Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Railroad Camp sites

Posted by Lawrenzo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Railroad Camp sites
March 01, 2015 02:14AM
I think I may have found a couple of Railroad camp sites or work areas. I have found these camps about two hundred feet from the tracks. Lots of flat iron but also some railroad spikes, square head nails, horse shoes, parts to pocket watches, axes. Also found old iron stoves. My question is where I live they are not using the tracks anymore and they date back to the 1840-1870. How far apart were these camps or work sites..And were they camps where they slept? I have a feeling where I live in the gold country these camps could be all over the place. Anyone know any info on this subject. It is fun digging these camps or work areas. I will dig all iron just to clean the area up and I like iron relics...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
Re: Railroad Camp sites
March 01, 2015 02:48AM
I think you'll find that most of the Northern California railways didn't get started until the mid 1800's at the very earliest, and most were not really going until the 1870's.

Check this out:

[www.railswest.com]

I've ready before some accounts that noted approximately how far apart RR camps were, and have read posts on various forums where people have tracked down the camps and made some decent finds.

HH,
Brian
March 01, 2015 03:02AM
Hi,,,good luck on your search...........JJ
March 01, 2015 03:45AM
Hunted an end-of-track town years ago. Over 200 pre 1881 coins came out of that site...
March 01, 2015 03:47AM
I think a lot of these workers were paid in gold coins. My grandma talked about my grandpa working for the railroad in indiana in the 1920's and being paid this way.
March 01, 2015 05:16AM
Hey Lowboy,
Im not an expert,but I believe that railroad was 1880s-90s. Good luck man,probably some nice coins when ya get the spikes out of the way...probably cool locks n lantetnstoo.
March 01, 2015 11:42AM
Some Chinese coins not sure they are worth much but if it is a camp site where Chinese workers lived should find some and they are history so still very cool. I work for railroad much better place to work now days back then it was a very hard and dangerous job.

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
Smile its a good for you!
March 01, 2015 04:55PM
Here is a link to some guys hunting a Nevada ghost town and finding Chinese coins still laying on the ground.

[http://youtu.be/v23-GmAmzeY]

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
Smile its a good for you!
March 01, 2015 05:12PM
Thanks I found two about a mile apart no coins but some interesting iron and spikes and lanterns cooking pots and spons and forks...a few bottles all old

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

March 01, 2015 06:18PM
What kind of bottles Lowboy?? Embossed? Any sodas or whiskeys? Dude,Ill do the diggin if they are old enough. If theyre any pontiled,Im ready to dig now,lol.
March 01, 2015 06:23PM
Just a small trash pit that had some wagon parts in the hole then I saw a small bottle and a belt buckle with some of the learther still attached..I should have dug more but the iron hits were gone..I don't think the glass is worth anything

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]