Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

My 2 cents on the new DVD

Posted by Lawrenzo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
My 2 cents on the new DVD
June 06, 2010 05:57PM
Well first Tom looks like the Bill Gates of the detecting world and I mean that in a good way. Second it is almost like meeting him when you see the DVD. Third the info and knowledge Tom has helps me to understand how he knows so much. I think the most interesting thing is Tom's love for history. When he was talking about half dimes I started to think about the five or six half dimes I found at an old camp from the 1840s. And for Calif, to find these made me feel even better. I paused the DVD and went into the other room and looked at some of the history I found from the 1840s and for Calif that is getting old. Then I went back and started to watch the dvd again and learned about how Tom will dig pits and remove the iron and then use his magnet to clean that dirt to find the masked targets.

A huge light went off in my head and I thought about alot of the places I have hunted where we were finding relics that dated back to the 1830s and I thought about how many more targets are being masked. There is that term hunted out sights and then you think about what could be masked and unless you can do what Tom does or scrape a few inches of the dirt off to at least have a chance to find a few more hidden targets we will walk over them and miss them. It would be cool to have a chance to hunt with Tom? Maybe a contest?

Anyway who was the guy that wanted a coffee break and stopped Tom? I could have listened to him for hours, bring your own coffee and let Tom keep going. I know I have found some old relics that only hit from one side but after walking over it time and time again I hit it from the right side and got a tone, dug the target to find an old relic...and I didn't know about digging from about 17 VDI and up on the LTD. I would dig about 22 VDI and upwards but as Tom says when relic hunting you have to hunt differently.. And even when I get an iron hit, I should dig more of those grunts to help unmask what may be next to the iron. In fact at the Chinese Camp I dug a lot of grunts to find axe heads and hammers from back in the day. So anything is fair game when relis hunting.

I have a PI pinpointer and have gone into my holes and pulled out alot of small nails only to find a keeper of a target. I wonder if the PI pinpointer is another way to go through the dirt and get rid of some of the masking. I know the pinpointer won't clean the flakes and dust, and I can't carry a magnet with me but I wish I could.

Then I watched the beach DVD and I don't hunt beaches but when I did I never hunted the way Tom does. That was an eye opener for me and anyone that didn't know that has alot of great info to learn from the DVD. Once I was hunting in Leucadia at a beach and hit the area where all of the surfers and people bask and bake in the sun. I found watches, keys, lighters, rings and a box of Camels with two hundred dollars in it. Someone stashed their money in the box wow that was a two hundred dollar hour... So you can hunt two ways and both are fun but Tom's is the way to go for gold rings.

Anyway it is great that Tom gives back and shares his love for the hobby with us. The DVD is worth the money and the DVD came in a few days...great service great product. I hope Tom you do another DVD and show us more about masking and your magnets and that Fort.

THE ONE THING I WISHED FOR WAS TO SEE WHAT WAS IN TOM'S DISPLAY AND SEE PHOTOS OF TOM'S FINDS..I THINK HE SAID IT WAS WORTH 50 GRAND I WAS SO INTERESTED IN SEEING THOSE FINDS. ANYWAY YOU CAN POST PHOTOS FOR US TO SEE.....?????

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2010 01:06AM by Lawrenzo.
Re: My 2 cents on the new DVD
June 06, 2010 09:15PM
Wow! Thanks for your time LCPM!!! Yes, I'll try to post some photos......but have too many things on my plate at the moment. . . . including watching the 2 DVD's.
June 07, 2010 11:22AM
I've got my DVD's on order, should be here this week.
I know it'll be good.
June 07, 2010 08:17PM
I'm new to this but I felt the same way watching the DVDs. I will probably watch them several more times so more of the education will sink in to be beneficial. Tom did say to learn one detector real good and use your knowledge along with thorough research to be successful but after hearing how all the detectors he has used have their own strengths and weaknesses, it makes me want a collection to choose from for whatever area or application I'm in. Now if only I could hit the lottery..... LOL. Thank again to Tom and to Wally for putting these together.