Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tom and a 5" coil

Posted by markg 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Tom and a 5" coil
May 27, 2010 04:10PM
Tom, I've found a few places close to where I live where the trash is like a trash dump. Pull tabs, foil etc everywhere. Now I was thinking, if no one had ever tried to hunt these areas they might just hold some old coins etc. because less that 100' away I've pulled many Indians and numerous silver coins in the past year.
Now that being said, what would your approach be using the 5" DD coil on the F75?
Sensitivity, discrimination etc.
Thanks in advance
Mark
Re: Tom and a 5" coil
May 27, 2010 07:29PM
I use the 5" DD on the F70 and my experience is that it is poor on IDing nickels and clad cents read as dimes. I bought it just for the reason you are considering and I have to run it blocking out everything below 50 on Desc (otherwise I would be digging every tab and pop top by the hundreds) and that allows me to grab a good bit of clad. Nothing silver, old or deep yet but the park I am "cleaning" is from the 1960's. I figure after about another 90 trips to the park I'll have the coil paid for! : ) I do like the way it gets up close to things and the target separation certainly is much better than the stock coil. I have not yet worked it on an iron infested site, nor on an old homestead. The park GBs about 90, and I run Sens around 70 with Thres near 0 in 4H. I am going to rehunt some of the area with higher Sens and relative Thres and see if I get any better results.
May 28, 2010 01:03AM
Mark,

Run 4-tones only. Put Sens on 80 and use a Disc of '4'. DIG THE TOP TWO TONES! Yes, you will find a fair amount of trash.....as there are plenty of trash items that ID as a coin. Nature of the beast.
May 28, 2010 02:22AM
I would try the 5DD and toms way of hunting not the 11DD.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
May 28, 2010 04:19PM
I have the 5" for my MXT, in and around picnic tables where foil and pop tops are, that you can,t use any coil hardly, this little coil will pick right through. Just move slow, when you get a hit