines and put them both on 4 or 5 the 3 D will win easily..........JJ

"Racer picked it up with correct TID with ease. He then tried a T2 with the same sensitivity settings as the Racer, and nada, not a peep. Gotta say that was impressive."