Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Hit a pounded park with the ATX Pi, And explored a hidden Island.

Posted by Old California 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Hit a pounded park with the ATX Pi, And explored a hidden Island.
March 02, 2015 04:27AM
Funny thing happened today, In-between the rain and sunshine went out with a local friend on a research adventure to an 1850 site, Indians would trade here and was one of the first two Country Seats. First election was held here in 1852 as well, And later Jim Savage was shot and killed at this location he's one of our famous early pioneers. The area is an Island, Yes an island quarter mile in length and well hidden too. Years of research put me onto this site and with owners permission to boot, Grass is too high and wet to dig so we're going to hold off for another few months. Will post a few pics of the island, note the beauty of the terrain pure paradise and untouched to boot!

From here, We decided to go hunt a nearby park in fact the oldest park in our area and to say it's been pounded would be an understatement. Not knowing we were going to hunt a park today, The only two machines in my pickup were an ATX Pi and Deus with 9" coil, My friend had his CTX so ok I'm thinking no big deal will just go after low conductive with the ATX. The park has giving up several shield and v-nickels in it's time as well as seated and barbers, Since silver is slim pickings now we can still dig old nickels.

I think with using the ATX Pi as a relic machine at some of my older areas prepared me for this park, Was only gong after weak low conductive signals (high-low) and boy did it work! Called my friend over to test two deep low conductive signals with the CTX and would not hit on the signal in audio, But had a visual on the screen a weak one but it was there. Our soil is not as great as back east, So anytime we dig coins between 7-9 inches we're pushing the envelope. At this park normally we get coins from 5"-8" inches at most, Two of the five nickels the ATX scored were at a measure 10" inches and the ATX still had plenty of horsepower left to go deeper.

My take for the day was 4 v-nickels and 1 buffalo nickel, This was only in about 2-3 hours had we hunted longer pretty sure could have bagged a few more. My friend did well too, he's got the CTX down with both deep silver and deep nickels. Today was a v-nickel day for him, Think he scored 4 total which is pretty equal to the ATX Pi's take.

For your ATX relic hunters, Go hit an old park with the ATX pretty sure your ratio of digging deep nickels will increase due to all the relic hunting with the ATX. Believe me you'll do well appears relic hunting with the ATX enhances your skill for deep park nickels it sure did me now they are now a piece of cake.

Paul (Ca)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2015 04:29AM by Old California.
Re: Hit a pounded park with the ATX Pi, And explored a hidden Island.
March 02, 2015 04:34AM
Nice digs Paul..

I like that watch fob..I have the same one...Dug it in a Civil war camp but not sure it was as old as the civil war..I thought about 1880 or so...has a Jewelers advertisement on mine for a local town close by ...

Man that ATX is heavy to swing...LOL!!

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 02, 2015 04:43AM
Thanks Keith,

Yes, The watch fob has an advertisement on the back like yours, But some other type of business advertisement. That was a cool find too, Was down about 8" inches signal was loud and clear with the ATX.

Because the park is extremely old, Believe it dates back to 1860's I'm hoping eventually a gold coin will surface. Have a strong feeling if I continue to use the ATX at this park eventually a gold coin will surface, Has too the odds are extremely well.

Thanks again,
Paul
March 02, 2015 11:00AM
Nice digs Paul

looks like a tough place to hunt in those pics!

I too dug a fob like that about a yr or so ago (same shape/etc.) and made of coin silver

mine is from the worlds fair though -- circa 1890s

Thanks for sharing!
March 02, 2015 11:35AM
Very nice finds! It's been a long time since I dug that many old nickels in the same trip. It's been about 40 years ago...Lol! My hats off to the master! I'm sure I could learn a thing or two detecting with you. Congratulations and keep the finds coming...John
March 02, 2015 01:20PM
Why not use the Deus?
March 02, 2015 02:15PM
ATX is deeper.
March 02, 2015 02:55PM
Nice finds with the ATX Paul and that island area looks like it might pan out for you once you hit the hot spot and that is a neat old button Denny pulled out. Good job. smiling smiley.
March 02, 2015 03:25PM
Good stuff man!! Those pulse machines are something else. I wish there was a 5 or 6 inch round DD coil for the GPX. It would be a DEEP coin getter for sure.

You mentioned something about the CTX that caught my attention. The deep signals that don't give audio but give visual on the screen. I have ran into that in my test garden with deep coins. Absolutely zero audio but a target trace visual on the 12 line that follows along the line. I figure there are a lot of deep coins being missed due to no audio...for whatever reason it shows on the screen though.
March 02, 2015 04:18PM
Thanks MichiganRelichunter, John, goodmore, doc holiday, El, Daniel,

MichiganRelicHunter, The watch fob was a treat to see, Thought I had an old foreign coin but then seen the end taper off when the dirt fell off. Still, AS neat find. I'm sold with the ATX, Great relic detector and now with yesterdays park results see it's a killer for nickels and vintage low conductive finds from pounded parks. Sooner or later can see the ATX snagging gold coin from this same park, Just a matter of time smiling smiley

John, I'm still learning every time out that's what is neat about the hobby. So many detectors out there wish I had more time to detect, Maybe when I retire will get out more often.

goodmore, A friend of mine has dug v-nickels from this same park with his Deus, The Deus can get the job done but with the ATX it'll go allot deeper. Plus, Very comfortable with the ATX after hundreds of hours using it as a relic machine. Thought it would do well yesterday at this old park and boy did it ever, From here on out the only two machines I'll be using at this pounded park are the ATX for deep low conductive finds and Blisstool V5. Speaking of low conductive, The ATX snagged three deep zinc pennies which sounded like low conductive which is great that tells me eventually other conductive coins from the zinc range will surface smiling smiley

El, It was a great day wish we could have stayed longer at the park. With no bathrooms at this park, Boy I was ready to bust think we hunted 2-3 hours at most. The Island is the site I've been telling your about, It's so well hidden had a hard time locating it yesterday and we were right beside it. Reminds me of movies when a lost settlement or valley having some form of treasure are well hidden, Truly amazing site looking forward to detecting here when the grass is much lower. The button Denny found was from the park, It looks to be pre-1820 based from the eagle and it being a flat button. Count be wrong but it's old for sure.

Daniel, Hopefully Garrett comes out with a 10" DD. The stock DD is fine but at the park the abundance of targets and underground pipes overwhelms the Pi so had to slow down the swing and search out in cleaner areas focusing on weaker high/low signals. Overall A great Pi and will be used from here on out at this park, And you're absolutely right the CTX audio can not be heard with the deeper signals yet the screen shows it's down there. When I called my friend over to check one of the deep nickel signals, He said it was 10" inches down and sure enough it was, His CTX audio was silent but the screen showed it was there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2015 04:19PM by Old California.
March 02, 2015 04:32PM
that is a good day of hunting

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
March 02, 2015 04:51PM
Hi Paul,,,,Good luck on the Island hunt in the future, this place could hold a plethora of good items....Interesting but not surprising that the old park still holds really deep stuff....It takes someone like you with the right equipment and determination to still pull the goodies out....This place could hold some gold coins too....Keep us posted on this place and your progress....JJ
March 02, 2015 06:00PM
Paul that island looks and sounds like some fantastic detecting times ahead, best of luck!

The ATX looks like it could clean out that park, hope there's gold at the bottom of a hole for you in the future! I have a place that ATX would be fun to use at, targets are getting sparse.

HH,
Brian
March 03, 2015 12:20AM
Nice hunt Paul. Your post of hunts are very exciting and informative.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2015 12:39AM by tnsharpshooter.
March 03, 2015 02:50AM
Dang...I havent hit that many old nickels,since the sovereign. Goid luck on that island...is it peat dirt? How is the balance on the atx...everyone mentions its weight...but the Deus was unbalanced to me,cramped my forearm...but you remember my old sov,with probe andS12,could swing all day.
March 03, 2015 04:32PM
Thanks Lowboy, JJ, Brian, tnsharpshooter,and Ray,

Pretty sure the ATX will continue to do well at this park, And I agree JJ and Brian gold coins are here just a matter of time one will surface. One of the neat things about the ATX is it's sensitivity to small targets especially low conductive, So eventually vintage gold jewelry will surface too have pulled several pieces out of here in the past with Minelab just a matter of time more will surface and now can get the deeper pieces with the ATX. Also, Glad my friend Denny was there to witness these deep nickel digs. Otherwise this would have been hard to believe.

The Island is one of our two oldest sites in the San Joaquin valley, Allot of history and when the election took place in 1852 they used a row boat to relay the voting status back and forth from shore to island while tallying up the votes. This was also a trading post with the Indians, Beautiful place still to this day untouched by man. It's hidden by Mother Nature, Denny and I came up along the back side the other day and we couldn't even see it. My second trip here and still couldn't recognize the hidden entrance the foliage is so thick. The owner is great he will allow me to recover artifacts and as usually the finds go back with the owner.

Ray, The Inland is both dirt and sand, Allot of foliage sort of a jungle type terrain. With the ATX balance well let's say it's built tough as a tank and heavy as one too smiling smiley It's balanced well but the weight of the beast of terrible, With smaller coils then it's ok but the larger Stock DD coil is the go to coil boy is it ever sensitivity to the tiniest finds and deep too. You're heavy Sovereign would be light compared with the ATX, Trust me I should know swung a Sov with al the attachments for a long time smiling smiley

I'll do another hunt in two weeks with the ATX at the same park and post those results, Got to be a gold coin in there smiling smiley

Thanks again forum friends,
Paul (Ca)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2015 04:32PM by Old California.