Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Best way to do a depth test?

Posted by Mojave 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Best way to do a depth test?
May 30, 2010 07:26AM
Whenever I get a new detector, I drive out to the local park and bury some coins at varying depths. It has come to my attention that freshly buried coin tests are not a good indicator of a detector's depth, since the ground is disturbed and the ground matrix does not include the coin, like it would if the coin had been buried for several years. So I'm wondering, what is the best way to test out this new CZ3D?

I don't really have a good place to set up a test garden, since my backyard is loaded with junk. Even if I did, I don't really want to wait several years for the coins to mix in with the ground. I have read several different methods online, and the best one seems to be... dig a hole, and push coins 1-2 inches into the sides of the hole, and run the detector over the ground directly above where the coin would be. The ground matrix issue still exists, but at least the ground is not disturbed above where the coin lies. Has anyone done this, or anything similar, with success? I don't think the ground out here is really terrible... nothing the CZ couldn't handle (I hope). I've been an Explorer user for years so I hope the CZ can at least compete with respect to depth. My last detector was a ground modded Tesoro Cibola, and it failed to find silver coins at 5-6". It was a very poor air tester though, so I might have had a bad unit.

Thanks in advance,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2010 07:27AM by Mojave.
Re: Best way to do a depth test?
May 30, 2010 11:20AM
Buy Tom's first DVD and you'll have the info you need about test gardens
It's a very good learning tool too.
May 30, 2010 11:45AM
In addition...........the CZ is hardly affected by disturbed ground // freshly buried targets.
May 30, 2010 02:18PM
Another way i have found to test is cut a plug about 6 or 7" deep with out destroying the plub, put plub back on top of coin and press very hard into ground. This way the ground is not disturbed
May 30, 2010 03:08PM
Toms video talks about test gardens that you can have up and running with out the long wait.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
Hole plugs that are used on golf courses work real well for this
May 30, 2010 07:41PM
N/T
May 31, 2010 02:22PM
I didn't know that about the CZ