Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tom, Question on CZ-3D and buffalo nickels

Posted by Scott_B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Tom, Question on CZ-3D and buffalo nickels
March 05, 2007 08:23PM
I just bought a CZ-3D and I was doing an air test on a 1919 Buffalo nickel. In the salt mode it gave a high tone and in Enhanced mode it gave a mid tone. I thought that it should give a high tone on a Buffalo nickel in Enhanced mode. It was a nickel that I got from a club hunt. I don't think it was ever buried. Is that why it is giving a mid tone in Enhanced mode, because it was not buried. A regular nickel will give a high tone in Enhanced.

If I had detected the Buffalo in the ground and it was corroded, would it have given me a high tone? I was under the assumption that the CZ-3D gave a high tone on all nickels in Enhanced mode. Tom, Can you shed some light on this for me. Thanks. Scott

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2007 01:16AM by Scott_B.
Re: Tom, Question on CZ-3D and buffalo nickels
March 06, 2007 02:41AM
Hi Scott,

Sounds like your CZ-3D is functioning properly. Nickels that have been exposed to dirt for 50 years or greater..... should ID as 'nickel' and audibly report as a high-tone. The 3D was never meant to be a 'performer' in an air-test. It's designed for real dirt matrix. If your CZ-3D did not come with a 6th edition "Fisher Intelligence" booklet..... call Fisher/First Texas and get one for free. There are a couple of articles specific to the CZ-3D that should help!

Tom
Re: Tom, Question on CZ-3D and buffalo nickels
March 06, 2007 12:51PM
Hi Tom,
I feel better now. I was worried that I might miss nickels if they ID'ed as pull tab with a mid tone, like this one did in and air test. Knowing that buried nickels will ID as a nickel correctly with a high tone takes a load off of my mind. Thanks for your help. I will call and get the 6th edition today.

Scott